Player Discussion Adam Larsson Part II - The Right Hand (Mod Warning Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

In case some can't see the tweets:
#1: Larsson and Khaira game time decisions.
#2: No indication Russell will miss any time.
#3: Maintenance day for Draisaitl and is why he skipped the skills comp.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

In case some can't see the tweets:
#1: Larsson and Khaira game time decisions.
#2: No indication Russell will miss any time.
#3: Maintenance day for Draisaitl and is why he skipped the skills comp.

all good news

thanks McFuhyrous!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm in that group. Now if Reinhart turns into a 4-6 Dman, Chia for PM because I regret voting Liberal now

I don't mind if the Oilers GM takes free trips to private islands off the Bahamas. :laugh:

If Reinhart were to turn into a solid pro that would turn that trade around.

I almost never listen to Lowetide. He was going off on Chia because of the Hall trade and the Reinhart trade. I dunno, but Larsson seems to be playing a pretty valuable role for this team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Because oh man, the Oilers were just about to turn the corner. :sarcasm:

We might've dodged a bullet named Subban too.

I think of the "bullet" dodged in that situation as not losing the assets it would have cost more then the player not being very good.

Edit: Larsson probably sits tonight, right? Not exactly a powerhouse rolling into Rogers Place tonight.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think of the "bullet" dodged in that situation as not losing the assets it would have cost more then the player not being very good.

Edit: Larsson probably sits tonight, right? Not exactly a powerhouse rolling into Rogers Place tonight.

The oilers are the last team in the league that could call the Coyotes not a powerhouse :)

Absolute must have points against a team we always struggle against. Need the best team we can ice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The oilers are the last team in the league that could call the Coyotes not a powerhouse :)

Absolute must have points against a team we always struggle against. Need the best team we can ice.

The Oilers have to run all over the Yotes at every opportunity. Stop giving this garbage team any respect.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Oilers have to run all over the Yotes at every opportunity. Stop giving this garbage team any respect.

I really hope today is the day that finally happens. Maybe the last time we played them could have been that day too, but the refs did everything in their power to try to screw us over and made the game way harder than it should have been.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

He's a game time decision.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't mind if the Oilers GM takes free trips to private islands off the Bahamas. :laugh:

If Reinhart were to turn into a solid pro that would turn that trade around.

I almost never listen to Lowetide. He was going off on Chia because of the Hall trade and the Reinhart trade. I dunno, but Larsson seems to be playing a pretty valuable role for this team.

Honestly, what does he know?

He's popular, that's about it.

He still talks about Marc-Andre Pouliot like the one that got away. Yeesh.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I really hope today is the day that finally happens. Maybe the last time we played them could have been that day too, but the refs did everything in their power to try to screw us over and made the game way harder than it should have been.

Yes, the Eric Gryba "5 minute major for a hit to the head" wow I still can't believe how bad that call was.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

that one was hard to watch.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Adam Larsson potential

What do you guys think of Adam Larsson so far. I rarely get to see the Oilers. Do you guys think he has any offensive potential. I see he only has 2 goals this season and I was hoping this was the year he would finally find his offensive stride. I always thought he would be similar to Victor Hedman in that he would eventually develop that part of his game.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
I think his upside is Erik Johan Mattias "Notan" Norström

Mat+Norstrom.jpg

Here's the career stats to show career trajectory: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3998

Mattias Norström
6'1
205 lbs
Top pairing, stay-at-home defenseman.

Matty was an incredible leader and defender. If we have a guy like that for the next 10-15 years, we're set.

I know Oiler fans won't like that comp. It's a huge disappointment given where he was rated in his youth. Larsson was widely regarded as a better prospect than Victor Hedman in Sweden, but up to this point in their development, his offensive game has just not developed. His defensive game has grown leaps and bounds over the past 2 seasons though. He will only get better.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What do you guys think of Adam Larsson so far. I rarely get to see the Oilers. Do you guys think he has any offensive potential. I see he only has 2 goals this season and I was hoping this was the year he would finally find his offensive stride. I always thought he would be similar to Victor Hedman in that he would eventually develop that part of his game.

we have a rather long thread about him already

lots of good reading there

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think his upside is Erik Johan Mattias "Notan" Norström

Mat+Norstrom.jpg

Here's the career stats to show career trajectory: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3998

Mattias Norström
6'1
205 lbs
Top pairing, stay-at-home defenseman.

Matty was an incredible leader and defender. If we have a guy like that for the next 10-15 years, we're set.

I know Oiler fans won't like that comp. It's a huge disappointment given where he was rated in his youth. Larsson was widely regarded as a better prospect than Victor Hedman in Sweden, but up to this point in their development, his offensive game has just not developed. His defensive game has grown leaps and bounds over the past 2 seasons though. He will only get better.

I think you really underestimate his puck moving potential. I peg him more as:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4085

Opps, copied the wrong one .... left it there for a laugh, that is what happens when you have too many windows open. This one should work.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5923

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Realistically he can be an elite shutdown defenseman--Chris Phillips is the best comparison probably.
I don't think he's offensive upside is all that great at this point. It's not likely it will develop miraculously from now on. Klefbom will probably always be a better offensive player, but less reliable defensively.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
After watching him this many games I am more disappointed in his offense than I thought I would be. His shot and puck handling skills need some serious work before I would consider them dangerous.

His usage is zero PP and few real offensive opportunities. His partner often seems given the green light to jump into the play where he does not.

If Edmonton actually follows through and starts using him in an offensive capacity I believe he "could" get as many as 40 points in a career year. Probably on average moving forward tho he is 25 point per year guy.

Great player tho. Gritty, tough, solid gap control, solid first pass. A true top pairing level shutdown defender. Think he is a solid #2 (or at worst #3) with still room to grow. New Jersey is really missing him and we are obviously much much much better with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille