Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
They’ll try and move Sutter obviously (when management feels that Gaudette brings value which is equal or very close to what Sutter brings), but here’s an idea that I had:

It involves promoting Gaudette to the NHL *without* having to move Sutter or Beagle. It’s not an idea that I’m necessarily behind, as much as I’m attempting to “think out loud” here.

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Goldobin-Sutter-Eriksson
Roussel-Beagle-Motte

So - instead of promoting Gaudette at the expense of Sutter, Granlund gets the bump instead [or Goldobin if the Canucks move in from him].

Put all the eggs in one basket (top line), while giving Gaudette the necessary ice time to develop into a 2nd line C.
Petterson should not be moved from center. He is an elite player if anyone goes to wing its Gaudette. The better move would be to trade Sutter and give Gaudette the 3rd line role. Playing Goldobin with Sutter is stupid, Sutter should be playing a defensive role, and Goldobn really shouldn't.

That lineup has a first line ,2 3rd lines and 4th line.

Goldobin- Petterson- Boeser
Baertschi- Horvat - Gaudette
Leivo - Sutter- Virtanen
Roussel- Beagle- Eriksson/Motte

Man thats an expensive 4th line.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Petterson should not be moved from center. He is an elite player if anyone goes to wing its Gaudette. The better move would be to trade Sutter and give Gaudette the 3rd line role. Playing Goldobin with Sutter is stupid, Sutter should be playing a defensive role, and Goldobn really shouldn't.

Leivo - Sutter- Virtanen

Totally get where you’re coming from with regards to Pettersson. I just remembered from a long time ago, they moved Mario Lemieux to left wing so that Ron Francis could play between Lemieux and Jagr.

Lemieux-Francis-Jagr. :o :o :o.

Still the best line that I’ve ever seen play. They dominated during the Dead Puck era and played hockey the way it was meant to be played.

Also get where you’re coming from with Goldobin. I wouldn’t actually play him Sutter. I was just penciling Goldie in because I didn’t know where to put him. If my above idea ever came to fruition, my guess is that both Goldobin and Granlund would be gone. Goldie for a pick, and Granny takes a walk at season’s end.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

Leivo - Sutter- Virtanen

Benning stated on the radio they plan on Gaudette being a centre and never wing. Also said they will find a way to make room for him; all indications are Sutter will be moved in the offseason or forced to play wing.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

Leivo - Sutter- Virtanen

That forward lineup only has two players I’d move hell and earth to remove from this team and three players I would put up with but would hope we could upgrade through some savvy moves

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Totally get where you’re coming from with regards to Pettersson. I just remembered from a long time ago, they moved Mario Lemieux to left wing so that Ron Francis could play between Lemieux and Jagr.

Lemieux-Francis-Jagr. :o :o :o.

Still the best line that I’ve ever seen play. They dominated during the Dead Puck era and played hockey the way it was meant to be played.

Also get where you’re coming from with Goldobin. I wouldn’t actually play him Sutter. I was just penciling Goldie in because I didn’t know where to put him. If my above idea ever came to fruition, my guess is that both Goldobin and Granlund would be gone. Goldie for a pick, and Granny takes a walk at season’s end.
That line was before the dead puck era, and the game today is different you cant win without depth. Y

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Benning stated on the radio they plan on Gaudette being a centre and never wing. Also said they will find a way to make room for him; all indications are Sutter will be moved in the offseason or forced to play wing.
Thats probably true my Point was that Petterson isnt moving to LW to give Gaudette a center spot.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
yeah its not like Im happy with it
I agree but it’s what we got at the moment and it makes me feel like we aren’t far off from being a legit playoff team, considering there are a few pieces in the system that can help shape that forward group. Now playoff contender is what we are close to but a cup contender we certainly are not. Looking at the forward group is great, but when you factor in the defense our average goes considerable down and we need some real improvement there

We go a whopping 6 for 6 when it comes to needing improvement, I say that because of Edler and Tanevs age and durability

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sutter loses his full ntc on July 1. Can be dealt to half the league at that point. They just need to make sure that they have some depth to call guys up due to injury.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

mrw-someone-showed-me-a-subreddit-dedicated-to-jeff-goldblum-after-i-told-them-i-did-not-believ-them-77760.gif

As expected.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
4g 2a 6pts in his last 8 games that he has played around 10 minutes.

Time for Green to wake the frig up on this kid and start using him more.

Beauty cross ice pass to Spooner on the PP that he flubbed and a great game tying snipe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
4g 2a 6pts in his last 8 games that he has played around 10 minutes.

Time for Green to wake the frig up on this kid and start using him more.

Beauty cross ice pass to Spooner on the PP that he flubbed and a great game tying snipe

Yep. I was disappointed in Gaudette at the beginning of the season but he is definitely showing why many of us were hopeful that he would be a real good player for the Canucks.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yep. I was disappointed in Gaudette at the beginning of the season but he is definitely showing why many of us were hopeful that he would be a real good player for the Canucks.

Seems to be finding his game. Should have spent that time in the AHL rather than playing a few minutes in the NHL. Getting significant time in Utica was probably good for him.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Columbus needs a center. Trade Sutter for Wennberg and put Wennberg on Pettersson's wing.

Sutter-30 yrs old. 9 seasons removed from his career high in production of 40 pts. Poor passer. Has missed substantial parts of 3 of the past 4 seasons with injury. 6 points in 26 games this season, CF%Rel -6.4. Cap hit $4.375 million.

Wennberg-24 years old. Scored 59 points 2 seasons ago. Good passer. 23 points in 59 games this season, his worst since his rookie season. CF%Rel + 0.4. Cap hit $4.9 million.

These players don't seem remotely close in trade value to me, even if one doesn't take into account that Tortorella is a polarizing coach. I remember what a terrible time Hansen, Burrows and Edler had under Torts in 2013-14 and have to think there is some hope that a young player who is struggling under Tortorella might bounce back when put with a coach who isn't so volatile.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seems to be finding his game. Should have spent that time in the AHL rather than playing a few minutes in the NHL. Getting significant time in Utica was probably good for him.

I think the time he spent at the AHL level did help him gain some confidence. In reality, it looks like he just needed to figure things out at the NHL level so it's hard to say that he didn't benefit from playing in the NHL and not producing much.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
One 15 minute game all season. I don't think we have any inkling what we actually have in Gaudette.

I don't think he's an NHL center, even though that's where most of his minutes have been played.

Pointless in 12, minus 5 over that period. He should've stayed in Utica.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
One 15 minute game all season. I don't think we have any inkling what we actually have in Gaudette.

I don't think he's an NHL center, even though that's where most of his minutes have been played.

there's an awful lot of rookies over the years you could write off using 12 games snap shots even when their team is playing well. nearly all of them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is an example of lousy player development that’s really frustrating.

Gaudette came up from Utica in February with a ton of confidence and looked dangerous and was skating and playing really well and probably our most noticeable forward on a few occasions.

On this horribly wing-thin team, he should have been put on the wing to close out the season next to Pettersson or Horvat to build on that confidence and see what we have as a potential top-6 forward.

Instead they leave him trundling around for 10 minutes/game with bad linemates while they keep throwing those top-6 minutes at Goldobin, Eriksson, Granlund, Leivo. And Gaudette loses the mojo and confidence he had and is back to just getting by.

Petterssons succeed in every organization and Gadjoviches bust. It’s the guys on the edge in the middle that the Tampas build into NHL players and the Edmontons destroy. And Green is a coach who will keep destroying these guys.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
there's an awful lot of rookies over the years you could write off using 12 games snap shots even when their team is playing well. nearly all of them.
Who said I've written him off?

I'm griping about his lack of opportunity to show more down the stretch (9-13 minutes TOI/gm) and that the organization and Gaudette would've probably been better served moving forward to be "the man" in Utica.

He can play NHL minutes so that's solid, especially from his draft position, but if we want this team to turn a corner, it's going to need guys who drive lines and win the matchup battle. He's a year younger than Bo....for some context.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Gaudette came up from Utica in February with a ton of confidence and looked dangerous and was skating and playing really well and probably our most noticeable forward on a few occasions.

On this horribly wing-thin team, he should have been put on the wing to close out the season next to Pettersson or Horvat to build on that confidence and see what we have as a potential top-6 forward.

Instead they leave him trundling around for 10 minutes/game with bad linemates while they keep throwing those top-6 minutes at Goldobin, Eriksson, Granlund, Leivo. And Gaudette loses the mojo and confidence he had and is back to just getting by.

Petterssons succeed in every organization and Gadjoviches bust. It’s the guys on the edge in the middle that the Tampas build into NHL players and the Edmontons destroy. And Green is a coach who will keep destroying these guys.
Yeah, this was the exact point I was trying to draw with my post.

The organization is so desperate to have a "youth movement" that they're not interested in developing these players to become closer to their ceiling, if they can swim they let them swim. And it works on a lot of fans....look how many lists of young players you're seeing pop up....people continue to try and lump Gaudette, Virtanen, Demko, Juolevi into the Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Horvat group and the only thing important to them is the age of the player, not the quality.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Who said I've written him off?

I'm griping about his lack of opportunity to show more down the stretch (9-13 minutes TOI/gm) and that the organization and Gaudette would've probably been better served moving forward to be "the man" in Utica.

He can play NHL minutes so that's solid, especially from his draft position, but if we want this team to turn a corner, it's going to need guys who drive lines and win the matchup battle. He's a year younger than Bo....for some context.

he is getting nothing but opportunity. he's on a fast track compared to bo as a rookie. look at his ozone starts and the power play time they are feeding him. his minutes are limited because you can only shelter the guy so much even in garbage time, and because he is fading down the stretch as rookies do.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i disagree with this completely. they are focussed on developing him as a centre. most centres go through a tougher apprenticeship than gaudette has done in terms of line mates and deployment. i actually think game to game they are being too soft on the guy and feeding him too much opportunity.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
he is getting nothing but opportunity. he's on a fast track compared to bo as a rookie. look at his ozone starts and the power play time they are feeding him. his minutes are limited because you can only shelter the guy so much even in garbage time, and because he is fading down the stretch as rookies do.
I disagree. One 15 minute game all season speaks to this.

Fading down the stretch? It's not as if he's been playing a ton of minutes. I don't think he's fading...I think the development plan and implementation of it has been poor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad