Player Discussion Adam Larsson Part II - The Right Hand (Mod Warning Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
The crosschecks are nice and all, but let's face it...that's not what got Larsson drafted 3rd overall. He is supposed to be a skilled defenceman who moves the puck well and puts some points on the board. He has generally not done those things this season. He is on pace for a measly 16 points. If Larsson has skill in him he needs to show it, or else that skill is in danger of eroding (use it or lose it). Did NJ ruin his development by turning him into a stay at home D?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The crosschecks are nice and all, but let's face it...that's not what got Larsson drafted 3rd overall. He is supposed to be a skilled defenceman who moves the puck well and puts some points on the board. He has not done those things this season. He is on pace for a measly 16 points. If Larsson has skill in him he needs to show it, or else that skill is in danger of eroding (use it or lose it). Did NJ ruin his development by turning him into a stay at home D?

A 16 point d-man with no PP time isn't that bad, tbh.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The crosschecks are nice and all, but let's face it...that's not what got Larsson drafted 3rd overall. He is supposed to be a skilled defenceman who moves the puck well and puts some points on the board. He has generally not done those things this season. He is on pace for a measly 16 points. If Larsson has skill in him he needs to show it, or else that skill is in danger of eroding (use it or lose it). Did NJ ruin his development by turning him into a stay at home D?

Did a lot of scouting of Larsson in the off season. Watched a lot of NJ games on Game Center. He had quick breakouts in NJ due to what looked like quick and snappy decision making. Hasn't shown much of that in Edmonton.

I hoped that he could rekindle some of his offensive potential (scouted at the draft as being on par with Hedman but with MORE offensive upside) with the Oilers but sadly it doesn't look like he's going to. He seems to be not QUICK enough to make offensive NHL plays. His shot is nothing special either.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
1) Larsson does not have an offensive upside. His shot is not good enough and he is not quick enough to create offense. Much of his points will come from the breakout.

2) With regards to the Devils replacing Larsson I agree that the Devils didn't do that this year. However, my hopes is that some of the young guys will step up, Merrill, Severson and Santini. Santini has looked incredible in his early NHL career - 7 games, +7. Merrill has also been coming on as of late so the hope is he can continue this good play after a few years of inconsistencies and injuries.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Um... He's a great stay-at-home D. I think you are vastly overrating offensive D. A "skilled" defenceman. What in the world is that supposed to mean? Larsson is exceptionally skilled at shutting down the opposition. Or do you not think that's an important skill for a defenceman?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Basically if Larsson never progresses from here on out Ill be happy with him. Hes a solid defensive D and a top pairing D imo (albeit not a great one). But watching this last stretch I do see new dynamics to his game that came sort of out of nowhere. That leads me to believe he had them, just had a leash on. I think over time well start to see him chip in more offensively- likely just from points of rush

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
If people are disappointed that Larsson doesn't produce offense for a third overall defenseman, then I'd love to hear what they think about RNH being a first overall pick...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hopefully we can gut this game out tonight. Hope the injury is just a bad bruise or something, and in the end Larsson will just end up getting the benefit of some rest before the grind next week.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Basically if Larsson never progresses from here on out Ill be happy with him. Hes a solid defensive D and a top pairing D imo (albeit not a great one). But watching this last stretch I do see new dynamics to his game that came sort of out of nowhere. That leads me to believe he had them, just had a leash on. I think over time well start to see him chip in more offensively- likely just from points of rush

I agree with this, pace is insignificant at this stage. He is/has been getting used to the team and the big difference I see these last games is that he doesn't defer the break out pass as much as before. He is starting to move the puck up the ice quicker and more controlled which I think is a sign that he is starting to understand where his team mates are / are going.

His shot is underrated tough. I won't go into arguments with devils fans here about it but that is the truth. He needs to get used to getting it off though, and that may not happen this season. I am also very happy with what he is today, but I think there actually is much more in there and he has loads of potential still. Could take a couple of years though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't get why he was suppose to have so much offense. He wasn't some sort of superstar offensively in the SEL or the World Juniors. I do agree that 16 points is low, but he really isn't getting any PP time.

I'd like to see more offense personally, but I'm 100% fine if it doesn't come but allows the current roster to continue to be a way better team

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If people are disappointed that Larsson doesn't produce offense for a third overall defenseman, then I'd love to hear what they think about RNH being a first overall pick...
There's probably only 100 or so threads since the start of the season that discuss this.

Well that might be low since we played 44 games and we have a Pre-GD, GDT and Post-gd for most games

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/01/14/oilers-snapshots-davidson-still-upset-over-tkachuk-cheap-shot

THIS HURTS

The Oilers were without defenceman Adam Larsson Saturday against the Flames and while McLellan wouldn’t say what the injury was, he can’t hide what it means.

“You don’t,†he said, when asked how he can replace what Larsson brings to the team. “You put bodies in but you don’t replace him. You do things more by committee. Hopefully it’s short term.â€

"Hopefully it's short term" suggests an MRI coming.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I feel like any time McLellan uses the word "hopefully" in the context of injuries is code for "out for a long time".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad