Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXIII: UFA Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well if the Caps are in for Niskanen, (at least) one of a few things are happening:

1- They're trading Green.
2- They're trading Erskine or Orlov.
3- They're putting Mojo or Kuznetsov at 2C.
4- They're trading Laich or Brouwer.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
IMO you pay Orpik $5.5M he plays with Carlson. It runs the risk of wasting some of Carlson's offensive game but I've got think that's what they're going to want to try at least. Either that or his RD is not yet in the organization and Green is headed out.
Alzner - Green
Orpik - Carlson

Ok!

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Nope, not applicable. You can find a 2008 Civic or equivalent somewhere else. Again, a fungible commodity (especially one with and accepted value standard: KBB) doesn't apply to a pro sports free agent market.

It's an overpayment. If it solidifies the defense, it was worth it. If it doesn't, it wasn't. Simple as that.
I don't know a better way to put it.

Just because Orpik is an improvement over the recent dumpster fire of LD doesn't mean they should have overpaid for him. Fayne would have solidified the defense too. For less money, less term, and for a younger player whose play hasn't nose-dived in recent years.

Does anyone doubt Fayne would have signed the same deal as the one the Caps offered Orpik? More money, more years, and a more, or at the very least, equally appealing location.

The Caps should have taken note of what the Kings and Canadiens were able to do at the deadline. They didn't tie up their cap with overpaid and declining players, and they were able to add key pieces to their team that other contenders likely couldn't afford. Remember the Guerin situation the year the Pens won the Cup? The Caps were willing to pay more but couldn't fit him under the cap.

So, what's the best case scenario here? The Caps get an adequate 2LD for a year or two and then +3 years of bottom pairing play or worse? Guys like Orpik don't age gracefully.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I don't think you can use regular buy-out to a player that has NMC because he can decline to go to waivers? You could do that when CBO'ing someone but not with regular buy-out.

I could be wrong but if i'm not then this is absolute insanity from top to bottom.

Lol honestly I wasn't even thinking that much. I just ment no need to ask him to waive because another team isn't taking him on at that clip.

Didn't think we would ever be a team retaining salary in the Ovie era...

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Guys like Orpik don't age gracefully.
6769214.bin.jpeg

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I don't know a better way to put it.

Just because Orpik is an improvement over the recent dumpster fire of LD doesn't mean they should have overpaid for him. Fayne would have solidified the defense too. For less money, less term, and for a younger player whose play hasn't nose-dived in recent years.

Does anyone doubt Fayne would have signed the same deal as the one the Caps offered Orpik? More money, more years, and a more, or at the very least, equally appealing location.

The Caps should have taken note of what the Kings and Canadiens were able to do at the deadline. They didn't tie up their cap with overpaid and declining players, and they were able to add key pieces to their team that other contenders likely couldn't afford. Remember the Guerin situation the year the Pens won the Cup? The Caps were willing to pay more but couldn't fit him under the cap.

So, what's the best case scenario here? The Caps get an adequate 2LD for a year or two and then +3 years of bottom pairing play or worse? Guys like Orpik don't age gracefully.

Exactly. I would have given Fayne the same offer they gave Orpik. Still would have been overpayment but would have been for a better and younger defenseman.

Slappy

May 29, 2007
Dave America Lozo ‏@DaveLozo 6m
"Jesus, that Brooks Orpik contract is awful." -- David Clarkson

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lol honestly I wasn't even thinking that much. I just ment no need to ask him to waive because another team isn't taking him on at that clip.

Didn't think we would ever be a team retaining salary in the Ovie era...

Don't worry.

We can still trade him for Clarkson.

Burakovsky95*

Well if the Caps are in for Niskanen, (at least) one of a few things are happening:

1- They're trading Green.
2- They're trading Erskine or Orlov.
3- They're putting Mojo or Kuznetsov at 2C.
4- They're trading Laich or Brouwer.

I'll put $300 on 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA