Player Discussion Adam Fox

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
2 things Makar has over Fox:

• Goalscoring, which isn't really relevant. Primary points is more telling anyway
  • Draft position, which doesn't matter at all
If Fox was a top-5 pick like Makar, we're not even having this conversation. It's also fascinating that fans say that "Everyone only cares about the Rangers" when in fact the Nashville Predators staff had to ask Dave Maloney who "this Fox kid" is. So yeah... That's pretty cringe.

Smoked that response.

will it fit in my tag line underneath my username ya think?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Idk if it's just me but I noticed if there's on knock on Fox it's clearing the crease and boxing his man out, and sometimes getting lost when the puck is cycled high in the dzone.

2nd VGK goal last night kinda shows both, he went out to challenge a point shot which should be a winger's responsibility. And left a big screen for Georgie to deal with on a medium danger shot at best.

That's really the only thing I think he could improve on, letting the goalie see more shots when he has to battle his man in front.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Idk if it's just me but I noticed if there's on knock on Fox it's clearing the crease and boxing his man out, and sometimes getting lost when the puck is cycled high in the dzone.

2nd VGK goal last night kinda shows both, he went out to challenge a point shot which should be a winger's responsibility. And left a big screen for Georgie to deal with on a medium danger shot at best.

That's really the only thing I think he could improve on, letting the goalie see more shots when he has to battle his man in front.

It should be the winger's responsibility, but Chytil was way out of position because he thought he could get to the puck before the LD. Fox was trying to stop the guy from walking all the way in.

I would definitely agree that he is poor at boxing guys out. But that's the least important skill for a defenseman who steals as many pucks and dictates such an abnormal amount of positive puck possession, as Fox.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This was a post pumping the tires of McDavid, but look who's number 4.

269812788_10158324852092466_2526491381689445517_n.jpg

Reactions: Rongomania

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He’s been very good the last few games. Starting to look like his early season self.

Oh, and he’s pacing 84 points with no signs of slowing down. His name has been on the scoresheet 27/40 games to start the year.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Hopefully he makes a second half shift for the Norris. He'll probably need to score more goals than he normally does.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
2 things Makar has over Fox:

• Goalscoring, which isn't really relevant. Primary points is more telling anyway
  • Draft position, which doesn't matter at all
If Fox was a top-5 pick like Makar, we're not even having this conversation. It's also fascinating that fans say that "Everyone only cares about the Rangers" when in fact the Nashville Predators staff had to ask Dave Maloney who "this Fox kid" is. So yeah... That's pretty cringe.
I think goal scoring is definitely important. It's really hard to score goals in the NHL. But I don't think Makar is better than Fox when you consider that (a) Assists are still nearly as good as goals especially for a defensemen and (b) he's simply a better player in the defensive zone and neutral zone than Makar. He's more complete.

It's amazing we have Fox. I feel like we never have players who are this elite except at the goaltender position.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I think goal scoring is definitely important. It's really hard to score goals in the NHL. But I don't think Makar is better than Fox when you consider that (a) Assists are still nearly as good as goals especially for a defensemen and (b) he's simply a better player in the defensive zone and neutral zone than Makar. He's more complete.

It's amazing we have Fox. I feel like we never have players who are this elite except at the goaltender position.

I agree with this but what's the analytical support?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lets not undersell Makar or be bitter. He's a ridiculous offensive talent.

Fox is the more complete player, even though he hasn't been himself IMO over the past couple weeks. Fox has set the bar so ridiculously high

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Crazy stat of the week:

If Adam Fox just hits his current +/- pace for this season, he will already be top 10 all-time for the Rangers at +89, but he only has to break +75 to reach that distinction

Reactions: Kane One

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Pacing 88 points with excellent defense.

The last defenseman to break 88 points was Bourque in 93-94.

The Norris is quite competitive this year with Hedman, Josi, and Makar having exceptional seasons, but Fox definitely has a chance to repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad