Confirmed with Link: Adam Lowry 5 years @ 3.25

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Just a great fit...
A player who has totally bought into the Jets and their organization (annual salary)......with the Jets making the commitment (term)
Big Adam provides size, and strength, attitude and a host of intangibles.
Integral part of the team, moving forward.

Nice job by Chevy, here....

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Appelton has 3 points in his last 10 and his play hasn't been near as good as earlier. Just saying but he is probably fairly close to average. I like the kid but if he's the worst we loose it's not a massive lose.

The 3rd line has been better this year than ever before, even when Copp has not been on it. I think Appleton has been a big part of that. Yes, he was better earlier in the season than lately. Every player goes through some ups and downs.

I think he would be missed a lot more than Stanley would - and I like the way Stanley has played.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there is some in house options, but bottom line we are a forward heavy team with several holes on defense. Losing a 3rd line winger is something the team can more easily absorb, much more than losing starting defenseman.

3rd line winger vs 3rd pair D. We have holes on D at the top, not at the bottom.

Either Harkins or Vesalainen might replace Appleton. Or not. Neither of them is a RHS to start with. We don't know how well either of them will handle that 2 way role. Not everybody can - see Jack Roslovic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually I think there is a good chance Copp ends up in Seattle and a deal is worked out for him to be unprotected and signed long term by Seattle and the Jets get a kick back draft pick.

I agree, that is a possibility.

I would prefer to see Copp used to get us a 1RHD who is at least near ready rather than a pick who might be several years away. But maybe two 1sts can be parlayed into something.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be okay with that. Just feel like Chevy will be moving that first rounder.

I think that is one of the possibilities. Right now, I see too many to be able to pick one as most likely. All we know is that with this signing, the option of signing Lowry after the XD is gone. TBH, I never thought Chevy would do that. Not his style.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure NHL organizations value Appleton as much as you do. Bottom 6 wingers are the easiest commodity to obtain in the NHL. Seattle will load up on defenseman as they can then trade them off for any parts they need to teams looking for defenseman.

True, they don't need to draft a balanced roster. They could go that way.

I don't think we want to lose either Stanley or DeMelo either, to tell the truth. Bit of a dilemma. I smell a trade, but I certainly would not pay them to take Appleton. I would give up a 2nd for them to take Harkins, who is still a decent player. Not like they would be required to take Beaulieu or Niku. They would require a 1st to take one of them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like Cuelemans, did a short write up on him in the draft thread. This draft could end up being all over the place though. I don't even know whose likely to go 1, 2, 3 or 4. Anyone's guess right now. It probably wasn't going to solidify even if everyone played full season and it's even more up in the air now. No one really has what I would consider easily identifiable superstar 1C, 1W, 1D qualities. Seems like it's going to be one of those drafts you look back on and some kid taken in the 2nd round could end up being the best in the class.

I thought a couple of those Dmen at the top of the lists were pretty strong. Power, Clarke, Hughes.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I don't know anywhere near as much about the game as most people here (why I don't post very much) and am therefore not qualified to judge this. But as a rabid Jets fan, I love his apparent commitment to the team and to the win and therefore, I love this.
As a Rabid Jets fan I approve of this post.

Reactions: DiggerD and Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I remember at the start of the season there was a narrative saying that Lowry as a 3c was impeding us as a team.

Turns out the stats were lying and this guy is good. Been solid in his role, which is hard matchups, faceoffs, big hits, top unit PK, and leadership.

Looking forward to the next 3 years of Scheif/Dubois/Lowry/Gustafsson down the middle.

Contract should age relatively well and gives Chevy some flexibility.

I don't think Copp's negotiations will be nearly as easy.

We now have the necessary forwards to protect in the XD I believe, as long as Harkins keeps playing.

The signing now opens up the chance of losing one. I'm intrigued in Chevy's plan for this off-season. How to keep all the key pieces that have been developed.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought a couple of those Dmen at the top of the lists were pretty strong. Power, Clarke, Hughes.

Yeah all of them have #1 potential for sure but none of them give me the vibe that they are really likely to hit on it. All of them have issues in their games and all, some or none might figure it out and get themselves to that level.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

warning: development of 17-18 year olds is fluid and my information might be outdated!!

One opinion I have heard by a few sharp evaluators is the top of this draft is missing the normal top 3. It’s almost like this draft is starting at a 4th overall type talent level. Not void of talent just missing the usual number 1-2 or 1-3 best players.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad