Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The Vesey hype was mostly because of all the celebrities stepping in to convince him to sign with us. Regular fans thought he must have been some sort of star, similar to Messier if Liam Neeson and Susan Sarandon get involved.
That’s definitely part of it, but lots of teams and hockey media also bought into all of it in a decently big way, from scouts saying he was a lock for 20 goals to Nashville not doing anything at the deadline and promising him a roster spot to Buffalo trading for his rights so he can play with Eichel, etc

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That’s definitely part of it, but lots of teams and hockey media also bought into all of it in a decently big way, from scouts saying he was a lock for 20 goals to Nashville not doing anything at the deadline and promising him a roster spot to Buffalo trading for his rights so he can play with Eichel, etc

By the way: Refusing to sign with Buffalo, only to be traded to Buffalo is hockey karma haha

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
By the way: Refusing to sign with Buffalo, only to be traded to Buffalo is hockey karma haha
Kinda reminds me of AK’s fate...

ales-kotalik-of-the-new-york-rangers-warms-up-before-the-game-against-picture-id91307031

ales-kotalik-of-the-calgary-flames-skates-against-the-edmonton-oilers-picture-id105465900

Crazy how Kotalik signs here, then accepted a trade to a team on his limited NTC 1/2 through the first year of his contract here.

I honestly believe Sather beat him with an old wooden stick until he approved of the trade.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Take that HF is not ready for

Hughes and Fox should be the serious calder nominees with Makar a distant third.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kinda reminds me of AK’s fate...

Crazy how Kotalik signs here, then accepted a trade to a team on his limited NTC 1/2 through the first year of his contract here.

I honestly believe Sather beat him with an old wooden stick until he approved of the trade.
You're even underselling it. Kotalik could block a trade to 3 teams. He agreed to waive for what was apparently a bottom-3 destination for him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
since 1.1.2020, Ryan Lindgren-Adam Fox is the 4th best defensive pairing in hockey by S/V Adjusted CF% and xGF%. Minimum TOI 250 minutes. Amazing pairing and performance by both of them and their pairing is one of the only reasons we have a snowballs chance of the playoffs

related, Skjei-Trouba is the worst pairing in hockey in CF% and 8th worst in xGF% in the same stretch.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
since 1.1.2020, Ryan Lindgren-Adam Fox is the 4th best defensive pairing in hockey by S/V Adjusted CF% and xGF%. Minimum TOI 250 minutes. Amazing pairing and performance by both of them and their pairing is one of the only reasons we have a snowballs chance of the playoffs

related, Skjei-Trouba is the worst pairing in hockey in CF% and 8th worst in xGF% in the same stretch.

Eye test certainly supports that.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Take that HF is not ready for

Hughes and Fox should be the serious calder nominees with Makar a distant third.
HFNYR may be ready for this but God have mercy on your soul if you posted this on the main boards. :laugh:

I'm curious why you say that about Makar? He has all the same cushy advantages as Hughes.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Adam Fox is our Duncan Keith.

I can see it, although he's got a ways to go to reach his peak dominance. Surprisingly Keith only had 45 points or more in 5 out of his 15 seasons in the NHL. I can't see Fox failing to reach 40 points in any season but stranger things have happened

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
HFNYR may be ready for this but God have mercy on your soul if you posted this on the main boards. :laugh:

I'm curious why you say that about Makar? He has all the same cushy advantages as Hughes.

Makar has 3 less points in 11 less games. He has a much better +/-, for whatever that is worth. He has more points at even strength (31-28). Hughes plays 51 seconds more per game at even strength and 52 seconds more per game overall. Neither is a regular on the PK.

I think it will be close, but I'd give it to Makar. Of course, I'm biased since I bet on him to win the Calder. With my luck, Blackwood or Kubalik will win. If Fox wins, then that's worth losing my bet.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Makar has 3 less points in 11 less games. He has a much better +/-, for whatever that is worth. He has more points at even strength (31-28). Hughes plays 51 seconds more per game at even strength and 52 seconds more per game overall. Neither is a regular on the PK.

I think it will be close, but I'd give it to Makar. Of course, I'm biased since I bet on him to win the Calder. With my luck, Blackwood or Kubalik will win. If Fox wins, then that's worth losing my bet.
That’s why I’d pick him over Hughes too. I was wondering why Raspewtin felt differently. Maybe Makar’s defense, shot share, etc.

I do think players are going to catch on to Makar next year. He goes for this same slick skating move all the time. Eventually players aren’t gonna buy it anymore.
1HCCL

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Stealing this from the mainboards cause it's pretty great

OK before this thread gets closed just one last case to be made for Fox over Provorov.

Here's a visualization that compares them. It uses xWAR, which is a stat that measures how many wins a player is expected to provide over a season compared to a replacement-level player, and accounts for teammates, competition, etc. It has no relation to goaltending (uses expected goals instead of goals against).

Adam Fox had a truly remarkable season this year. He was significantly better offensively, one of the best defensive defencemen in the league, and productive as well. And keep in mind that these stats aren't rates, they're totals, so Fox did far more in 19 minutes a night than Provorov did in that plus six extra minutes. The only case for Provorov over Fox is ice time. That's it.

9HTOgxt.png

tK7tnT7.png

One last thing, since people are grousing about Quality of Competition.

Provorov's most frequent linemates:
  1. Matt Niskanen
  2. Sean Couturier
  3. Claude Giroux
  4. Travis Konecny
  5. James van Riemsdyk
Fox's most frequent linemates:
  1. Ryan Lindgren
  2. Artemi Panarin
  3. Jesper Fast
  4. Pavel Buchnevich
  5. Ryan Strome
I would be very curious whether Flyers fans would prefer to have the second group of players than the first?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Makar is a significantly worse defender at ES than both Hughes and Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->