Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
3 goals across 2 games on home ice, losing both. What an effort.

Think I saw a stat somewhere that the Leafs have scored more than 2 goals once in their last 12 playoff games. Astoundingly pathetic on its own, but especially so given what they pay their top 4 forwards

• Haha
Reactions: mightyquack

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Think I saw a stat somewhere that the Leafs have scored more than 2 goals once in their last 12 playoff games. Astoundingly pathetic on its own, but especially so given what they pay their top 4 forwards
That's the worst nightmare for a team, having a core good enough to do well in the regular season but go completely invisible when it matters.

Toronto are just stuck unless they blow it up.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Justice for Dallas, but I almost wonder if they come out of that win worse. Played by far their best game of the season, and are only able to win in OT.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
In your daily injury update: Jets' Brenden Dillon got a nasty deep skate cut in the last game and is, unsurprisingly, out for today. Apparently not as bad as it could have been, though, cause Dillon himself wants to play.

• Wow
Reactions: duckaroosky

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The 2 millimeter offsides challenges should die
There needs to be an addendum to that rule that limits the reviews to like a minimum distance of 3 inches from the line for reviews. Otherwise it just kills momentum and turns a live sport into a stupid static game of millimeters.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
There needs to be an addendum to that rule that limits the reviews to like a minimum distance of 3 inches from the line for reviews. Otherwise it just kills momentum and turns a live sport into a stupid static game of millimeters.
I prefer a time limit. If you can't determine conclusively that the call should be overturned in 30 seconds (maybe 60 seconds, but no longer than that), the call stands. Combined with the delay of game penalty, that will force coaches to only challenge calls that are obvious.

Devon Toews is so good. I still can't believe that trade for the Avs. They got a steal.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Watching good teams play is kinda fun, especially when I don't care which teams win. But geez, it just shows how bad the Ducks are and how poorly coached they are.

Reactions: Dryish

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Watching good teams play is kinda fun, especially when I don't care which teams win. But geez, it just shows how bad the Ducks are and how poorly coached they are.
I yearn for the day when the Ducks employ a coach who does not coach dump and chase but instead wants possession and zone breakouts and zone entries with speed. I'm not convinced dump and chase will ever work.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
There needs to be some kind of tracking technology for the puck on the goal lines and at the blue lines. Make both calls automatic and unarguable.
For the goal lines yes. The tracking technology would be more difficult with the blue line because you have to track the players as well. But I guess soccer does it with their offsides. I still hate a goal being overturned because a guy is a few millimeters offsides and ultimately didn't even have an impact on the goal.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Injury update: Vancouver is cursed. Down to their third string goalie now.

Hey! :laugh:

I know I'm biased as hell but that third string goalie is last years Worlds MVP and brought us the bronze :laugh:

I was kind of hoping he'd get a chance but it sucks others had to be injured. Hopefully nothing serious for them. Not that I was short of reasons to root against Preds but go Nucks even more now!

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I’m kinda blown away people thought WPG had a chance
Really? Hellebuyck, when on his game, is good enough to steal a few, and Georgiev is not good. And Winnipeg has enough depth that they could score some goals. But Hellebuyck has not been good, and outside of game 1, Georgiev has been good enough.

But there was a very realistic path to victory in this series for the Jets. It just involves the goalies being not what they have been the last three games.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Really? Hellebuyck, when on his game, is good enough to steal a few, and Georgiev is not good. And Winnipeg has enough depth that they could score some goals. But Hellebuyck has not been good, and outside of game 1, Georgiev has been good enough.

But there was a very realistic path to victory in this series for the Jets. It just involves the goalies being not what they have been the last three games.
Elite talent wins out this time of year. MacKinnon and Makar are just too much

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
For the goal lines yes. The tracking technology would be more difficult with the blue line because you have to track the players as well. But I guess soccer does it with their offsides. I still hate a goal being overturned because a guy is a few millimeters offsides and ultimately didn't even have an impact on the goal.

I agree on hating the millimetres thing, but if they're going to do it anyways they'd might as well get it right.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
I don’t get how that la goal was disallowed a few days ago, yet you’re allowed to basically kick in a goal as long as the blade doesn’t come off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad