Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think those comments about orlov/green pairing and liking our back end solidifies the thought that Green is going nowhere at the deadline.

I don't think he ever was. With the games missed he is 23rd in defense scoring. 13th in esp on defense and 10th in points per game on defense. I would not be shocked if he is extended.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I can't imagine McPhee saying with a straight face that he would do the Forberg deal over again. I think its more in his nature to wink and dodge the question. Jagr was on Ted which is why Ted is the only one that talks about it.

btw...does Forsberg REALLY have to be daily source of conversation here? I mean....I had a date with Katie Couric once. I don't think about that option on a daily basis.

MacLellan was asked about the trade and chose to comment. It's a very valid topic. Since it was during a press availability that we're already discussing in this thread, I see no reason not to let it stand here.

Unrelated:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
MacLellan was asked about the trade and chose to comment. It's a very valid topic. Since it was during a press availability that we're already discussing in this thread, I see no reason not to let it stand here.

this one is valid. its 75% of the rest of them that are unnecessary.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This team could be a juggernaut with Orlov/Green as the third pair and either a bonafide 1RW or 2C. Too bad Iginla's contract is terrible, I think he'd be a great fit with Ovie and Nick. He is nastier than I remember.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

“Theoretically,†MacLellan said, the Capitals would be identifying veteran replacements for Burakovsky and Kuznetsov’s spots, but hinged everything on their performance over the next month and indicated none of the current youngsters would be dangled as trade bait.

Interesting stuff in there, including mention of a couple "higher profile" players that are available either now or at the draft.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I mean it's fairly obvious what they need:

2C, rugged 6D, 1RW.

In that order.

Bura needs to be a fill in and perhaps Kuzy could play the 1RW now that he's shooting more.

I'm always in favor of moving Green if the opportunity presents itself.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Kuz has one goal in the last 19 games. in the last 10 he has zero goals. hell he has just 1 assist in the last 10 games.

Bura is a little better with 2 in his last 8 since getting back in. Johansson has 4 in his last 11 with 3 at even strength.

I guess if the question is who is going to score at even strength other than Ovechkin who has 14 esg so far. Backstrom has 13 esg. Fehr has 12 esg. Johansson has 11 esg. Ward has 8 and Brouwer and Beagle have 6. that represents all four lines. Isn't that the definition of scoring balance?

My point is precisely that I doubt these stats will hold up on a long playoff run. I don't see the Caps as having any significant chance with Ovi, Backstrom, 9 grinders and Mojo-the-newly-minted-sniper.

If Kuz and Bura cannot contribute, a run to the Finals is very unlikely. In which case they should play these guys so they can at least get experience, IMO.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
@walsha: Ruslan Fedotenko has signed a PTO with Iowa (AHL) with the intention of returning to the NHL soon. He's won 2 Stanley Cups, great character.

That guy was always a thorn in our side in the playoffs

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Matt Hendricks.

I think that is a pipe dream. Hendricks was a pretty darn productive college player who changed his game and worked his butt off to make the NHL. Mitchell never put up any kind of numbers even in juniors. I just don't think he has even marginal 4th liner NHL skills so he'd better be a very good skater and have an incredible motor, like Beagle, to have any chance IMO and my understanding is he doesn't have either of those.

I guess we will see though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just listened to the full presser.

BMac says at the end that the decisions will be based on whether the young guys are ready for the playoff level of competition. They don't want to put them in a position to fail and Pejorative Slur their growth. So either they are ready to go or they will attempt replace them for the playoffs. Is how I ready it.

It does not sound at all like the plan is to stand pat and let the kids go down in flames for the experience.

I saw no signs that they are going to trade Green. Green has apparently said repeatedly that he wants to stay and has been happy in his role. BMac says that makes negotiating easier and allows for earlier conversations.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My point is precisely that I doubt these stats will hold up on a long playoff run. I don't see the Caps as having any significant chance with Ovi, Backstrom, 9 grinders and Mojo-the-newly-minted-sniper.

If Kuz and Bura cannot contribute, a run to the Finals is very unlikely. In which case they should play these guys so they can at least get experience, IMO.

I don't agree with that. I am not a Fehr fan. Its documented. He does have a knack for big goals and his role with the team seems to have solidified. You expect that to evaporate come playoffs?

Ward has consistently raised his game come playoffs. He has an actual track record.
Johansson had a pretty big playoffs playing Hunterhockey.

Glass half full. 9 grinders and snarky slap at Johansson indicates you don't think much of the crew as whole. Frankly I would not be shocked for Beagle to have a 3 goal playoff series. You are half empty. Its how we roll I guess.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
B-Mac flat out admitted the Forsberg trade was a mistake, with that in mind do you think he is now gun shy about moving young guys? I mean I'm in the camp that would rather keep the young talent stocked. Would hate to mortgage the future for slim shot at the cup this season. I wouldn't move a guy like Vrana unless it was the type of deal you flat out can't pass. No more of this borderline vet who might produce/provide character.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I wish people could explain why they could dislike Fehr, but love Laich. Apparently Laich's value these days is tied to being on Fehr's line. Fehr produces more, is a better forechecker, costs much less, can slot higher up in the lineup if necessary. Fehr has shown he can play on the PK this year too. He's also played 65 more games than Laich over the past 3 seasons. His FO% is about 10 points higher. Laich's 40% is a big detriment in a PK role.

Is it nostalgia? Laich's mythical skills as a defenseman? His Holtby whisperer ability? I know Laich is loved by all and Fehr has been healthy scratched by numerous coaches, but the on-ice disparity is noticeable and growing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It does not sound at all like the plan is to stand pat and let the kids go down in flames for the experience.
Yet if they do well enough in the regular season that's exactly what I'd expect them to do. Maybe they add one cheap winger or something but that's probably about it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't agree with that. I am not a Fehr fan. Its documented. He does have a knack for big goals and his role with the team seems to have solidified. You expect that to evaporate come playoffs?

Ward has consistently raised his game come playoffs. He has an actual track record.
Johansson had a pretty big playoffs playing Hunterhockey.

Glass half full. 9 grinders and snarky slap at Johansson indicates you don't think much of the crew as whole. Frankly I would not be shocked for Beagle to have a 3 goal playoff series. You are half empty. Its how we roll I guess.

You are missing the point. I think Kuz and Bura should be on the ice in playoffs. If you doubt them, then it seems that you are the pessimist, lol.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I wish people could explain why they could dislike Fehr, but love Laich. Apparently Laich's value these days is tied to being on Fehr's line. Fehr produces more, is a better forechecker, costs much less, can slot higher up in the lineup if necessary. Fehr has shown he can play on the PK this year too. He's also played 65 more games than Laich over the past 3 seasons. His FO% is about 10 points higher. Laich's 40% is a big detriment in a PK role.

Is it nostalgia? Laich's mythical skills as a defenseman? His Holtby whisperer ability? I know Laich is loved by all and Fehr has been healthy scratched by numerous coaches, but the on-ice disparity is noticeable and growing.

So far we've only discovered that txpd is not a fan of Fehr, lol, I am not sure there's anybody (else) who dislikes what he's been doing.

As far as the cult of Laich, it's a mystery to me, too. On his best days he's a Fehr/Ward level player, only with 50% more salary and risky injury history. But when he does his dance, it seems to rain, so I guess the argument is that we must keep him forever to ensure plentiful harvest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad