Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
If anything he should be talking about the 4th line. He loves rolling 4 lines even when down by multiple goals and the 4th line can barely muster shot attempts.

Halpysback*

Santorelli should be a cap by the deadline, whether or not they make any other moves. He's reinvented himself as Jay Beagle with 2nd line/elite 3rd line skill. He had his breakout season under Tortorella's Canucks, which was probably the most death campy of all Tortorella teams. The amount of versatility he'd provide for us would make Brooks Laich wet his pants.

Non-greenhorn skilled/gritty top line RW - Ovechkin Backstrom Santorelli

3rd line shutdown C - Laich/Chimera - Santorelli - Ward - frees up Fehr to play top line RW which in the playoffs may be very useful

2nd line defensive anchor/better sniper than Brouwer - Johansson-Santa-Kuz/Johansson-Kuz-Santa/Johansson-Santa-Brouwer - that's 3 line combos each of which could work differently

Lastly, Chimera - Santa- Beagle energy line.

Now he's not a world beater but so much roster versatility could lead to a high chemistry situation somewhere and elevate the hell out of the team.

Best part is he's cheap salarywise and could prob be had for Barber/2nd and a 3rd/4th. It's the kind of pickup that flies under the radar but eventually could end up being ridiculously useful.

Now DDOS Grape Ape's phone lines hfcaps!!!

Halpysback*

Also in addition to Santorelli I want Doan but that would require salary tinkering/phoenix retaining and would probably cost too much

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
if he continues to grow, I would agree with that. those comments back that up. time will tell. I guess I don't see a 2c coming in and Trotz moving Kuz to a slot taken currently by a north American style player.

So now Bura, showing Nylander-like circles regularly, is NA style player?!

As I've already mentioned in length before the season, both Bura and Kuz never played 80+ games season, especially in the NHL. That's tough.

Maybe they can play in shifts :) 1 game Bura, 1 game Kuz :)

But anyway they're bound to turn the puck over and not help much in retrieving it back. That's not good for playoffs.

Chimera could be more productive 1RW in playoffs I guess.

I mean, you shift Mojo, Laich, Chimmer or Wilson to 1RW and let Latta play. 1 more rental and both youngsters are in pressbox, and I'm OK with it.

Wilson should be fully capable of hitting everything in sight even as 4RW. Also he gets PPs often. That's not a small thing.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Johansson (could Mojo be worse 1RW than Burakuz? doubtfully)

this is almost PP setup :) Johansson is on the right wall squeezing between it and defender

Laich-Fehr-Ward
Chimera-rental-Brouwer
Beagle/Latta/Wilson

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Even Johansson-Beagle-Brouwer should be capable of holding their own in ES

Then Fehr -> 1RW

Rental -> Laich and Ward line

Chimera-Latta-Wilson

Even from faceoffs standpoint its not that bad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
one word mistake changes everything. not north American style is how that should read.

its not clear that trotz wants one brouwer or Wilson or Ward line player on each line?

hasn't Fehr been on the first line and played so well he ended up scratched? I would just leave him where he is.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'd be willing to move Ward as part of a salary dump. I expect dissension.
Why would you expect dissension over moving a very good ES player that plays a 3-zone game, has no long-term salary commitment, and steps his game up in the playoffs?

Can't see any reason people wouldn't want that. :shakehead

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Why would you expect dissension about moving a very good ES player that plays a 3-zone game, has no long-term salary commitment, and steps his game up in the playoffs?

Can't see any reason people wouldn't want that. :shakehead

Because his salary can help off-set bringing in a guy like Vermette who would easily provide more to the team.

I'm pretty meh on Ward and if management doesn't intend to bring him back, then move him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Because his salary can help off-set bringing in a guy like Vermette who would easily provide more to the team.

I'm pretty meh on Ward and if management doesn't intend to bring him back, then move him.

It's an asinine idea. Like, completely, considering there are other players that offer less in the playoffs that could garner more value in a trade and off-set Vermette's salary impact (which is insignificant considering the LTIRing the Caps could do).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
one word mistake changes everything. not north American style is how that should read.

its not clear that trotz wants one brouwer or Wilson or Ward line player on each line?
I would hope that this is not an Oates-like imperative. Burakovsky on the top line suggests it isn't, at least not always.

Trotz wants more reliable forwards that are capable of elevating their games. They need to be able to hold their own physically and be defensively responsible but beyond that I'm not sure there's a pure style requirement. They can't be soft but is Datsyuk soft? Whether it's Laich, Brouwer, Ward or Chimera or whoever else among the supporting cast I don't consider anyone safe. The young guys ought to be off limits but the rest? I don't think any of them are so special that they ought to be considered essential. None of them scream future playoff warrior...maybe Fehr if he gets hot. To me he's more valuable than the rest, at least offensively.

Chimera is the more likely salary dump, particularly since to a selling team he might have some value since he has a year left on his deal.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
It's an asinine idea. Like, completely, considering there are other players that offer less in the playoffs that could garner more value in a trade and off-set Vermette's salary impact (which is insignificant considering the LTIRing the Caps could do).

Laich would be #1 on my list, but NTC and "leadership" will likely keep him here.

I'd be down to trade Chimera, Brouwer, or Mojo, but you'll find people vehemently opposed. So it doesn't leave much.

Depends how it shakes out:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Burakovsky/Traded RW
Mojo-#2C-Brouwer/Kuz
Chimera-Fehr-Wilson

That top 9 would be more than capable.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Laich would be #1 on my list, but NTC and "leadership" will likely keep him here.

I'd be down to trade Chimera, Brouwer-type, or Mojo, but you'll find people vehemently opposed. So it doesn't leave much.

Depends how it shakes out:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Burakovsky/Traded RW
Mojo-#2C-Brouwer/Kuz
Chimera-Fehr-Wilson

That top 9 would be more than capable.
Is "leadership" your code for outstanding play and great chemistry with the team's best line? Why anyone would want to ship any player off from that line is beyond me. Ship out the $2.5M vet thats been relegated to the 4th line and press box at times this season, or one of the wingers on the least consistent line on the team.

And again, they don't need to shift salary for Vermette.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Is "leadership" your code for outstanding play and great chemistry with the team's best line? Why anyone would want to ship any player off from that line is beyond me. Ship out the $2.5M vet thats been relegated to the 4th line and press box at times this season, or one of the wingers on the least consistent line on the team.

And again, they don't need to shift salary for Vermette.

Outstanding play from Laich? Really? He' been average at best, his quotes are outstanding. Anyone can play with that line as we've seen in the past. Why would it be beyond anyone to ship an under-performing player making $4.5M with term.

If they can ship Chimera in a package for a guy like Vermette, I'd be 100% down. I didn't know they didn't need to shift salary for someone like Vermette, pretty sure we're hamstrung in cap space.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Erskine and Orlov both being injured gives them around $4M in flexibility without moving anyone.

By my calculations, we have just under 3.6M right now. So to add Vermette, we'd have to trade someone or send Bura or Latta down.

Edit: That's with Schimdt up instead of Oleksy, so you can add about another 100K. Still not quite enough room for Vermette though.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm gonna chime in on Kuz & Bura.

Yes, they're young and probably less reliable than other vets.
But I have a hard time imagining Caps going far with them (especially both) sitting.
Just not enough skill without them.
Who is going to score?
Ovi-Backstrom-some plug? We've seen how they can struggle 5-on-5.
Mojo-Vermette-Brouwer? I'll believe it when i see it.
Fehr-Ward line? Their extra hustle is gonna be tested in playoffs when EVERYBODY hustles.

These Caps are just not a championship-level grind team, no matter how much improved under Trotz.

I see the Caps' only chance of doing damage in playoffs in being able to amalgamate the skill with the grind. Yeah, it's a lot to ask of Kuz & Bura. But I just don't see the Caps going deep with a grind-fest. This way at least the young players will get playoff experience.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'm gonna chime in on Kuz & Bura.

Yes, they're young and probably less reliable than other vets.
But I have a hard time imagining Caps going far with them (especially both) sitting.
Just not enough skill without them.
Who is going to score?
Ovi-Backstrom-some plug? We've seen how they can struggle 5-on-5.
Mojo-Vermette-Brouwer? I'll believe it when i see it.
Fehr-Ward line? Their extra hustle is gonna be tested in playoffs when EVERYBODY hustles.

These Caps are just not a championship-level grind team, no matter how much improved under Trotz.

I see the Caps' only chance of doing damage in playoffs in being able to amalgamate the skill with the grind. Yeah, it's a lot to ask of Kuz & Bura. But I just don't see the Caps going deep with a grind-fest. This way at least the young players will get playoff experience.

Trotz didn't say anything about adding grinders.

Bura is definitely not playoff ready. Kuz perhaps more so but he's easily rag dolled and invisible on the boards... Exactly the type that vanishes in spring.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Sharks fan proposing a sell off in the rumours forum

clearly we are trying to improve to try to have a crack without crippling our future

to me Kuzy, Bura, Wilson, Bowey, Grubi are the main ingredients right now of our future ... i see Barber, Vrana and lesser prospects as nice to have, but expendable

if the Sharks lose a couple more games like today, perhaps they will make some moves ... i certainly don't see them going deep in the playoffs if they get there at all

Pavelski is 30 and would fit in age wise with our core and give us a few cracks at playoff success ... rather than just a rental for a crack this year ... i like that line of thinking rather than just a 1 year attempt

Pavelski for Vrana, 2015 1st, Mojo & Chimmer

I think the numbers almost work ... or its very close

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Really Mojo is the best fit for AO and NB from all our options. He got less minuses (deficiencies).

Fast, experienced enough, strong enough now, shooting more and know what to do (I hope). Zero cost of acquiring.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would hope that this is not an Oates-like imperative. Burakovsky on the top line suggests it isn't, at least not always..

my read is that Trotz wants balance. By its definition balance is the opposite of anything Oatesian. Right?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Pavelski is 30 already? Omg. Actually that is expensive and... You could end up with him as winger for 6M. But I would go for that future risk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad