Confirmed with Link: Adam Lowry 5 years @ 3.25

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
FWIW, Copp seems quite happy with the Lowry signing (as are pretty much every other Jet on their Instagram accounts)
Screenshot_20210416-170506_Instagram.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah first round picks are always a little overrated but it's pretty unlikely our 1st rounder this year becomes a better player than Appleton currently is.

I don't like to admit it, but you are probably right. Chevy has done a good job of meeting my high expectations for our firsts.

What do you think of Corson Ceulemans? The way he is rated he could still be available whenever we pick. Or we could try to trade up for a Dman - if we still have our own 1st. Then there is always the possibility of a faller. That might be more likely this year than most.

Reactions: HighFlyingJets

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A good many GMs have a massive size bias look no further then who Bergevin continues to sign/draft and trade for.

I like Appelton but he had a hot start and has come back down to earth since then. He's a solid third line player but those aren't that hard to come by.

Don't hold his hot start against him. :laugh: Scoring goes in streaks. He is still getting chances so he will go on another streak.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think a swap back is more likely than a first outright, given how exposed the Jets project to be.

Symmetrical!

You were thinking $2.5m? :whatever:

This isn't Brandon Tanev here--Lowry does a lot of good stuff on the ice that are unrelated to speed and quickness. He'll be fine until he's 32, especially if the cap eventually starts going up.

I predicted 4 years, 15.5 mil.

Edit: Lowry isn't the type of player I would expect to have a long career. This contract takes him to 33. He might fall off a cliff before that. If not, great. 3.25 is not too hard to take, even if it is for 1 bad year.

I think Chevy gave him an extra year to keep the AAV down. I can live with that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the organization values Stanley far more than you do. I've said it all along they will protect Stanley over DeMelo and then try to pay Seattle to take one of the unprotected forwards.

Whether they protect Stanley or DeMelo won't make any difference if Appleton is exposed. I'm pretty sure they take Apples.

We are short of good Dmen here so we are inclined to focus more on them, but Seattle is going to have 10-15 better Dmen than DeMelo to choose from. They are not going to have all that much quality up front.

Reactions: Keystone

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Whether they protect Stanley or DeMelo won't make any difference if Appleton is exposed. I'm pretty sure they take Apples.

We are short of good Dmen here so we are inclined to focus more on them, but Seattle is going to have 10-15 better Dmen than DeMelo to choose from. They are not going to have all that much quality up front.
I'm not sure NHL organizations value Appleton as much as you do. Bottom 6 wingers are the easiest commodity to obtain in the NHL. Seattle will load up on defenseman as they can then trade them off for any parts they need to teams looking for defenseman.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't like to admit it, but you are probably right. Chevy has done a good job of meeting my high expectations for our firsts.

What do you think of Corson Ceulemans? The way he is rated he could still be available whenever we pick. Or we could try to trade up for a Dman - if we still have our own 1st. Then there is always the possibility of a faller. That might be more likely this year than most.

I really like Cuelemans, did a short write up on him in the draft thread. This draft could end up being all over the place though. I don't even know whose likely to go 1, 2, 3 or 4. Anyone's guess right now. It probably wasn't going to solidify even if everyone played full season and it's even more up in the air now. No one really has what I would consider easily identifiable superstar 1C, 1W, 1D qualities. Seems like it's going to be one of those drafts you look back on and some kid taken in the 2nd round could end up being the best in the class.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Another great deal by Chevy!
I didn't think it would be this low or this long and I would have bet it was going to be announced just after the XD but great signing...an integral part of the team and a player that other centers don't like playing against. I love his game in the post season.
He's worth more than the AAV now but who knows what he'll be like when he is 32 or 33?
He's really grown into a good player for us...probably gets the A when Wheeler leaves/retires.
If he slows down, he can move over to LW and terrorize opposing RHD for the last year or two of his deal.
Maybe he can groom Gus to take over his position and then be his LWer?
Always gives an intelligent, honest interview (as long as he's not asked about his health). Great comments about the team and organization and really well spoken.
Does this bring Copp's price down?

Reactions: DiggerD

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Good signing, when do Thompson and Lewis get their long term contracts hey Chevy!!??

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'm not sure NHL organizations value Appleton as much as you do. Bottom 6 wingers are the easiest commodity to obtain in the NHL. Seattle will load up on defenseman as they can then trade them off for any parts they need to teams looking for defenseman.

I know Vegas took a lot of defensemen...and they seemed to have held them for awhile. Were they able to convert some of them for quality forwards? I don’t remember but for some reason, I don’t think they got much out of it.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Surprise. I though Lowry would test the market as UFA and priority was to resign RFA in Copp
His interview shows his commitment to the Jets. Happy to have him back. Doesnt this screw which forward to protect for Xpansion draft ?

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The same thing was predicted during the Vegas draft and didn’t materialize. Bottom 6 forwards might not be valued but they still need to field a team and both Appleton and Harkins have top six potential on that team

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Run one of the XD simulators...the forward pool is crap but there are loads of 4-5 D like DeMelo and Stanley. DeMelo’s trade value will be hurt by his AAV in the flat cap world. Stanley will have a range of perspectives on what his potential is, Seattle might love him or view him as a guy who can’t play. A guy like Appleton would really attractive to me if I’m Seattle...depending on the UFA market and who they pull from there Appleton could be a top 6 winger for Seattle.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Aren't we picking 31st overall? ;)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Run one of the XD simulators...the forward pool is crap but there are loads of 4-5 D like DeMelo and Stanley. DeMelo’s trade value will be hurt by his AAV in the flat cap world. Stanley will have a range of perspectives on what his potential is, Seattle might love him or view him as a guy who can’t play. A guy like Appleton would really attractive to me if I’m Seattle...depending on the UFA market and who they pull from there Appleton could be a top 6 winger for Seattle.
I really hope Appleton or Harkins is of appeal to Seattle, that would most definitely be in our best interest.

Reactions: SCP Guy

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Good signing because of 2 main things.
Very good bottom 6 center solidify that 1 spot for 5 more years.
One of the (only few) real physical player we have, specially in the playoff. JETS need those

Avg is ok not bargain and not high for a 28-33 year old solid player.

I like Adam.

Go Jets Go

Reactions: Eyeseeing and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad