Admit it, swallow your pride and say what players/teams you were wrong or even right about

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
not everyone makes posts in the off season predicting Pt totals but as I look back at the sabres one I did, I got a helll of a lot wrong, lol.

So this can be even if you said out loud to one person or even people you didn’t talk about but in your mind predicted would
Get so and so.

Players I was wrong about

Who did better

MAX DOMI (by a good forty points)
Draisaitl (by a good thirty five points)
monahan (by about 20)
Aho (about 15-20)
ROR (by about 15 pts)
Barkov (by a little)
Giordano and Reilly (20ish)
Lindholm (about 25)
Some sabres below

I was wrong about Who did worse

Jordan Staal (but he was injured I said he’d have double the Pts as first line center but that didn’t end up being the case)
Mallkin (did a lot worse)
Kopitar did a lot worse as did Tarasenko even if both guys sort of ended strong
Some buffalo below (mostly depth guys)

I didn’t Ssy a lot of them would fail as much as I may of wrote once or twice that I thought they’d get x amount and was wrong as they did better.

Some guys did I was right about:

For my team I’ll list below but for league wide

Tavares and marner both got about five to ten more Pts each then I said they would, i was expecting big things and they delivered so I’d say that’s close to a win there.

I felt I was going out on a limb with Matthew Tkachuk predicting over 70 pts and I said barzal at 65 dropping by twenty I felt with how different these totals were with my predictions they are Both wins, I said mcdavid would get 120 and had he payed those extra few that looks to be exactly the case.

As for my team Interestingly enough I got dahlin almost exactly right and Eichel PPG was almost exactly right. But oh my did I miss on everyone in the ror deal, Mittelstadt (though I like how he ended the season and has potential) and a few others.

I also said skinner should score around 40 assuming he’s healthy and with Eichel all year (which he was for about 70 or so games) I got the tots goal number my team would score way off too as a result.

I said 86 pts for jack over 82 games and he got 82 in 77 so that’s pretty darn exact? And I said dahlin would get 8 goals and 38 assists for 46 pts, he got 9 goals and 35 assists. I can provide the link to this thread for those wondering, I’m just on my cell and doing that is a pain or I would. You can find it in my archive made thread in late September asking people to predict their team totals.

As for teams: just ones Who stand out as right on a limb or wrong on a limb not pointing out obvious things like oh the caps and bolts made the playoffs see! I predicted that who cares everyone doeszzzz

I ate crow on isles and canes, and I guess Colorado cause they made it, even though there demise is the second half was exactly the kind of thing i predicted it’s just they made the show. So can’t say I was right to be fair. Montreal I had finishing 7th so they definitely did better then I thought. I was wrong about the oilers I predicted them to make the playoffs. I was also wrong about the panthers as I said they’d get a wildcard like a lot of people did too.

I was right about both New Jersey and Minnesota falling out. I said one of the kings or ducks would miss I just wasn’t sure which one and both did so partially right there. I
I was also right in Calgary making it just didn’t see them winning the west.

Not all of you have to do a reply in my scattered, lengthy style, you can choose to do both or you can just stick to players or teams whatever you choose depending on your desire to write or how much time you have. It’s just fun to look back on the year now that it’s over and this is what makes pre season predictions fun.

Despite my rights and wrongs I finished second out of 25 people In one pool and 14th out of 559 in another so that was greAt for me.

Reactions: zar

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Really did not expect LV to make the playoffs again, I thought last year was a 2006 Oilers type of Cinderella run but I am currently typing this with my foot in my mouth.
Well 2nd worse playoff record team

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Totally wrong about the Blues, I had written them off earlier in the season after the Jets made mincemeat out of them. Bravo Craig Berube

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Thought Drouin would do better...I guess he did up his pt total but he was awful for the last 30ish games.

To play opposite of an above post, I expected another 70+ pts from Couturier and he did that.

zxc55555

Oct 19, 2018
Just about everyone on Calgary aside from Gaudreau vastly outperformed my expectations. Also Brayden Point & Brady Tkachuk.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I was wrong about Calgary, never thought they would be this good.
I was wrong about Kane, I thought he was on the down slope.
I was wrong about Kucherov, never thought he would explode like he did.

I was wrong about Reider, I thought he was an NHL player.
I was wrong about the Panthers, I thought they would be a playoff team this year.
I was wrong about Toronto, I thought they would be better.
I was wrong about the Oilers, I thought they would be a bubble/WC team.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018 and zar
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Buffalo - thought they were going to take the next step and compete for a playoff spot
Metro division - had Columbus and Carolina dominating the division while Washington fighting for the WC and Isles near the bottom

Bonus: Nichushkin - expected him to score more than 0 goals lol

Reactions: Cygnusx1018 and zar

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Drai did way better then I thought, so did Stamkos. I thought drai would be a 70-80 point player and same for stammer.

I knew Morgan Rielly had a good shot of 60 plus points this year.

I knew barzal would regress despite the whole team scoring less and his overall game would be better I knew he was going to score less regardless.

Also recently I called burns finishing the season with 83 points before he played his final game which was neat.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Really did not expect LV to make the playoffs again, I thought last year was a 2006 Oilers type of Cinderella run but I am currently typing this with my foot in my mouth.

I don’t think that’s an “eat crow, then shove your foot in your mouth” type of failed prediction.

They finished 16th in the NHL. Their 93 points/40 ROW would have missed the playoffs in the Western Conference in 8 out of the 13 full seasons played since the 2005 lockout. (That pace translates to 54 points in 48 games, which would also miss the playoffs in the West in the lockout shortened season.)

Beyond that, you didn’t exactly know they would acquire a player like Mark Stone at the trade deadline. They had 71 points in 64 games before acquiring him. That’s a 91 point pace which would miss the playoffs in the Western Conference in 11 of the 13 full seasons since the lockout.

Before they acquired Stone, they were exactly a .500 team against non-Pacific Division teams. That’s probably what you expected them to be. The mistakes you made were in assuming that the Pacific Division wouldn’t be a complete tire fire, and assuming they wouldn’t acquire a Mark Stone level player at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I expected Laine to be better than last year when he potted 44 goals. I was very wrong, but still have high hopes for him to once again dominate the scoreboards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad