Value of: Adam Larsson

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Some people are calling Adam Larsson a #1 D now? Wow......:shakehead

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Not nearly as bad as people who call him a #4D ...

Yes it is.

1D, ppl think of Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Victor Hedman, etc.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Alex Edler & Chris Tanev missed 43 games combined.
Dan Hamhuis missed 24 games.

Matt Bartkowski played 80 games, Alex Biega played 50 games, and Yannick Weber played 45 games when they all should've been depth d-men at best nowhere near that many games played.

It's also fair to say that opposing teams could focus on offense due to the lack of secondary scoring past the Sedin line; so there's that too. Too much of a burden on an already depleted blue line.
Well Hutton played 75 games and he's equal to Larsson :sarcasm: Tanev who's a top pairing Dman only missed 13 games
Even the Oilers weren't as bad as the Canucks D last season with Klefbom(our #1) missing 52 games, and using 13 other defenseman who aside from Sekera had no business in the top 4(most not even in the NHL)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yes it is.

1D, ppl think of Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Shea Weber, Aaron Ekblad, Victor Hedman, etc.
He would be called a bottom end number 1. Idk why people class d differently than forwards. A first line forward is a top 90 forward. So a number 1 d should be a top 30 d in the league

The guys you mention would fall into the elite or franchise category if defensmen were ranked normally

Instead franchise and elite are #1s . #2s are the rest of the top 30 and then everyone else is second pairing or worse

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He would be called a bottom end number 1. Idk why people class d differently than forwards. A first line forward is a top 90 forward. So a number 1 d should be a top 30 d in the league

The guys you mention would fall into the elite or franchise category if defensmen were ranked normally

Instead franchise and elite are #1s . #2s are the rest of the top 30 and then everyone else is second pairing or worse
He's a bottom end #2

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Come on now.
And before you ask, yes I know who Hutton is.

Canada Hockey thought enough of Ben Hutton to put him on the IIHF World Championship roster: you would think they'd have a decent roster considering half the league's players are Canadian.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Who called him a #1D? Why don't you quote the person?

Ask and ye shall receive.

These defensemen would have been available if their GM wanted Hall. The difference being is would you trade Hall for any of the bolded? Lindholm maybe but the Ducks cant afford another high priced winger.

Larsson is one of the few young #1s that was willing to be moved for Hall. We werent going to move him for some guy in this late 20s or worse. If we want one of those we can sign a 28 year old UFA forward ..............oh wait.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He's a bottom end #2
Is he ? Depends on what you want I guess but sure. I would probably put him near the top of the #2s to be honest. Name the guys you think are the top 30 dmen and see how weak the list gets by the end.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
No one wants that melted butter dman near their 1st pairing. He's Brian Campbell soft

:laugh:

He doesn't have to be tough. He has a great stick, positioning, shot blocking, and is an advanced stats sweet heart. Sounds like you have a bone to pick, have Canucks fans really gotten to you that badly?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Canada Hockey thought enough of Ben Hutton to put him on the IIHF World Championship roster: you would think they'd have a decent roster considering half the league's players are Canadian.

Like I said I know who he is. He also, if I remember correctly didn't touch the ice after Ellis made the team.
And its the Wolrd Championships, not the olympics. Justin Schultz and Ben Scrivens both played, it isn't as big of an accomplishment as you make it out to be. Especially considering he was the #7D.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Is he ? Depends on what you want I guess but sure. I would probably put him near the top of the #2s to be honest. Name the guys you think are the top 30 dmen and see how weak the list gets by the end.
Lindholm, OEL, Ristolainen, Brodie, Giordano, Faulk, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Johnson, Klingberg, Ekblad, Doughty, Suter, Weber, Markov, Subban, Josi, Hamonic, Leddy, McDonagh, Karlsson, Gostisbehere, Letang, Burns, Vlasic, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Rielly, Hedman, Stralman, Carlson, Byfuglien

There's 32 that I as an Oilers fan think are more valuable/better than Larsson. Now the **** show begins with everyone else that wants their top 4 included :laugh:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No Oiler fans are calling him a #1 D, and if they are than they are in the very small minority. Most think he is currently somewhere between a #2-3 Dman with upside to be a #1.
Most NJD fans think higher of him than that analysis even.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Like I said I know who he is. He also, if I remember correctly didn't touch the ice after Ellis made the team.
And its the Wolrd Championships, not the olympics. Justin Schultz and Ben Scrivens both played, it isn't as big of an accomplishment as you make it out to be. Especially considering he was the #7D.

Shultz & Scrivens both had potential at one point, until their development was ruined by not being brought along properly, so I could see how they made the team when they did.

But like I said, imo Adam Larsson & Ben Hutton have similar value: there's a mystique in a player being pick as highly as Larsson was, but skill-wise, I don't think there's a huge difference. Ben Hutton's a #3 w/ #2 potential; a lot of hockey minds feel that Larsson has that same upside.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Who's better vlasic or burns? And then let's have a sharks fan answer.

Uhh uhh

Honestly they are polar opposites on the ice.

If you made them the same age I'd build around burns though. That kind of offensive talent isn't coachable.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
A #1 D-man, should be by definitio one of the the top 30 d-men in the league, not your opinion of elite bonafide Norris candidates

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I probably would have traded Toffoli for Larsson, and Toffoli is the most valuable piece on the Kings roster (outside of Doughty, who is as untouchable as McDavid). The Kings need a #2 defender to take the pressure off of Doughty, and the Kings are built to win with a stellar defense, which they currently do not have.

Toffoli > Kopitar, Quick, Carter? I haven't watched a lot of Kings' hockey lately but, REALLY??

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Shultz & Scrivens both had potential at one point, until their development was ruined by not being brought along properly, so I could see how they made the team when they did.

But like I said, imo Adam Larsson & Ben Hutton have similar value: there's a mystique in a player being pick as highly as Larsson was, but skill-wise, I don't think there's a huge difference. Ben Hutton's a #3 w/ #2 potential; a lot of hockey minds feel that Larsson has that same upside.

Keep dreaming

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
ANA - Lindholm
ARI - OEL
BUF - Ristolainen
CAL - Brodie, Giordano,
CAR - Faulk
CHI - Keith, Hjalmarsson,
COL - Johnson,
DAL - Klingberg
FLA - Ekblad
LA - Doughty
MIN - Suter
MON - Weber,
NAS - Subban, Josi
NYI -Hamonic
NYR - McDonagh
OTT - Karlsson
PHI - Gostisbehere
PIT - Letang
SJ - Burns, Vlasic
STL - Pietrangelo,
TB - Hedman, Stralman
WAS - Carlson
WIN - Byfuglien

How many of these defenseman were available for Hall straight up?

Younger (under 28) and on a decent contract, the same parameters as Larsson, the only guy I think the Oilers could have or should have got for Hall in 2016 is Hamonic. If that was offered and Snow turned it down then he's stupid. Ghost I want to see more from first before saying I would trade Hall for him.

I think Hall was getting bounced out by July 1st to make room for Lucic and everyone in the league kinda knew it. Whether thats the right move or not, Chiarelli is tying his whole legacy to this trade.

The Oilers were probably selling Hall as the main piece in a trade for Subban at the draft and the Habs were having none of it. I wonder how many other GMs in the league also would have swapped Larsson fo Hall? I dont think it would be every single one.

Wingers just arent as valuable as D or C. They just arent. Every team thinks they can just throw any wingers with a good C and have success. Fans who hate the deal in Edmonton a bit too much and love it a bit too much in NJ are also falling victim to the Oilers hype train. They hype their dudes into the stratosphere. Chia probably wouldnt trade Larsson for half of the guys on that list now that hes an Oiler.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2