Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tony has a good shot and enters the zone well, which is exactly what the second power play needs. Whereas Fox's more cerebral bird's-eye-view approach to the power play is better suited to playing with forwards like Panarin and Zibanejad... and seems somewhat wasted on PP2, with players more likely to bat in rebounds than snipe top-corner shots. He just needs to be more mobile when manning the point, but I noticed last night he's improving on that. In a nutshell, I too prefer Fox on PP1.
Good points. Also Fox plays the safer game. With Panarin and Mika, it’s like, just be smart and get them the puck. ADA can be a one-man-show on pp2. As you say.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Anyone else feel there's a definite correlation between the increased ice-time for Fox/Lindgren and the overall team's improvement in play?
I'm sure it has, but the team started playing better around the beginning of December when there were some there changes. Hajek went down, Staal came back, Kakko/Smith/Howden/Staal/Haley started getting less icetime, Buchnevich started getting more icetime, DeAngelo started getting more PP time, Georgiev [I think] started playing more, Chytil became the official #3C.

Sucks they dug themselves such a hole, because they would have made the playoffs otherwise.

upload_2020-2-17_3-56-41.png

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Watching Fox play is a total masterclass in body positioning, stick positioning, efficiency and hockey IQ. His game is just so smart and so efficient.

He's undersized, not particularly strong, not that fast of a skater, etc. Yet somehow he's absolutely terrific defensively. Just shows how important hockey IQ is.

And I'm not even talking about the offensive size of his game which is amazing as well. This kid is already better and more complete than I pictured him ever being, let alone this soon.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Fox's defense with his stick is what people spent years trying to say Staal's was. I think most people have a clear picture of the difference at this point.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Fox has been tremendous. I must admit I thought he was purely a offensive damn but I admit when I am wrong
I never doubted he can play D. The Hobey Baker finalist must have had some skill to play defense.

But I too am amazed how well he has played in his own zone. It is far more a surprise than any of his offensive skills. He's better than Leetch, McDonagh, or any previous Rangers blueliner in defending. He's another who should be on the PK along with Panarin. These guys are just too good defensively not to use them.

Reactions: HF_Rangers

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...He's another who should be on the PK along with Panarin. These guys are just too good defensively not to use them.

i am so fine w 10 and 23 not on the PK, and instead, like Kreider, being the next guys on, after the kill
plenty of guys being effective on the PK,

i am fine with these skill guys avoiding those hard minutes and maximizing their opportunities at the O(ther) end

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Fox's defense with his stick is what people spent years trying to say Staal's was. I think most people have a clear picture of the difference at this point.

I mean...Staal hasn't been what he used to be since his major concussions and then nearly losing an eye

I'm not gonna pump his tires all that much but he was quite a bit better in his prime before those injuries.

Reactions: shello

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Staal is about as effective as a watery turd on skates right now. Prime Staal had an excellent stick, easily the strongest part of his game.

Rookie Fox is better than any iteration of Staal was though.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Staal is about as effective as a watery turd on skates right now. Prime Staal had an excellent stick, easily the strongest part of his game.

The Marc Staal poke check was legit. Back when he had two eyes, he was breaking up plays at the blue line on a per-shift basis...and Fox is replicating that. Perfect comparison.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Staal hasn’t actually been all that bad since the all star break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad