Player Discussion Adam Fox

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Who's gonna replace him on PP1? Gustafsson?

Whoever it'll be, I'll need to add him on my fantasy team

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
My fear is that as quickly as they moved to put Fox on LTIR, this could be worse. Much worse.

Heart still squarely in my mouth.
or...just hear me out...or they needed to do it to ice a full team tomorrow with Pitlick and Shesty still not able to play and Goodrow away for the birth of his kid.

None of us know but if the rumors of an MCL sprain out there are true then it lines up with a grade two sprain which takes about 3-4 weeks. They aren't going to rush him back anyway for what would amount to two extra games (BOS, BUF).

Of course, if it's an ACL then he's done for season but it's possible that we would have heard about that from Rangers PR when they put out the LTIR notice.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Here's Staples, as amended with the LTIR new, in the Athletic:

Fox suffered what’s believed to be a knee injury on a leg-on-leg collision with Carolina’s Sebastian Aho in the first period. A league source indicated the initial prognosis was 2-4 weeks for Fox; coupled with the other injuries and Barclay Goodrow staying home for the birth of his first child, the Rangers needed cap flexibility they could only achieve by placing Fox on LTIR.

So I don't know, sounds like a sprain to me and he's back in the 10 game/24 day timespan with the LTIR more for roster flexibility than anything.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
LTIR longer than 10 games or 24 days.

Only 9 games until the 24 day mark. If he was diagnosed to miss 2-4 weeks, likely 3+, then putting him on LTIR saves them cap space for the end of the year to make moves. Hopefully thats the case and its not something really bad

Is this true? I thought that LTIR doesn't actually save you cap space, it just allows you to go over the cap by X amount while the player is injured. It's my understanding that once he returns, the Rangers will need to be cap compliant. Could be wrong tho
No, it's not true. Fox still counts in full against the cap and LTIR cap space can't be accrued.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
or...just hear me out...or they needed to do it to ice a full team tomorrow with Pitlick and Shesty still not able to play and Goodrow away for the birth of his kid.

None of us know but if the rumors of an MCL sprain out there are true then it lines up with a grade two sprain which takes about 3-4 weeks. They aren't going to rush him back anyway for what would amount to two extra games (BOS, BUF).

Of course, if it's an ACL then he's done for season but it's possible that we would have heard about that from Rangers PR when they put out the LTIR notice.
Staples is dying on the 2-4 week hill so the long end of the spectrum and LTIR was done for flexibility.

If he had a torn ACL I seriously doubt he'd have been able to get up and chase after the ref last night. Recall that when Svechnikov tore his ACL last season he was basically unable to get up and had to have several teammates help him off the ice while putting no weight on the injured knee. This was clearly not what happened to Fox. I think he needs a couple weeks to get his flexibility back followed by some conditioning time. Plus the schedule isn't that onerous over the period in question; it's just that there is a span of 4 games in I think 8 days at the back end that's gonna suck being without him. But it's really just the volume of games; I think the Stars and Bruins are the two most difficult opponents. We also have a dose of Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Sabres and I think the......Sharks(?) during that span.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Here's Staples, as amended with the LTIR new, in the Athletic:

So I don't know, sounds like a sprain to me and he's back in the 10 game/24 day timespan with the LTIR more for roster flexibility than anything.

Seems like a bit unfair that he might miss significantly more time due to the cap.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Seems like a bit unfair that he might miss significantly more time due to the cap.
It's a matter of convenience. Drury is looking at the schedule, considering the injury and believes the team would have the best chance to win the plurality of matches with the cap flexibility as opposed to just having Fox sit out and playing somewhat shorthanded

If this were February I don't think the answer would be the same. The Rangers would not otherwise be in any great rush to see what the Mac Hollowells of the world can do.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Who's gonna replace him on PP1? Gustafsson?

Whoever it'll be, I'll need to add him on my fantasy team
Hear me out, some teams like to put their #1 overall pick on PP1 at some point in their career.

Move Panarin to the point, put Laf on the wall. No defenseman on the roster is replacing Fox at the point adequately. Unless they give Jones a look.

Reactions: mas0764

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Those days are over my friend. Aho would be in a dentist chair right now pre 2005.
Trouba challenged Aho. He refused.

See you on January 2.

———————————————————-

The scary part of the hit is straight on knee hit. I’ve seen that kind of hit before and it’s generally not good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Fox is getting a second opinion right now.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Trouba challenged Aho. He refused.

See you on January 2.

———————————————————-

The scary part of the hit is straight on knee hit. I’ve seen that kind of hit before and it’s generally not good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Fox is getting a second opinion right now.
Aho was never going to accept a challenge from trouba. The whole thing trouba said Is ridiculous, he should have ripped his head off in the corners or in front of the net. I get it was a one goal game and they wanted the two points, but your best player just left the game from a knee on knee play when he didn’t have the puck and fox was adimit it was done on purpose.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This would’ve been a great time to give Ty Emberson a look. Oh well

The thought had crossed my mind as well, but his upside was always 3rd pair at best. San Jose is a joke this year, so I wouldn't take it as a sign that he's playing games.

There aren't many good options besides overplaying Gustafsson and hoping he rises above his station, which is what we were banking on when we signed him. Hope he is up to it.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Aho was never going to accept a challenge from trouba. The whole thing trouba said Is ridiculous, he should have ripped his head off in the corners or in front of the net. I get it was a one goal game and they wanted the two points, but your best player just left the game from a knee on knee play when he didn’t have the puck and fox was adimit it was done on purpose.
I would not have made acceptance optional .

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The thought had crossed my mind as well, but his upside was always 3rd pair at best. San Jose is a joke this year, so I wouldn't take it as a sign that he's playing games.

There aren't many good options besides overplaying Gustafsson and hoping he rises above his station, which is what we were banking on when we signed him. Hope he is up to it.

He did it last year when Carlson got hurt in Washington and crushed the assignment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad