Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal hasn’t actually been all that bad since the all star break.

Hes been horrendous.

Plays most of his minutes paired with DeAngelo but has still posted a negative xGF% since the ASB (Meanwhile, DeAngelo is heavily in the green there.) When games are tied or within a goal in either direction, hes the only defenseman who is in the red in xGF% since the ASB (Not counting Smith, since hes played 3 games there, but every other D is over 50%.)

Make no mistake about it, he is being carried by DeAngelo, who goes from being a good player when paired with Staal to excellent when away from him.

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Hes been horrendous.

Plays most of his minutes paired with DeAngelo but has still posted a negative xGF% since the ASB (Meanwhile, DeAngelo is heavily in the green there.) When games are tied or within a goal in either direction, hes the only defenseman who is in the red in xGF% since the ASB (Not counting Smith, since hes played 3 games there, but every other D is over 50%.)

Make no mistake about it, he is being carried by DeAngelo, who goes from being a good player when paired with Staal to excellent when away from him.
More hogwash. Go Away Staal.

" Since returning to the lineup Dec. 6 following ankle surgery, Staal has been on the ice for 16 goals against in 456:40 of five-on-five hockey. Only nine defensemen in the NHL have played at least 450 minutes of five-on-five in that time frame and have been on for fewer goals against than the 33-year-old" (naturalstattrick.com).

He's been playing well, and winning battles.

I'll give you that Staal didn't look good looking up at the sky for help on that Pageau goal though. He was responsible for him.

Last edited:

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Fox is the number one overall pick we've been dreaming of for years and it's a credit to Gorton for getting this deal done. At 22, in arguably the toughest position on the ice, he is dominating at times, very consistent most of the times, and poor only for a period or 2 (before recovering) at times. Instead of being great for October and then fading in the second half of the season, he is playing better as the pressure builds for the PO chase. This is what a superstar in his first year looks like.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
lnkbv.jpg

You could see early on in the season that he had something special about him, but wow has he blown all expectations out of the water. I expected him to be a solid, offensive defenseman in a couple of years. Not that he would have the ability to dominate games THIS season, at crunch time.

He's the NYR's most secret weapon, but not for much longer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah I remember the deal, it seemed like maybe we paid a little too much for a guy we might have been able to have for free in a couple more months, but he has been astonishingly good. The price we paid was well worth getting him in here this year, as you figure he'll only be better with experience. Credit to Gorton for pulling the trigger and getting it done when he did.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah I remember the deal, it seemed like maybe we paid a little too much for a guy we might have been able to have for free in a couple more months, but he has been astonishingly good. The price we paid was well worth getting him in here this year, as you figure he'll only be better with experience. Credit to Gorton for pulling the trigger and getting it done when he did.

The way I looked at the deal at the time was that it was essentially adding a 2nd round pick to the original 2nd to move up into the late first round. Fox was likely going to be better than a lot of the players available in the late 1st round last year. You got a high end RHD basically at the end of last year's 1st round.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I like that he had an absolutely horrific start to the game but then took over the last 20. Young guys usually let shit like that fester and boil over.

Makar and Quinn are great players, but neither of them are as well rounded or control the flow of play like Fox does. He's been God Tier for almost 3 months.

Reactions: McSauer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The way I looked at the deal at the time was that it was essentially adding a 2nd round pick to the original 2nd to move up into the late first round. Fox was likely going to be better than a lot of the players available in the late 1st round last year. You got a high end RHD basically at the end of last year's 1st round.

I didn't understand the concern at the time, and I especially don't get it now.

Based on his post-draft years, Adam Fox was the equivalent of a first round pick. Likewise, if he'd been able to re-enter the draft, he would've been a first round pick.

The Rangers traded two second round picks for a first --- a move that the majority of this board would make without knowing the post-draft trajectory of the player we took.

The Rangers essentially made that trade, and landed a prospect who already established a post-draft trajectory. In essence, they had 3 first round picks in 2020 and used one of them to acquire Trouba, and the other to take an "over-age" player.

Reactions: McSauer

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He also throws a big hit every few games when the stars align properly. Once he's stronger and even more acclimated to the NHL pace (scary thought) he's going to completely take over games on both sides of the rink.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For one reason or another, I had to watch the game on Habs tv. Not sure if this was discussed on MSG at all but his deliver to the net is almost always with his wrist shot. He almost never winds up and blasts. Which is fine, as a quick wrister is a great way to get the puck on net.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
For one reason or another, I had to watch the game on Habs tv. Not sure if this was discussed on MSG at all but his deliver to the net is almost always with his wrist shot. He almost never winds up and blasts. Which is fine, as a quick wrister is a great way to get the puck on net.

And yet it creates more chances than Trouba's big wind-ups. It's all about placement and timing it with traffic heading to the net. Fox is extremely good at reading the play before he shoots. Kid is just a stud.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And yet it creates more chances than Trouba's big wind-ups. It's all about placement and timing it with traffic heading to the net. Fox is extremely good at reading the play before he shoots. Kid is just a stud.
I didn't bring it up in a negative context. Just found it to be an interesting statistic.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I feel like TDA is the same way. He had that perfectly placed changeup slapper that fluttered in when he scored the hat trick earlier this year, but aside from that he mostly changes the angle to find a seam to wrist the puck through. Last night this resulted in Strome's deflection I think as well. With traffic in front velocity really isn't that important. Without traffic it can be helpful to generate juicier rebounds using the slapper.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feel like TDA is the same way. He had that perfectly placed changeup slapper that fluttered in when he scored the hat trick earlier this year, but aside from that he mostly changes the angle to find a seam to wrist the puck through. Last night this resulted in Strome's deflection I think as well. With traffic in front velocity really isn't that important. Without traffic it can be helpful to generate juicier rebounds using the slapper.
DeAngelo does have a good slapshot though and is not afraid to use it. It is actually absurd at the the percentage when Fox uses the wrister. I have long been a proponent that if you place bodies in front of the net, one need not have that booming slapshot for a point shot to be effective.

Reactions: romba

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yes there are very few players in the NHL who are legitimate threats to score from the blueline with a slapshot. If you're not one of them it's nto really worth blasting away all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad