Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Based on the fact that Gaudette has more goals and points than Sutter.

Virtanen has more even strength goals than Petey and Boeser is Virtanen a better goal scorer than those two? I don't think so.

Look, I was as much of a Sutter supporter as anyone here. When healthy he can score goals regardless of who he plays with, but anyone can see that Gaudette plays a more skilled game and is the better playmaker. Had Sutter averaged his previously usual 80 games the past 4 seasons here he would be remembered differently. But he's now 30 and turning 31 in Feb. If Gaudette can shoulder that 3rd line C spot going forward you give it to him.

But the fact is Boeser and Petey had proven to be a better a goal scorer than Virtanen 5 on 5 already. Gaudette has never be proven to be a better 5 on 5 player than Sutter.

So Gaudette plays more of a skill game but it doesn't mean he able to produce more. Tambellini plays more of skill game than Manny but Manny produces more. Gaudette has only 16 even strength points in 80 games and that is with easy matchup and lot of offensive zone starts. This season he took 16 games to score first 5 on 5 goal and only had 1 primary assist this year that didn't go off of a skate. Why he can't produce more 5 on 5? It's because he still struggle in keeping pace with the nhl and can't make quick decision with the puck. So Gaudette is suppose to be this skill player and he has less 1 shot a game at even strength. His playmaking is not great. I see so many passes he makes that goes off a player skate. Passes back to the point to nobody. With Gaudette he needs a lot extra space to do his stuff, the nhl he doesn't have that extra space.

Sure if Gaudette can shoulder the third line center. We should give it to him but he can't.

If you feel Sutter should be traded because he is always hurt. Fair enough but Sutter is still here and when he is lineup. He is better player than Gaudette.

Gaudette only strength he has is that he has above average shot. I don't see any other strength in his game. But he issue using his shot because the nhl is too fast for him

A lot of scouting reports before he came to nhl had him as a third line center. Jason Botchford ( rip) once said in a YouTube video? Most people in the Canucks organization see him as a third line center as well. His upside in many hockey people eyes is not that high.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I completely agree with you about Sutter and Gaudette, but my only concern is that Gaudette can’t “bring it” defensively like Sutter does. As a result, it does seem like Horvat has been taking on the tougher defensive match-ups (which has lead to Horvat’s offensive production declining). The Canucks seem to be surrendering a lot more goals with Sutter out of the line-up.

Moving Gaudette to the wing might be an option, but Gaudette clearly feels more comfortable at center.

I do agree that demoting Gaudette in any shape or form would be a massive injustice.

I do have one “crackpot” idea that I’d like to mention:

Miller-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Gaudette-Pettersson
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel provides some muscle to the kid line. Wondering if something like that would be worth experimenting with?

In most cases you only move your franchise center to the wing if your franchise center is aging and is breaking down like Yzerman and Lemieux late in their career.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
From watching him play, Gaudette has a decent motor and hustles; he's relentless enough on the forecheck that he can hound opponents into disrupting breakouts and causing turnovers. Has the makings of a winger if the Canucks ever go that route.

He seems to be really focused on supporting the puck in his own end and coming back low to help out the D, though his positioning when swinging out to the point could probably use more work. Still needs to add more strength, he was getting knocked down here and there and is getting outmuscled at times.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Gaudette is noticeable in the offensive zone nearly every game at this point. I think he's solidly an NHL forward, it's a question of where in the lineup he settles. He's got the skill to score regularly

Reactions: timw33

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Anyone else remember the 2017 prospects camp Gaudette after throwing a crushing hit on Pettersson said “We’re competing for the same spot on the team so I wanted to let him know that I was there and I could keep up with him” ? That was great, I loved it, Gaudette has the best attitude. He may even just take the 1st line center spot away from Petey if he keeps getting better like this.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Anyone else remember the 2017 prospects camp Gaudette after throwing a crushing hit on Pettersson said “We’re competing for the same spot on the team so I wanted to let him know that I was there and I could keep up with him” ? That was great, I loved it, Gaudette has the best attitude. He may even just take the 1st line center spot away from Petey if he keeps getting better like this.
That was when I had a strong gut feeling that Gaudette would play in the NHL. I don't think he's ever going to take Petey's spot, but he might be a very good winger for Petey to have

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

Um what? Never in a MILLION years will Gaudette take the number 1 spot from Pettersson. Are you being serious?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Um what? Never in a MILLION years will Gaudette take the number 1 spot from Pettersson. Are you being serious?

I’m 100% serious, Gaudette has that burning attitude to get better that makes people look foolish when they try to impose limits on his ceiling. There’s nothing he can’t do. Of course Petey has that same attitude so it will be tough but I do think Adam has a chance. What’s an Alien to a Gaud?

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

That is probably the most ridiculous comment made on hockeysfuture forum history. When everyone was healthy Gaudette couldn't even take the 3rd line center FROM Sutter. He only has that spot because Sutter can't stay healthy. He still needs to go through Horvat to get to Petey. Green doesn't even trust Gaudette defensively, that's why he gets easy matchup and doesn't get a lot of Dzone starts. You think he can improve from the coaching not trusting him and couldn't take a top 3 center away to become the Canucks number 1 center? Wow just wow. There is an "I was wrong thread on the main Canucks board" in a few years if that thread is still up. I want you to go there and admit you are wrong. Some user saying he will take over Horvat spot is even ridiculous enough, you take it to another level.

Half of his Gaudette points are on the pp. He is on pace close to 20 ppp. That is 100% not sustainable, he has the highest offensive zone starts out of every Forward on the team that played more than a few games and he has one of the worst corsi on the team. He had 2 G 6 A 8 P five on five points. That's the same number of points Sutter has five on five. Everyone think Sutter horrible five on five and yet Gaudette can't outscore him yet. In 27 games? Gaudette has only scored in one game five on five. That was 2 goals in an 8-6 pits loss. In the game when there was defence and goaltending. 26 out 27 games no 5 on 5 goals, yet some how this player is showing such great improvement that he is over the number 1 center one day. I just can't believe what I just read.

Reactions: GoldyNuck

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That is probably the most ridiculous comment made on hockeysfuture forum history. When everyone was healthy Gaudette couldn't even take the 3rd line center FROM Sutter. He only has that spot because Sutter can't stay healthy. He still needs to go through Horvat to get to Petey. Green doesn't even trust Gaudette defensively, that's why he gets easy matchup and doesn't get a lot of Dzone starts. You think he can improve from the coaching not trusting him and couldn't take a top 3 center away to become the Canucks number 1 center? Wow just wow. There is an "I was wrong thread on the main Canucks board" in a few years if that thread is still up. I want you to go there and admit you are wrong. Some user saying he will take over Horvat spot is even ridiculous enough, you take it to another level.

Half of his Gaudette points are on the pp. He is on pace close to 20 ppp. That is 100% not sustainable, he has the highest offensive zone starts out of every Forward on the team that played more than a few games and he has one of the worst corsi on the team. He had 2 G 6 A 8 P five on five points. That's the same number of points Sutter has five on five. Everyone think Sutter horrible five on five and yet Gaudette can't outscore him yet. In 27 games? Gaudette has only scored in one game five on five. That was 2 goals in an 8-6 pits loss. In the game when there was defence and goaltending. 26 out 27 games no 5 on 5 goals, yet some how this player is showing such great improvement that he is over the number 1 center one day. I just can't believe what I just read.

You’re dismissing power play points like they don’t exist and I’m the one that’s being ridiculous? You said absolutely nothing that I couldn’t have looked up on a stats website aka your argument is completely based on stat watching which is the worst form of argument on this site.

Gaudette is in his first full season in the NHL and is on pace for over 50 points and has shown plenty of room for growth in his game. The fact that he’s good on the power play is a positive not a negative. He can absolutely score, skate, think, and work/hustle at a high enough level to be a top contributor in the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Gaudette on track to supplant Bo as the Canucks de-facto second line center? He already has a better shot; has a playmaking and shooter's mentality on the pp; and seems to be getting better every month.

Horvat on the other hand seems to be just stalled at the moment. He's a net-front presence on the pp; but that's about it. And five-on-five he just doesn't drive much offense any more, because he can't make his winters around him better or get them involved in the play.

A couple of months you'd have scoffed at this notion. But I'm not so sure any more.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Is Gaudette on track to supplant Bo as the Canucks de-facto second line center? He already has a better shot; has a playmaking and shooter's mentality on the pp; and seems to be getting better every month.

Horvat on the other hand seems to be just stalled at the moment. He's a net-front presence on the pp; but that's about it. And five-on-five he just doesn't drive much offense any more, because he can't make his winters around him better or get them involved in the play.

A couple of months you'd have scoffed at this notion. But I'm not so sure any more.

Horvat has been good for us, Canuck fans just need something or someone to bitch about. Most teams would love to have him.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Horvat has been good for us, Canuck fans just need something or someone to ***** about. Most teams would love to have him.
Sure he's been 'good' for the Canucks and is a character guy to boot. But is nine goals and 27 points in 37 games; and a plus-minus of -12 a second-line center? Not on a 'good NHL team' it isn't.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Sure he's been 'good' for the Canucks and is a character guy to boot. But is nine goals and 27 points in 37 games; and a plus-minus of -12 a second-line center? Not on a 'good NHL team' it isn't.

He’s 24 years old who was just named captain of a big market team, these are still young kids who are developing. Canuck fans really need to learn patience. Most teams would love him and most fan bases would realize he’s young and to have patience.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Love the optimism for Gaudette. If he ever becomes better than Pettersson than we got some cups. If he turns into a 2nd line winger for Horvat for us for many years Id be thrilled with that too. He does keep doing things right so i agree with RMB not too put limits on his ceiling cause he does keep proving everyone wrong

Man I love my avatar :yo:

Reactions: iFan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But the fact is Boeser and Petey had proven to be a better a goal scorer than Virtanen 5 on 5 already. Gaudette has never be proven to be a better 5 on 5 player than Sutter.

So Gaudette plays more of a skill game but it doesn't mean he able to produce more. Tambellini plays more of skill game than Manny but Manny produces more. Gaudette has only 16 even strength points in 80 games and that is with easy matchup and lot of offensive zone starts. This season he took 16 games to score first 5 on 5 goal and only had 1 primary assist this year that didn't go off of a skate. Why he can't produce more 5 on 5? It's because he still struggle in keeping pace with the nhl and can't make quick decision with the puck. So Gaudette is suppose to be this skill player and he has less 1 shot a game at even strength. His playmaking is not great. I see so many passes he makes that goes off a player skate. Passes back to the point to nobody. With Gaudette he needs a lot extra space to do his stuff, the nhl he doesn't have that extra space.

Sure if Gaudette can shoulder the third line center. We should give it to him but he can't.

If you feel Sutter should be traded because he is always hurt. Fair enough but Sutter is still here and when he is lineup. He is better player than Gaudette.

Gaudette only strength he has is that he has above average shot. I don't see any other strength in his game. But he issue using his shot because the nhl is too fast for him

A lot of scouting reports before he came to nhl had him as a third line center. Jason Botchford ( rip) once said in a YouTube video? Most people in the Canucks organization see him as a third line center as well. His upside in many hockey people eyes is not that high.

Have you changed your mind?

I don't understand all your talk about Gaudette's upside. You are saying his upside is a 3rd line C. We are talking about the merits of trading Sutter and giving Gaudette the 3rd line C role.

I think Gaudette is a better playmaker than Sutter. Playmaking is one of Sutter's weakness. Defensively and ability to score goals regardless of linemates Sutter at his best is more proven. But that's not really relevant for me. I made it clear in my last post. Gaudette turned 23 in October. Sutter is 30 and turning 31 in February. Even if Sutter had averaged 80+ games, 20+ goals and ~35 points the past few seasons I would say trade him, pick up an asset, and go with a cheaper and younger Gaudette. The fact that Sutter has been unable to stay healthy makes things even easier.

Sutter isn't going to help this team long term. Gaudette might. If he doesn't, well an aging Sutter isn't going help either.

Reactions: Nomobo

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Last year Gaudette wasn't even a good 4th line player. Gaudette started first 3 games ok this year, a bunch of healthy scratches, came back in the lineup had a few flukey points. So Gaudette had around a solid 20 game stretch. If everyone analyze this and ask yourself, did you think Gaudette was going to be a future top 6 F last year? the answer is No, so a small sample size around 20 games and that change everyone perception about Gaudette, that is really ridiculous,

So I guess if Petey has a 20 game stretch or close to 2 ppg. I guess people will think he is the next Gretzky

So I guess if Boeser has a 20 game stretch and is pace for 60 goals. I guess people think he is next Bure.

Sounds ridiculous right? That exactly what you guys are doing right now

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

You are using plus minus to pump on Gaudette more, unbelievable, every one knows plus/minus is very misleading stat, you are not taking into consideration that Horvat needs to play the tough mins because Gaudette is not capable of doing that. That is going to hurt your plus/minus

If Plus/minus is such a big thing for you, Sutter has a better plus/minus than Gaudette, Gaudette has the highest offensive zone start percentage on the team and is a -2.

A third line should be making some tough matchup away from your top 2 center so they can concentrate more on offence like how Manny help Kesler and Bolland help Toews before. But Gaudette can't do that.

I said many many times with Gaudette in the lineup. You sacrifice offence from Horvat because Horvat needs to play the tougher minutes. But all the Gaudette lovers just ignore that part.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Id like to see him play with Horvat on the 2nd line wing. Anything is better than Eriksson.

Our management group would really like to be careful with Gaudette’s development. He doesn’t have much experience playing on the wing and he’s far more comfortable at center.

Management and coaching will make sure that Gaudette stays at center.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Pettersson move to the the wing IF Horvat, Gaudette, and Sutter are destined to play down the middle.

Pettersson is a lot like J.T. Miller. You can use Pettersson in pretty much any role. Pettersson is also the type of guy that could play on the wings for months on end, and then move back to center without missing a beat.

I for one, would be very interested in seeing a Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser line.

You can then use Gaudette as your 2nd C pivot, and have J.T. Miller as his wingman.

Reactions: LordBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad