Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

I think you really underestimate his puck moving potential. I peg him more as:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4085

Opps, copied the wrong one .... left it there for a laugh, that is what happens when you have too many windows open. This one should work.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5923

He'll always be the Bobby Orr of Skellefteå, Sweden. Just like I'll always be the the Tom Cruise of Callingwood, West, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Realistically he can be an elite shutdown defenseman--Chris Phillips is the best comparison probably.
I don't think he's offensive upside is all that great at this point. It's not likely it will develop miraculously from now on. Klefbom will probably always be a better offensive player, but less reliable defensively.

After watching him this many games I am more disappointed in his offense than I thought I would be. His shot and puck handling skills need some serious work before I would consider them dangerous.

His usage is zero PP and few real offensive opportunities. His partner often seems given the green light to jump into the play where he does not.

If Edmonton actually follows through and starts using him in an offensive capacity I believe he "could" get as many as 40 points in a career year. Probably on average moving forward tho he is 25 point per year guy.

Great player tho. Gritty, tough, solid gap control, solid first pass. A true top pairing level shutdown defender. Think he is a solid #2 (or at worst #3) with still room to grow. New Jersey is really missing him and we are obviously much much much better with him.

I like that comparable. Here's another one that screams at me:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1735

I like this one. I don't think we can be disappointed if he is the next Foote. I still think we lost the trade, but do like Larsson and what he brings so far.

I still think he has offensive potential. Lots of D develope their offensive game in their later 20's.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
maj01.jpg

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
The biggest limit to his offence right now is his usage and how conservative he has been playing. He hardly ever touches the puck in the O zone, but when he does, he's not clueless, his skills are really not that bad. He's not super creative or dynamic but he isn't a blackhole back there like all of our D have been for the past few years. Seems to be slowly making more passes in transition as time goes on.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
He's had more points in the last 10 games than he had in the first 30 combined.

I think.

A couple of HF Devils fans literally said look for the offence more in the 2nd half of the year because it always takes him a while to settle in. Plus guys like Sekera and Nurse look way better in year 2 under McLellan, I wouldn't be shocked if he was better next season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
was rock solid again tonight

Yup, played pretty much flawless hockey except for the one play where he went after the same guy behind the net that Drai had. He shuts down controlled zone entries so well and just really defends the rush well. He's a good shutdown #2 who moves the puck fairly well. I think he has more room to improve on his offence, but even if he doesn't he still creates a ton of offence for us by getting the puck moving the other way and breaking up defensive zone time. His added nasty physical edge is just the cherry on top. Love this player.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I love Larsson. I like this team a lot right now. Love having a competent defense for once in our lives.

Yup.. lineup looks perfect right now. Puljujarvi and Nurse can spend rest of the season in the AHL if the team thatplayed tonight stays healthy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's had more points in the last 10 games than he had in the first 30 combined.

I think.

Tied for 78th in EVP's for D. Keep climbing that ladder Larsson ;)

I don't know if it's just more practice time or what, but he has been much quicker moving the puck lately. And is jumping up more. It's nice to see. I think Russell is the same too, he has been far more crisp with his plays. I'm sure coaching and getting forwards in sync plays a part in this. And honestly, the more I see the play he likes, where he sucks the fore-checker to him and puts a perfect pass over to Klef, who gets to see the open ice with the fore-checker taken away, the more I appreciate it. It really does work :)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Larsson made a lot of great plays tonight but he did make a few glaring errors that almost cost the team, the cross ice pass that got picked off and led to a prime scoring chance and leaving his man alone in front of the net in the last few minutes. Otherwise, he was great and has been great for a while now. He's starting to show some offensive confidence as well. He has looked a lot quicker the last couple of weeks probably due to comfort level rising with his new team.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Yup.. lineup looks perfect right now. Puljujarvi and Nurse can spend rest of the season in the AHL if the team thatplayed tonight stays healthy

People are already forgetting how great Nurse looked this year.

What does he have to do to earn people's respect around here? He's better than both Benning and Davidson for sure.

space321

May 11, 2011
As someone who has criticised the trade this whole time, I gotta give him credit, he finally looks to get a bit of offense going. That pass up to Eberle was very good and it's something I haven't seen from him since game #1. Hope he keeps this up.

What does he have to do to earn people's respect around here? He's better than both Benning and Davidson for sure.

He is not better than Davidson at the moment. Benning? Debatable....but given that Benning brings an element to our bottom-pair that we desperately need more of (puck movement and offensive awareness) it's best that Nurse be off the roster.

Larsson and Russell bring enough grit to the Oilers defense. We need guys who can exit the zone cleanly after opposing teams forwards' are rubbed out along the corners or have their shots blocked.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He is not better than Davidson at the moment. Benning? Debatable....but given that Benning brings an element to our bottom-pair that we desperately need more of (puck movement and offensive awareness) it's best that Nurse be off the roster.

Larsson and Russell bring enough grit to the Oilers defense. We need guys who can exit the zone cleanly after opposing teams forwards' are rubbed out along the corners or have their shots blocked.

If I recall correctly, Nurse was #1 amongst our D for that (controlled zone exit %). The eye test supports it, his offseason work with Adam Oates paid dividends. A few more off seasons working on his puck handling and play making ability will work wonders. His ability to make multiple reads or skate the puck out of the zone, gain the red line, and dump it in was vastly improved.

As well, and this is often forgotten about. Nurse was on our #1 PK unit when we were a top 5 PK team in the NHL.

Add in his size, toughness, elite skating, and general disposition. Nurse arguably has the highest ceiling of any of our D men.

Ask yourself, do you want Nurse on the Oilers once he's a grown man and hits his peak from around 25-35ish? I do. Yes please.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I think Nurse is the best of the three, but it's great that the team can afford to send him to the AHL on a conditioning stint instead of having to rush him back from injury.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Let's say the trade never happened and Hall was still here (which also means that Lucic never signed), where would Edmonton be right now?

Less points, how many?

More points, how many?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Let's say the trade never happened and Hall was still here (which also means that Lucic never signed), where would Edmonton be right now?

Less points, how many?

More points, how many?

Without Larsson, Russell is our 1RHD (converted LHD) followed by Benning and then Gryba.

That's awful...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Nope, if Pulju comes in with confidence then he replaces Slepyshev and adds to our PP.

If Nurse is healthy then Davidson gets dealt or sits.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lucic-Caggiula-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
You're assuming no other deals were made, if we didn't do hall for Larsson at the very minimum we signed demers.

All we can do is look at what we actually have, not speculate on possible deals.

Demers added to the equation doesn't improve it much IMO.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Without Larsson, Russell is our 1RHD (converted LHD) followed by Benning and then Gryba.

That's awful...

Its an interesting conversation if we signed Demers though.

Hall+Demers vs Lucic+Larsson. Hard to say where we would be.

But LOVE Larsson. Had another beast game last night.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Larson is much more the type of defenseman that this team needed than Demers. He is flat out and eraser. When he engages physically he most often completely eliminates the opposition players ability to proceed. His presence has also allowed Sekera to flourish in a role that Chia had intended for him at the time of the signing. Anchoring his own pair but more of a second pairing in terms of the type of opposition he is facing.

For me Demers would have been more of the same. He would not be capable of taking on the role that Larson plays. This would have meant a continuation of the old way of having players try and do things that they are not suited to do.

In the end none of us knows for sure how any other action would have turned out. But what we do know is that things are actually working. Moreover, Larsson's contract sees him being paid like a veteran #3 today and possibly even a #3/4 tweener a few years from now. So you have the cap space to go out and add a guy like Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino