Admit it, swallow your pride and say what players/teams you were wrong or even right about

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I can easily say Brayden Point. I knew he would be good but not that good. I expected him to get around 65-70. I'm sorry @DominicBoltsFan :(. I also expected Jost to be better (over 50pts) I thought he would be the one that take the biggest step this year.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
As a Wings fan I didn't expect much from AA this season. His attitude and work ethic came under scrutiny last year but he came out the gate ready to prove himself. There were times this season where he did slip back into bad AA but he scored way more than I expected.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It was, of course, a foregone conclusion that Montreal was going to have another below-average season, because they clearly hadn't learned from the Drouin debacle and were trying yet another youngish winger at C who'd tried that position before and failed. Sure, Domi could be an effective contributor... but an effective top-6 center? Come on. It was completely absurd.

Until, of course, it happened. :whaaa?:

EDIT: I also thought the Riley Nash pickup meant we were getting a decent depth center who'd get us 20-30 points or so. That... did not work out. :(

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares' goal totals. I was bang on with his overall production not being much more than what he did with the Isles, but I wasn't convinced he'd score much more goals either. Best case I figured he'd crack the 40 goal mark. Didn't think he'd be closer to 50.

In terms of teams, I was wrong about Vegas. I didn't think they'd suck, but I wasn't sold they'd comfortably make the playoffs again.

Those probably stand out the most as the ones I was most adamant about coming in to the season.

Reactions: zar

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I predicted Laine and Matthew's to score 45-50 goals this year.

Matthew's couldn't stay helthy, and Laine couldn't get out of his slump.

Next year per 82 Games, I expect 50 goal finishes from both.

Batmike

Jun 28, 2015
Newfoundland
Who did better: Tyler Bertuzzi, Brad Tkachuk, Crosby, RGN, Islanders, and the Habs.
Who did worse: Shayne Ghostisbehere, Jonathan Drouin, Charles Hudon, Kuznetsov.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I was wrong with like 5 guys in my f***ing pool IM LOOKING AT YOU TAYLOR HALL AND LAINE

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I had Anaheim cleanly making the playoffs right behind San Jose. I had Calgary Flames in a wild card.

Yeaaahhh...

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Feel kind of vindicated for having a lot of faith in Grubauer and Lehner as good starters.

Thought Carter Hutton would have a better year. Thought Berglund and Sobotka would be great additions to the Sabres. Totally didn't think the Islanders would be this good. Thought this was the end of the good times for Dallas and Nashville. Was betting on Sabres to be good, Habs to be worse. Didn't see LA or Anaheim falling from grace so rapidly.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I thought for sure Austin Matthews was getting 9 million dollars over 8 years. I was off by 2.63 million and 3 years.

I am now expecting Marner to get 11.5 million over 8 years.
Why would you be sure that Matthews would get less than Eichel even though he out performed him throughout his career, and the cap had gone up since Eichel signed?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why would you be sure that Matthews would get less than Eichel even though he out performed him throughout his career, and the cap had gone up since Eichel signed?

Because Leaf fans had me convinced he would take a hometown discount!! :d

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don’t think that’s an “eat crow, then shove your foot in your mouth” type of failed prediction.

They finished 16th in the NHL. Their 93 points/40 ROW would have missed the playoffs in the Western Conference in 8 out of the 13 full seasons played since the 2005 lockout. (That pace translates to 54 points in 48 games, which would also miss the playoffs in the West in the lockout shortened season.)

Beyond that, you didn’t exactly know they would acquire a player like Mark Stone at the trade deadline. They had 71 points in 64 games before acquiring him. That’s a 91 point pace which would miss the playoffs in the Western Conference in 11 of the 13 full seasons since the lockout.

Before they acquired Stone, they were exactly a .500 team against non-Pacific Division teams. That’s probably what you expected them to be. The mistakes you made were in assuming that the Pacific Division wouldn’t be a complete tire fire, and assuming they wouldn’t acquire a Mark Stone level player at the trade deadline.

Should clarify - I thought they would be a bottom 5 team and nowhere near the playoffs, even with a somewhat healthy MAF.

Tho I was right about Karlsson, Marchessault and pretty much their whole team regressing :naughty:

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
The Habs and the Islanders had fantastic seasons. Didnt expect to see that.

I told some buddies last Fall that the Sens would finish dead last, and they laughed and said no they wouldn't be that bad. One of the few things I got right this year.

I thought that Draisaitl contract was looking rough for the Oilers when it was signed. That may have been one of the few good things Chirelli did for the Oilers. Congrats to Drai for a 50 goal season. If only him and McDavid had some support...

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I have to swallow my prize and admit I was wrong about Draisaitl, back when Edmonton drafted him and Sam Bennett fell to us I was elated. Bennett is a gamer though, goes 100% all the time, he's calmed down on the dumb penalties, but he is no Drai.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
AZ finishing 2nd in the Pacific.
I thought for sure, they would turn it around this season
The kind of did....not to my level though.

I will NEVER believe the bottom of the standings again.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Saw someone else mention it, but I was wrong about Stamkos as well. I've not been easy on him the last few seasons and I kind of thought he was done. To see him have this kind of resurgence this year while honestly not having a whole lot of help on his line is such a treat.

I'm absolutely delighted to be wrong on that one.

Reactions: zxc55555

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad