Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm gonna chime in on Kuz & Bura.

Yes, they're young and probably less reliable than other vets.
But I have a hard time imagining Caps going far with them (especially both) sitting.
Just not enough skill without them.
Who is going to score?.

Kuz has one goal in the last 19 games. in the last 10 he has zero goals. hell he has just 1 assist in the last 10 games.

Bura is a little better with 2 in his last 8 since getting back in. Johansson has 4 in his last 11 with 3 at even strength.

I guess if the question is who is going to score at even strength other than Ovechkin who has 14 esg so far. Backstrom has 13 esg. Fehr has 12 esg. Johansson has 11 esg. Ward has 8 and Brouwer and Beagle have 6. that represents all four lines. Isn't that the definition of scoring balance?

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Kuz has one goal in the last 19 games. in the last 10 he has zero goals. hell he has just 1 assist in the last 10 games.

Bura is a little better with 2 in his last 8 since getting back in. Johansson has 4 in his last 11 with 3 at even strength.

I guess if the question is who is going to score at even strength other than Ovechkin who has 14 esg so far. Backstrom has 13 esg. Fehr has 12 esg. Johansson has 11 esg. Ward has 8 and Brouwer and Beagle have 6. that represents all four lines. Isn't that the definition of scoring balance?

Whew. Thanks for those numbers.

I knew Kuzy has been struggling and the the love for him is too blind. He will get better but he's not playoff material right now

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Considering how bold he was the first day of free agency...I think we see some moves by the deadline from BMac. I'm intrigued by what he has in mind, especially with Trotz chiming in that they need more.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Erskine and Orlov both being injured gives them around $4M in flexibility without moving anyone.

I stand corrected. Good to know.

I'm gonna chime in on Kuz & Bura.

Yes, they're young and probably less reliable than other vets.
But I have a hard time imagining Caps going far with them (especially both) sitting.
Just not enough skill without them.
Who is going to score?
Ovi-Backstrom-some plug? We've seen how they can struggle 5-on-5.
Mojo-Vermette-Brouwer? I'll believe it when i see it.
Fehr-Ward line? Their extra hustle is gonna be tested in playoffs when EVERYBODY hustles.

These Caps are just not a championship-level grind team, no matter how much improved under Trotz.

I see the Caps' only chance of doing damage in playoffs in being able to amalgamate the skill with the grind. Yeah, it's a lot to ask of Kuz & Bura. But I just don't see the Caps going deep with a grind-fest. This way at least the young players will get playoff experience.

I only see them making a deep run if Holtby goes into Conn Smythe mode.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Outstanding play from Laich? Really? He' been average at best, his quotes are outstanding. Anyone can play with that line as we've seen in the past. Why would it be beyond anyone to ship an under-performing player making $4.5M with term.

If they can ship Chimera in a package for a guy like Vermette, I'd be 100% down. I didn't know they didn't need to shift salary for someone like Vermette, pretty sure we're hamstrung in cap space.

"average at best" is complete ********. It's pretty easy to tell when someone has no case against a player when they use the old standby and point to his quotes. He's not under-performing.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Kuz had probably one of his best games against the Avalanche and here's why, 1. The Av's have no defense so he had time and space to move/roam (sounds somewhat familiar to one of his linemates MO for success); 2. He had extra motivation in that game against the Avs as his best friend Varly was in goal and he wanted to score on him.

The 2nd line is not suited for the playoffs, as you have two players that are better suited for European hockey where the ice is larger and it allows for more space and time. Come the playoffs, the game becomes more physical, tighter defensively and you have less space and time.

With Trotz's comments, have to think he knows exactly what players he's interested in, players that play a "heavy" game as he's fond of saying. Players that are responsible at both ends of the ice. I'm sure he's let BMAC know what he wants. Reading some of the proposals on the main boards, ugh.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Whew. Thanks for those numbers.

I knew Kuzy has been struggling and the the love for him is too blind. He will get better but he's not playoff material right now

2 things.

Kuz will be rested because of his low TOI. His skating should be a weapon.

He played in KHL playoff finals, that's not like he doesn't have a chance to produce (in NHL). We will see.

He's MP of today. First injury fill in in top-6 probably. That has some value.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
"average at best" is complete ********. It's pretty easy to tell when someone has no case against a player when they use the old standby and point to his quotes. He's not under-performing.

Here's his case. He has 11 points in 30 games(~30 point pace), has struggled to stay healthy, he's also the 3rd highest paid forward on the team. He was signed to provide around 20 goals and 50 points and hasn't been close to that. How in the world has he not under-performed?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Because points aren't the only thing that are important, especially given the role he's deployed in. If he were getting top-6 and PP time, points might matter. He's not, so they really don't. I guarantee you Barry Trotz wouldn't consider him to be under-performing.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Because points aren't the only thing that are important, especially given the role he's deployed in. If he were getting top-6 and PP time, points might matter. He's not, so they really don't. I guarantee you Barry Trotz wouldn't consider him to be under-performing.

I'm not comfortable with a 30 points, $4.5M 3rd liner. No guarantee he'd produce say he was given Brouwer's role. It's not like he's a great defensive C or a great PKer either, just a jack of all trades but master of none, with waning offensive ability and health concerns.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Chicago had no problem giving $4M to a 30 point 3rd liner that offers less versatility than Laich.

And I'm sure your comfort is among the top concerns of the Caps. Weren't you one of the leaders of the 'trade Ovechkin' movement when he was having a down year?

I swear, it's like people on here don't want the Caps to win unless they win in the most Cap-efficient manner.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

In what sense is he not under performing? The guy has been invisible as of late. He's paid handsomely for his offensive skills, so lets see him score. Eric Fehr is playing like the way I thought Laich would play, and the guy gets a quarter of his money.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I swear, it's like people on here don't want the Caps to win unless they win in the most Cap-efficient manner.
:laugh:...along with Ovie scoring 70 goals.

Ain't that the truth though. I was someone hoping with Capgeek dying...people would forget the cap aspect when it comes to production and cost. Nope.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Here's my take on Laich: stay healthy, don't suck.

I'd like to see a healthy Brooks Laich in the playoffs. He's a Trotz kind of player and he's shown enough of what he CAN do that he's not getting moved unless there's a blockbuster deal.

So if he's not putting up points but is a decent part of a good line, and he stays healthy doing it, I don't think I can complain about it. Yet. If the Caps miss the playoffs for some reason or his production stays low in the postseason, then my skepticism will rise.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Chicago had no problem giving $4M to a 30 point 3rd liner that offers less versatility than Laich.
Chicago also has a lot of other key pieces locked up that the Capitals do not and cheap depth fits up front. Just because Chicago does it, and does it for a guy that's done way more come playoff time recently, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Laich is overpaid. Brouwer is more overpaid. Ward is probably overpaid at this point. Orpik is certainly overpaid. Niskanen is overpaid. Green is overpaid. Chimera is overpaid for what he's brought this season. All of it adds up, particularly since from a mix standpoint overall it doesn't really fit together well enough.

There's no easy answer at the deadline. If MacLellan really wants to try to fix the mix up front to give them better Cup chances there's going to have to be a series of moves and that's pretty hard to pull off. The off-season is more likely the time to make drastic changes if required. My expectation in-season is more subtle (one drop, one add at most) unless their play falls off quite a bit.

Edit: The dynamic changes quite a bit if Kuznetsov, Burakovsky & Wilson are all playing at a consistent high level. Even just the first two would be big. Without that it's a very average lineup.

Last edited:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

And I'm sure your comfort is among the top concerns of the Caps. Weren't you one of the leaders of the 'trade Ovechkin' movement when he was having a down year?

Bickell was paid more for his 20 goals in 57 playoff games and being a great 3rd line W. Laich's "versatility" is overrated if he doesn't credibly play well in both roles. I know your going to argue he is a decent center but he hardly is.

No **** my comfort isn't among the Caps top concerns, otherwise they wouldn't have traded Forsberg. I admit I was and do you remember those years? He played uninspired hockey that got your revered Boudreau fired. Anyone in their right mind would of considered it and there were MANY that did here.

Or people want to allocate cap space to better the team...

Last edited by a moderator:

OVs Gold Chain*

Laich's CarFax would scare even the dumbest of GM's away from making an offer worth taking. May as well forget about that pipe dream. He's a decent PK'er and I would guess a good presence to have the in the room. If we were in fire sale mode it would be a great time to move him for the peanuts we'd be offered, but we're not.

The only "big" move I see the Caps making is Green. If you're willing to part with him, it'll happen at this year's deadline. He's played so much PP time and has such great passing chemistry esepcially setting up Ovechkin, I'm not sure Trotz would be willing to give him up. Our PP is gonna have to keep clicking to make any noise in the playoffs.

I think Carlson and Niskanen would fill the PP QB role well eventually, but tough call on tinkering with the chemistry on a team that seems to be getting its head on straight.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Capitals Assets that might interest sellers at the TDL:

- Capitals 2015 draft picks:
- they have their own picks, round 1 through 6 but traded round 7 to Winnipeg last
year
- they have Buffalo's 3rd round pick, which might be #61 in the draft
- they have Arizona's 4th round pick, which might be #124 in the draft

- Capitals Prospects
- Vrana (European winger, I think we may already have a few of those)
- Galiev (having a decent year at Hershey)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
In what sense is he not under performing? The guy has been invisible as of late. He's paid handsomely for his offensive skills, so lets see him score. Eric Fehr is playing like the way I thought Laich would play, and the guy gets a quarter of his money.

In the sense of actually watching how he plays during the games? Of how he's playing in his deployed role?

Do you really think Fehr would be playing the way he's playing without Laich and Ward? I don't.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Laich's CarFax would scare even the dumbest of GM's away from making an offer worth taking. May as well forget about that pipe dream. He's a decent PK'er and I would guess a good presence to have the in the room. If we were in fire sale mode it would be a great time to move him for the peanuts we'd be offered, but we're not.

The only "big" move I see the Caps making is Green. If you're willing to part with him, it'll happen at this year's deadline. He's played so much PP time and has such great passing chemistry esepcially setting up Ovechkin, I'm not sure Trotz would be willing to give him up. Our PP is gonna have to keep clicking to make any noise in the playoffs.

I think Carlson and Niskanen would fill the PP QB role well eventually, but tough call on tinkering with the chemistry on a team that seems to be getting its head on straight.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think there'd be GMs lined up to nab Brooks Laich if made available.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm a Laich fan. Since his return in November, the Caps have played 25 games with him in the line up, winning 16 of those games and earning a total 36 points out of a possible 50.

I would say throughout all of this the third line of Laich/Fehr/Ward has been the most consistent of out lines and probably the hardest line for an opponent to play against. Laich just made that line better then it was with Chimera.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Last year Chimera , Ward line didn't have a regular center for most of the season and still did better offensively then with Liach on the line. Ward and Chimera with record seasons.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Considering how bold he was the first day of free agency...I think we see some moves by the deadline from BMac. I'm intrigued by what he has in mind, especially with Trotz chiming in that they need more.

trotz is calling the shots. I am certain. BMac works for Trotz. So Trotz making these comments say something.

I would not be surprised to see Bura and Kuz swap roles in the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad