Player Discussion Adam Larsson: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
^ This.

We saw how the Oilers missed Larsson in the Calgary game on the weekend. The defence held up, but Lars is a key lynchpin that makes the difference between a good defence and a great one.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Larson is much more the type of defenseman that this team needed than Demers. He is flat out and eraser. When he engages physically he most often completely eliminates the opposition players ability to proceed. His presence has also allowed Sekera to flourish in a role that Chia had intended for him at the time of the signing. Anchoring his own pair but more of a second pairing in terms of the type of opposition he is facing.

For me Demers would have been more of the same. He would not be capable of taking on the role that Larson plays. This would have meant a continuation of the old way of having players try and do things that they are not suited to do.

In the end none of us knows for sure how any other action would have turned out. But what we do know is that things are actually working. Moreover, Larsson's contract sees him being paid like a veteran #3 today and possibly even a #3/4 tweener a few years from now. So you have the cap space to go out and add a guy like Green.

Thing with Larsson that some people need to consider as well, is that this is his first year on the team. It generally takes time for players to feel comfortable with their new teams.

In the offseason and last year people were putting Sekera in trade proposals and hoping he would waive his NMC for expansion lists. This year Sekera has been the Oilers best defensiveman. Its pretty likely next year Larsson will even look better (also considering hes still young) and will be the Oilers best defenseman.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
An added benefit of Larsson has been that Benning has been brought into the NHL in a perfect spot and developed very well. Cant say the trade was Hall for Larsson + Benning but its tough to thinl how Benning would have turned out if he forced into tougher minutes

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
An added benefit of Larsson has been that Benning has been brought into the NHL in a perfect spot and developed very well. Cant say the trade was Hall for Larsson + Benning but its tough to thinl how Benning would have turned out if he forced into tougher minutes

This. The value of Larsson isn't just what he brings on the ice, but that he and Sekera (Chia's 2 big additions back there) will allow our young guys for the next 5+ years to come in the right away and not be ruined. I think it's already paying off for Nurse (pre-injury).

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
This. The value of Larsson isn't just what he brings on the ice, but that he and Sekera (Chia's 2 big additions back there) will allow our young guys for the next 5+ years to come in the right away and not be ruined. I think it's already paying off for Nurse (pre-injury).

It absolutely is paying off for nurse, looks like a completely different player when he's being sheltered rather than being on the first pairing

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Yea. Imagine if we had good defensive depth when Schultz was here. He'd be contributing the way he's contributing on the Penguins now, IMO

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
^ This.

We saw how the Oilers missed Larsson in the Calgary game on the weekend. The defence held up, but Lars is a key lynchpin that makes the difference between a good defence and a great one.

the D corp is like the O-line in football. you can't have a weak link. you need at least 4 quality Dmen, and preferably 6

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I can't believe this tweet is still pinned by this bozo. Swallow your pride you hack.

Decent blogger but must have had the biggest blindest love on for Hall. Weird how he has been hit over the head with the obvious fact that the trade was win win.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
People are already forgetting how great Nurse looked this year.

What does he have to do to earn people's respect around here? He's better than both Benning and Davidson for sure.

He's not better than Benning. Benning has some amazing stats going right now against top line opposition, is more physical and adds more offense.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This is to no one in particular. You know, just because you disagree with someone doesn't make him a hack or an idiot. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and some turn out to be wrong. Even mine sometimes. That the Hall trade was lousy is a legit opinion. I disagree with it but it's legit and reasonable. If everyone that I ever disagreed with was a moron then I'd be the only smart person left in the world. /end rant

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
this analytics "expert" chimed in with this gem

I'd love to get his thoughts on the trade now

I was so mad when the trade went down. I thought Larsson was a soft, stay at home defenceman but he's much more similar to Scott Stevens then your prototypical Swedish defenceman. Just look at Jerseys defence now and Scneiders numbers and tell me that Larsson's 23 minutes a game aren't being missed by the Devils.

Take out Larsson and our right side is a combination of Russel, Davidson, Benning and Gryba. While on the left side, Maroon and Lucic are covering what Hall and Pouliot produced last year.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

I can't believe this tweet is still pinned by this bozo. Swallow your pride you hack.

this analytics "expert" chimed in with this gem

I'd love to get his thoughts on the trade now

Gotta love how these types preach the long term view of guys like Hall because MUH SHOT VOLUME but can't take a step back and look at the long term view of a GM.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Lucic - Caggiula - Slepyshev
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Davidson - Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

Injured/scratched
Pitlick
Pakarinen
Nurse
Ference
Benning

Buried
Fayne
Lander

Bought out
Korpikoski

Lowe = Red
Tambellini = Blue
MacTavish = Orange
Chiarelli = Bold

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I was so mad when the trade went down. I thought Larsson was a soft, stay at home defenceman but he's much more similar to Scott Stevens then your prototypical Swedish defenceman. Just look at Jerseys defence now and Scneiders numbers and tell me that Larsson's 23 minutes a game aren't being missed by the Devils.

Take out Larsson and our right side is a combination of Russel, Davidson, Benning and Gryba. While on the left side, Maroon and Lucic are covering what Hall and Pouliot produced last year.

I'd have taken either of those. Your prototypical Swedish defenceman is Hedman lol. Anyway, I otherwise agree, I expected a Fayne-esque player. Not what we got. We got ourselves an amazing defenceman. Good trade by Chia (although it wasn't bad by Shero either). Helps us now and into the future. Doesn't really help NJ now (mostly because they failed to get a Larsson replacement) but will help them in the future as well.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Travis Yost is pretty anti Oiler. Only tweets negative things about them. He's a fun follow just for the laughs.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Travis Yost is pretty anti Oiler. Only tweets negative things about them. He's a fun follow just for the laughs.

He's another guy that thinks just corsi stats provide absolute truth on any question there is about hockey.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Hard to say exactly where we'd be without him. But the way I see it, there are THREE major reasons for our success this year, and all three are critically important. This team can't continue the success it's having without all three (or course there are others, like good goaltending, but that goes without saying). To me, these three things are:

1. McDavid. Him being healthy, playing, and just being his beastly self with each game that goes by;

2. Draistaitl, and the rest of the secondary scoring. But Draisaitl is the key to it -- and right now he's even a key part of perhaps the most lethal line in hockey: Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl. Drai easily had the 2nd most value among all our forwards before the trade (Hall included) and it was good to see Chia properly value him. He needs to stay here. Forever. Seriously. As for the rest of our secondary scoring, it looks like Nuge and Ebs are about to break out. Nuge has 4 points in his last 5 games, and Ebs has just looked really good in general the last 4-5 games. If they can keep it up, and we get some occasional goals from the other lines, then look out; we're going ot be very hard to stop. Then the last of the three points, but certainly not least...

3. Quality and depth on defense. It's not just having a quality defender or two. It's not just having a bunch of "NHL" Dmen who are actually 5-7 guys trying to be passed off as 'NHL quality depth defensemen' like what's happened in the past by certain GMs, when in fact it was more like 'AHL quality' at best. It's about having a true handful of QUALITY Dmen who can play top 4 minutes -- important minutes -- and be able to close out games. This is CRUCIAL, and something we hugely lacked for many years. It's not just Larsson -- and I'll get to him in a minute, but it's Klefbom, who's STILL getting better in his young career of the equivalent of which is less than 2 complete seasons (154 games), yet think of how good he already is most nights, ESPECIALLY (but not only) last night, and tell me he's not a keeper; it's Sekera, who's back to his rock-solid self, providing solid defensive minutes when needed to shut down top opposition and also contributing to timely goals on the PP; it's Russell who's fearlessness in shot blocking is unequaled, yet he also has surprisingly good skills for handling the puck, and skating it out into the neutral zone, and out of being pressured in the D-zone; it's Davidson, who continues his solid play in his complete, well-rounded game, with no weaknesses and continues to get better -- man, it would really suck to lose him to the ED after waiting this long to finally have a couple of our picks actually turn out and develop -- but whatever happens regarding that, he's been one of the reasons for our success; it's Nurse who took a huge step this season, and was really just starting to find his rhythm and contribute at the level he can before he got injured; it's Benning, who has been a bit of a revelation, seemingly coming out of nowhere (well, technically from college) and being able to step into the NHL right away and not look out of place, and he continues and will continue to get better. And finally, it's our rock: Our big man who stabilizes our top-pairing along-side Klefbom like no other partner we've played with Klef has been able to do. He was the exact partner and type of player Klefbom needed: able to log huge minutes with a defense-first mentality, and a knack for getting his nose dirty and throwing some hits, clearing the net, and winning puck battles along the boards with tremendous aplomb! He does so many little clever things every game; you need Dmen like him to win. Period.

But in the end, it's all our defensemen, which Chia has helped assembled, so kudos goes out to him. We FINALLY have a defense corps to be proud of, and we don't have to watch in fear when we have a lead now, but with confidence that we can beat anyone on any given night. But I really see Larsson as incredibly important part to our D, and the glue that holding it mostly all together, more-so than any other defender with maybe the exception of Klefbom. But they are all playing so well right now, and part of that is having chemistry with each, which thankfully Klef and Larsson found almost immediately, along with Sekera and Russell. Davidson and Benning also complement each other well, but they can also fit in other pairings with ease, which is a testament to their skill and ability.

The bottom line, and the TL;DR: We FINALLY have a defense made up of many quality defensemen, and have more of them then we've ever had in the past. You just can't win without this dimension on your team. Larsson is as big a part of it as anyone. If I was offered the ability to take back the trade, I'd say HELL NO! I love actually having a good defense for once! Finally I don't have to watch our team get pelted on for the final 10 minutes of the 3rd period when they're ahead a goal -- it just doesn't happen anymore. We're better than that; we can be confident that our team will pull out the victory, and our defense is a HUGE reason why. I don't want to ever go back to those times when our D gave us fits, and any lead seemed unsafe. NO FREAKING WAY! Keep moving forward and don't look back. It's working, the team is winning, our players are still mostly young and still learning and getting better and better. The fact is, there's a LOT of reasons for optimism, and no one can take that away from us, and a couple iffy trades by Chia (Larsson not being one of them, IMO) doesn't change that. Good and exciting times are ahead. :handclap:

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd have taken either of those. Your prototypical Swedish defenceman is Hedman lol. Anyway, I otherwise agree, I expected a Fayne-esque player. Not what we got. We got ourselves an amazing defenceman. Good trade by Chia (although it wasn't bad by Shero either). Helps us now and into the future. Doesn't really help NJ now (mostly because they failed to get a Larsson replacement) but will help them in the future as well.

Yeah, I think Shero really would've had to have signed Russell and Demers, to help fill the void left by Larsson, for the Devils to have taken a step ahead this year. They really need some elite young centers, so trading away their best trading chip for a winger doesn't make sense to me. Zacha may be a good future #2 center, but they lack a sure-fire #1 guy both at center and on D and just top-4 Dmen in general, as Shero also over-estimated his real team depth on defense. They have quite a lot of building to do, IMO, if they want to be true competitors. Poor Hall -- there's going to be more very lean years in NJ. Kinda feel bad for him there. But I still wouldn't take back the trade over emotions. It's not like I feel THAT bad for him, but it surely must suck to be stuck on that team that is going nowhere fast, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia