Value of: Adam Larsson

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I get that you don't understand how to use that chart. You can ignore utilization and QOC if you want but most people understand that Klefbom wasn't a better player than Greene two years ago, or last year for that matter. Your chart only tells part of the story, and trying to draw the conclusion you are isn't possible with it. Feel free to continue to try but you don't actually have a valid argument.

I'm an Oiler fan and I agree with this. The suggestion that Larsson will be better suited with Klefbom, and a team that hasn't adhered to system play in as long as I can remember is laughable.

Theres absolutely no way to substantiate that Klefbom>Greene. With Greene being a Vet and his NHL game being well established. Klef hasn't even scratched the surface.

enjoy Hall.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Klefbom didn't play against 'lesser' opponents. He played Top line minutes when the Oilers defence fell like flies with injuries. He played tough minutes against opponents at the end of 2014-2015 and did exceptional. If your not convinced, then just say so, but don't make up fictional stuff that he played against 'lesser' opponents. :shakehead

He barely played at all. 30 games.

You seriously think a D that hasn't played since 2015 and hasn't played many games in the NHL is going to be ready to be a top pairing D with Larsson? For the system inept Oilers?

That's dreaming in technicolor

The Oilers desperation is only matched by some of these comments.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Your the one not getting it. If Larsson did good with Greene, then Klefbom will help him even more. That's my point. Obviously you are thinking I'm stupid and I don't know what I am talking about but CLEARLY I do. I know EXACTLY what I am saying and I'll say it one last time. Charts don't lie. Numbers don't lie. Greene is a fine defender and I get that, but to say Larsson only succeeded because of Greene is absurd.

Do you get it now? :shakehead

"Numbers don't lie" - that's great when looking at a chart that just tells part of a story.

Klefbom is off to a great start in his career and I believe he will be better than Andy Greene, but I'd be a bit surprised if he was there yet. I haven't watched him play enough to really know. I do know that I've seen a lot of really good defensemen come through NJ's system, and most have some growing pains along the way when they're 20, 21, 22 - maybe Klembom is immune to this, but I doubt it.

I do see a lot of the little things that Andy Greene does to be successful in this league and there's a reason why Fayne, Severson and Larsson all had significantly more success once they were paired with Greene.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If you go to HFOil and look at the Larsson thread and some of the other ones on HFOil, many Oiler fans have gave glowing reviews of Larsson. Variety of opinions exist. A few people went back and watched numerous hours of game tape and spoke glowingly of Larsson.

What stood out was his solid defensive positioning, and his first pass. This theme seems repeated, Larsson has an excellent first pass exiting the zone.

The Oilers have been lacking Dmen who could execute basic breakouts and get the puck up ice to our forwards in transition for years.

If Larsson is able to make that quick first pass to players like McDavid, RNH, Drai, etc. in stride he'll make our forwards better. His defensive responsibilities first approach will let Klefbom take risks and not overthink the game.

Larsson adds so much to our team. We've needed a Dman like him forever. He doesn't need to be an offensive catalyst #1. He'll be an excellent 1st pairing #2. We're a better team with Larsson.

This is the biggest thing for me is that I think Klefbom is going to benefit immensely from this acquisition. I'm not going to get involved in this stupid Greene/Klefbom argument, but I think Klefbom has the offensive potential to really break out with a partner like Larsson. He looked like he was on the verge of doing it last season playing with the defensively inept rover Schultz that he constantly had to cover for. For that reason I'd be completely fine with Larsson being an elite shutdown defender with a good outlet pass when he's finished developing because of the benefit that I think it will give to Klefbom to grow his offensive game.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Hrmm....

Rumors say that NYR wouldn't part with Hamonic, even for Hall... and that Shattenkirk wouldn't resign in Edmonton.

As for the bolded... valid point, but:
1) Jones garnered Johanssen, not as proven as Hall offensively, but a 70 point guy... and a center with a two-way reputation.
2) Kulikov and Hamilton... not sure these guys were as trusted by their coaches as Larsson and certainly didn't have contracts as valuable as Larsson. But yeah, those optics aren't great to fans who are swayed by the counting numbers.

What do you mean when you say "swayed by the counting numbers"?

Seeing the Hall deal makes me wonder what McDavid is worth. Ekblad maybe, if the Oilers are lucky?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad