Confirmed with Link: Adam Lowry 5 years @ 3.25

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Elliotte Friedman told Sean Reynolds when he tweeted a deal was pending Elliotte got lots of other GM’s asking how accurate the tweet was (or how sure he was). He said there were wolves at the gate waiting to pounce.
There has been a lot of talk about him, in the last few months. I have some friends in the scouting, coaching and front offices of a couple NHL teams, and his name was mentioned a lot. The offers would have come, but he is very happy in Winnipeg. He likes the city, loves the fans and organization.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Elliotte Friedman told Sean Reynolds when he tweeted a deal was pending Elliotte got lots of other GM’s asking how accurate the tweet was (or how sure he was). He said there were wolves at the gate waiting to pounce.
Lowry is like the typical player that GMs over-value in UFA. So this makes sense.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Lowry is like the typical player that GMs over-value in UFA. So this makes sense.

If by overvalue you mean that every team that has success in the playoffs has one and teams that don’t flounder.

Sure, he’s not an elite offensive player but there are a reason even the most progressive GMs like Dubas are bringing in players like Foligno.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
If by overvalue you mean that every team that has success in the playoffs has one and teams that don’t flounder.

Sure, he’s not an elite offensive player but there are a reason even the most progressive GMs like Dubas are bringing in players like Foligno.
Foligno may not be the best example to go with, considering he hasn't had a season in the past 7 years where his point total was lower than the best season in Lowry's career and they're paying him significantly less than what Lowry got and they have no commitment to him and he'll be gone after the end of the year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
warning: development of 17-18 year olds is fluid and my information might be outdated!!

One opinion I have heard by a few sharp evaluators is the top of this draft is missing the normal top 3. It’s almost like this draft is starting at a 4th overall type talent level. Not void of talent just missing the usual number 1-2 or 1-3 best players.

I can see that. But it has appeared to me in the past that we see draft classes categorized as weak if they don't include 2-3 outstanding, high scoring centres. If they are wingers it is rated a little weak. If the top players are Dmen, it is just weak, regardless of how good the Dmen are unless they score at an incredible rate. It could be a very deep class with good prospects right through the 2nd rd, but if it doesn't start with a few elite scorers, the whole class get down graded. Just my observation.

The players available where we are going to draft could still be quite good for the draft position. Or not.

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Foligno may not be the best example to go with, considering he hasn't had a season in the past 7 years where his point total was lower than the best season in Lowry's career and they're paying him significantly less than what Lowry got and they have no commitment to him and he'll be gone after the end of the year.
I don't know if they're paying him significantly less... draft picks in exchange for salary is a pretty high price

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think the comparison being made is Foligno brings physicality and is tough to play against.

Lowry is, of course, outscoring Foligno this year, but neither player is relied on for offense. Leaf fans have said Foligno wasn’t brought in for offense.

Lowry is relied on for physicality and for shutting down the other teams’ best players. Foligno will be relied on to add some sandpaper for the playoffs to arguably the softest team in the league.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think the comparison being made is Foligno brings physicality and is tough to play against.

Lowry is, of course, outscoring Foligno this year, but neither player is relied on for offense. Leaf fans have said Foligno wasn’t brought in for offense.

Lowry is relied on for physicality and for shutting down the other teams’ best players. Foligno will be relied on to add some sandpaper for the playoffs to arguably the softest team in the league.
I'll take Lowry vs McDavid over Foligno vs McDavid any day of the week.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't know if they're paying him significantly less... draft picks in exchange for salary is a pretty high price
It’s a tough assertion, to be sure.

On the one hand, Foligno is clearly over-the-hill and not worth a 1st round pick in a vacuum. On the other hand, Toronto is Charmin toilet paper soft and needs grit for the playoffs or a team like MTL will get physical with them and they’ll peter off. The Leafs only have two draft picks in this draft, alarmingly so, I know, but they have to go for it this year and next before Rielly (and/or depth) bails next offseason. Toronto is really about four years out from a complete rebuild (when Matthews walks) so they have to put all their eggs in the basket now, especially the next two years.

I think one reason you see the Jets take a much more conservative approach (including only adding Jordie Benn) is because the way their contracts and cap are structured (including the Lowry signing here) they are in a much nether position to contend for a much longer time than the Leafs.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It’s a tough assertion, to be sure.

On the one hand, Foligno is clearly over-the-hill and not worth a 1st round pick in a vacuum. On the other hand, Toronto is Charmin toilet paper soft and needs grit for the playoffs or a team like MTL will get physical with them and they’ll peter off. The Leafs only have two draft picks in this draft, alarmingly so, I know, but they have to go for it this year and next before Rielly (and/or depth) bails next offseason. Toronto is really about four years out from a complete rebuild (when Matthews walks) so they have to put all their eggs in the basket now, especially the next two years.

I think one reason you see the Jets take a much more conservative approach (including only adding Jordie Benn) is because the way their contracts and cap are structured (including the Lowry signing here) they are in a much nether position to contend for a much longer time than the Leafs.
But... but... but... they have Wayne Simmonds.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I don't know anywhere near as much about the game as most people here (why I don't post very much) and am therefore not qualified to judge this. But as a rabid Jets fan, I love his apparent commitment to the team and to the win and therefore, I love this.

Don't let that stop you! Most of us know piss all yet bloviate and bicker as long as our keyboards still click and our touchscreens still autocorrect!

I often espousing dumb hockey opinions but I can only imagine a world where I'm a quarter as renowned as the famous hockeyprofessor!

A lot of the insider talk immediately after the Dubois trade was about how other teams thought the Jets suddenly had top centre depth in the league and I thought it a little odd at the time that Lowry was always mentioned before Stastny.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I can see that. But it has appeared to me in the past that we see draft classes categorized as weak if they don't include 2-3 outstanding, high scoring centres. If they are wingers it is rated a little weak. If the top players are Dmen, it is just weak, regardless of how good the Dmen are unless they score at an incredible rate. It could be a very deep class with good prospects right through the 2nd rd, but if it doesn't start with a few elite scorers, the whole class get down graded. Just my observation.

The players available where we are going to draft could still be quite good for the draft position. Or not.

100% despite what I have heard we wouldn’t be drafting in the top anyways. In top of that this much flux might create a unique opportunity for an under scouted asset. That is how Kopitar fell to the Kings in a strike shortened year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The only geezer Toronto brought in that has been effective has been Spezza. Bogo, Simmonds (who isn’t even that old), and Jumbo have been awful. Read the Leafs boards, they hate them.
INTANGIBLES!!!

B2qlx6G.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who else would you be willing to but into the package?

Everyone not already a part of our core.

Copp + Perfetti + 1st + Stanley or Samberg + Harkins or Vesalainen + whatever other futures it takes for the right guy. The package varies according to who is on the other end.

The only players off our current roster would be Copp, who I am assuming we will lose in another year anyway and maybe Stanley, if he is a part of it.

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They paid a 1st and 4th round pick for Foligno, so he's not exactly "inexpensive".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad