Player Discussion Adam Larsson: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He should like the Oilers then. They're the 5th best 5 on 5 Corsi team in the league.

Unless they are #1, they would have been better with Hall.

Sorry, but that's just how this little game works with these people :naughty:

Hell, even if we were #1, we would be even more ahead as #1 if we had Hall.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This is to no one in particular. You know, just because you disagree with someone doesn't make him a hack or an idiot. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and some turn out to be wrong. Even mine sometimes. That the Hall trade was lousy is a legit opinion. I disagree with it but it's legit and reasonable. If everyone that I ever disagreed with was a moron then I'd be the only smart person left in the world. /end rant

You are missing the point, if they would actually be reasoning then fine. I have had many lenghty discussions about the Larsson/Hall trade in here without calling the opponent moron/hater or whatever. The problem is the tone they use "worst in modern era, fireable offense" "Haha He's serious" etc etc... If I argue with someone and they start to use extreme hyperbole and/or try to ridicule me I will call them out on it. Then they are not serious and I would be justified calling them morons since that is basically in line with the tone they set for the discussion.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Unless they are #1, they would have been better with Hall.

Sorry, but that's just how this little game works with these people :naughty:

Hell, even if we were #1, we would be even more ahead as #1 if we had Hall.
Unfortunately this will always be the case for some. If we win the SC some will say we would have won it quicker or easier with Hall.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Travis Yost is pretty anti Oiler. Only tweets negative things about them. He's a fun follow just for the laughs.

He's another guy that thinks just corsi stats provide absolute truth on any question there is about hockey.

Pretty solid reputation for being "inaccurate" in his assessments as well.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Really makes you wonder how some of these people get a job...

Corsi stats have provided a lot of people to come out of nowhere and appear as "experts" on hockey. If you can kinda comprehend the stats and make use of the online resources and you are reasonably good at writing, you have a shot now to be a hockey "expert". Might need some connections too of course.

I know everyone crapped on Berkshire's article comparing Matthews to McDavid with his chart including loose puck recoveries and stuff, but I do hope over time the conversation turns towards more interesting and proprietary statistics and analytics that far less people have access to, like that stuff Berkshire is able to get.

I think the conversation about analytics needs to get way beyond just corsi %'s. It already is to a large degree, but there are still too many people fighting to the death claiming that just because it's the largest sample size it's superior to anything else out there for evaluating players. The more specific data we get, and the more they are actually able to show something that corsi stats weren't, the more it muddies the water and the more people realise all the answers are simply not there to come to final conclusions. And IMO, that makes the conversation about analytics far more interesting, when you can push aside people who think they have the final answer based on the simplest data.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Adam Larsson

Flames fan coming in peace. I actually truly want to see a Battle of Alberta in the playoffs, so I want to ask you what are your opinions on Larsson thus far? Is he working out for you guys? How has he been lately, relative to overall season?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
& he's been very good just like I knew he would.

The only way another team gets him from us is to pry him from our cold, dead hands.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Flames fan coming in peace. I actually truly want to see a Battle of Alberta in the playoffs, so I want to ask you what are your opinions on Larsson thus far? Is he working out for you guys? How has he been lately, relative to overall season?

I don't think that's even possible.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Awesome.

Our second best defender by a very wide margin and I believe is a big reason why Sekera, our best defender, has looked so much better this year compared to last.

Great shutdown defender. Would make any team significantly better.

We lost the trade in "value" but won the trade by getting the player that positively effects winning
games more.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Awesome.

Our second best defender by a very wide margin and I believe is a big reason why Sekera, our best defender, has looked so much better this year compared to last.

Great shutdown defender. Would make any team significantly better.

We lost the trade in "value" but won the trade by getting the player that positively effects winning
games more.

Synergy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah he's awesome, and we beat you guys without him last game we played. You won't be so lucky this time. He is a defensive stud, sure, but he also puts bruises on people.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Flames fan coming in peace. I actually truly want to see a Battle of Alberta in the playoffs, so I want to ask you what are your opinions on Larsson thus far?

He's been fairly good, the Oilers third best D right behind Russell. Not as mistake free as I expected, but getting better in that regard. Puck moving and offence seem to be picking up too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Larsson now tied with the likes of OEL, Josi, Markov and Klefbom at 44th place for ES points by D. Subject to other stats updates by the end of the night of course ;)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson now tied with the likes of OEL, Josi, Markov and Klefbom at 44th place for ES points by D. Subject to other stats updates by the end of the night of course ;)

... and ahead of Weber, Subban, Ekblad, Hamonic, Werenski, Ristolainen and Boychuck.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Not sure whether it was his best game of the season, or just seemed that way because it was against the Flames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad