Johnsson, Zaitsev, Brown & 2nd

____ - McDavid - Brown
Johnsson - Draisaitl - ____

Rielly - Larsson

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I figured he got sent down to play and try and find his game during the break. I am shocked with the fall of spooner. I thought Boston overpaid for Nash because he was included in that deal. I hope he rebounds

In all seriousness the guy has talent. Lots of it, really. Some shifts he looked great and then he'd just disappear. Hitch said it best when he stated Spooner has to decide if he is going to be a regular NHLer or not. It's really up to him. He can totally be an effective NHL center. Will he put it all together? Man I don't know. Right now he is a negative asset.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Correction: He could be moved but not for lesser pieces. It would have to be worth Edmonton's while.

In fairness, the Leafs overpayed for Kessel (seguin/hamilton jesus...) but then traded him off for what seemed like scraps, except the first turned into our goalie and Kapanen is exceeding initial expectations.

Could work out the same with Larsson, but the best thing to do is probably keep him. Guys like him are hard to aquire.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I doubt there is a trade for Larsson that will improve the Oilers, so it makes no sense to trade him at all. What he was traded for 3 years ago by a a former GM is irrelevant as well, a new GM couldn't care less about that. The Oilers should keep him because he is still at a good age, with a good contract, and a good d-man that the team needs. Most of their core are still fairly young, makes no sense to deal any of them.

Of course if there is a really good deal out there that could improve the team that is a different story, but not just replace one good player with a similarly good player. The Oilers also do not have enough quality depth to trade core d-men for forwards, or core forwards for d-men. Unless they can find ways to improve their cap situation or trade prospects or picks for difference makers they can add to their current core, I really see no major moves at the moment that make any sense.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I'd give up Johnsson + Liljegren + 2019 2nd (1st if Leafs make ECF). Doubt that moves the needle very much for EDM, but that's a decent package.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Could be a guy that needs a fresh start.

What's the value to get him out of EDM?

That would be a hard trade to make happen. Oilers I think it’s fair to say clearly overpaid for him. They will never get that value back, so it would be another embarrassing trade they lose on if they traded him now for his actual value. Plus the Oilers are in no position to trade away D.....unless it was struggling guy for a similar struggling D guy......but those are rare deals. Honestly I don’t see the Oilers trading him.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That's not how this works Edmonton will get what the market says they get, just because Edmonton is run by idiots, doesn't mean other teams are run by idiots

We have no reason to move him though so no we will keep him. He’s a top 4 defenceman and our best RD. Why would we just take what we can get?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
EDM probably values him higher than his actual worth. Have you seen their D? Larsson is probably their only top 4RHD

You think Klefbom and Nurse are bottom pairing defenceman? Come on man. I know people love crapping on the Oilers but this is a ridiculous thing to say

Ah right side, my mistake. Yes, you’d be correct as a RD

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We have no reason to move him though so no we will keep him. He’s a top 4 defenceman and our best RD. Why would we just take what we can get?

I think you missed the point, that being that just because Edmonton overpaid doesn't mean other teams have to do the same, as for why take what you can get? It's what you do

See Eberle and Hall trades for examples

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think you missed the point, that being that just because Edmonton overpaid doesn't mean other teams have to do the same, as for why take what you can get? It's what you do

See Eberle and Hall trades for examples

Chiarelli was a terrible GM. I agree that what we paid for Larsson doesn’t directly impact what his current value is. That said even at fair market he’s likely not available due to our lack of any decent RD behind him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad