Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halpysback*

France had the best war of aggression differential in Europe during the 20th century.

EucIfYY.gif

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't know how you didn't notice that, the North American hockey media was constantly gutting him for being a minus player with poor leadership qualities whose off-ice celebrity was a locker room distraction. Glenn Healy and Mike Milbury basically had staple "rip Phaneuf" segment during intermissions.

he was like green back in 2008-2010, and by that i don't mean there play style i mean how much there fellow defensemen sucked. and like green with terrible partners he was also given way more responsibilities than he should have ever got. my theory is if you take a guy like seabrook off chicago and make them a #1 defensemen on a **** **** team than off course people are gonna bash him, because he's not supposed to be a #1. doesn't mean he isn't good, he's just not shut down opponents top line with third pairing defensemen good, like phaneuf isn't.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Didn't Tootoo start with Trotz?

Cheap bottom 6 plug-in if they deal Laich/Brouwer.

Don't see why we need more bottom 6 wingers when we've already got Chimera, Ward, Fehr, Wilson, Brown, and Volpatti, plus probably one of Beagle or Latta depending on who ends up at 4C. Even if Wilson starts in Hershey and Volpatti is waived, there are still five guys for four spots.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Don't see why we need more bottom 6 wingers when we've already got Chimera, Ward, Fehr, Wilson, Brown, and Volpatti, plus probably one of Beagle or Latta depending on who ends up at 4C. Even if Wilson starts in Hershey and Volpatti is waived, there are still five guys for four spots.

Still feel like, unless he's up here for Top 6 time, Wilson is better served in the AHL full time. He's not gonna gain anything playing 7 minutes a night on the bottom line. So that's 4 for 4.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

I'm hoping they trade one or two of those guys for C/D help.

Meh on Tootoo. I just wondered about the connection.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Still feel like, unless he's up here for Top 6 time, Wilson is better served in the AHL full time. He's not gonna gain anything playing 7 minutes a night on the bottom line. So that's 4 for 4.

Five was with Wilson in Hershey. Beagle would be the odd man out. That's what I hope happens anyway, Brown-Latta-Fehr would be a great 4th line.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Brown-Latta-Fehr would be a great 4th line.

I would love that and called for it several times last year. That condescending ***hole Oates didn't care what I wanted though. I really like what I saw from Brown and Latta and I hope they let those two play next year over stiffs like Beagle and Volpatti. I could almost see Fehr playing on the 3rd if some forward(s) are moved for D help but ideally he's on the 4th...

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I would love that and called for it several times last year. That condescending ***hole Oates didn't care what I wanted though. I really like what I saw from Brown and Latta and I hope they let those two play next year over stiffs like Beagle and Volpatti. I could almost see Fehr playing on the 3rd if some forward(s) are moved for D help but ideally he's on the 4th...

I really hope we've seen the last Volpatti with the Caps. No reason for him to be in the lineup over Brown or Fehr. My ideal bottom six:

Chimera-Legwand-Ward
Brown-Latta-Fehr

That'd definitely be one of the best in the league. Not a lot of fighting potential, but I'd rather have a 4th line that can actually play hockey.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm fine with Volpatti as a 13/14th forward. Cheap, won't hurt to leave him on the bench, and it's not as if there are many forwards in Hershey already pushing for the NHL. And if one of Burakovsky/Stephenson/Herbert (or Wilson) does end up excelling in the AHL early on, they can always call them up when someone else is on IR anyway.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I'm fine with Volpatti as a 13/14th forward. Cheap, won't hurt to leave him on the bench, and it's not as if there are many forwards in Hershey already pushing for the NHL. And if one of Burakovsky/Stephenson/Herbert (or Wilson) does end up excelling in the AHL early on, they can always call them up when someone else is on IR anyway.

No doubt. It's been awhile since I could say I'm excited to watch the Bears play this year.

You guys can't be serious about offering Stralman what the market is going to have him demanding.

I'd rather give Stastny just a few million more guys.

Last edited:

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Eric Fehr ($1.500m) / Paul Stastny ($7.500m) / Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m)
Jason Chimera ($2.000m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Jay Beagle ($0.900m) / Michael Latta ($1.000m) / Tom Wilson ($0.894m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m) / Chris Brown ($0.853m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / Mike Green ($6.083m)
Jack Hillen ($0.700m) / Dmitry Orlov ($2.000m)
Patrick Wey ($0.640m) /
GOALTENDERS
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
Thomas Greiss ($2.000m)
BUYOUTS
Jeff Schultz ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,567,628; BONUSES: $2,631,667
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,532,372

Three effective additions: Stastny, Ehrhoff and Greiss. I think Fehr - Stastny - Kuznetsov would be a very effective second line giving a different look to our top-six with both forwards playing their off-wings.

Ehrhoff is acquired for Johansson and non-roster assets (either Burakovsky or a first I think), as well as a cap dump in Erskine.

We're paying through the nose for Stastny, but with cap rising and playoff performance, I think he's worth it.

There's room for tweaking on the third pairing as the spots of Hillen and Wey can be challenged by Schmidt, Kundratek, and Oleksy. Caps just need to go with the hot... stick?

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Three effective additions: Stastny, Ehrhoff and Greiss. I think Fehr - Stastny - Kuznetsov would be a very effective second line giving a different look to our top-six with both forwards playing their off-wings.

Ehrhoff is acquired for Johansson and non-roster assets (either Burakovsky or a first I think), as well as a cap dump in Erskine.

We're paying through the nose for Stastny, but with cap rising and playoff performance, I think he's worth it.

There's room for tweaking on the third pairing as the spots of Hillen and Wey can be challenged by Schmidt, Kundratek, and Oleksy. Caps just need to go with the hot... stick?

I don't like giving up Burakovsky for Ehrhoff. The top-4 defenseman the Caps need should be acquired using either Johansson or Brouwer as the centerpiece of the deal with picks and lesser prospects to round out the value. With where Buffalo is at as an organization I don't think they listen to any offers without a Burakovsky, Bowey, or Wilson included.

It comes down to whether you think we should be going for a new #1 or if the Caps should just look to acquire a better partner for Green. Personally I feel Alzner and Carlson deserve a shot at long term top pairing minutes together under a coach that can potentially bring more out of them then what we've seen from them.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I don't like giving up Burakovsky for Ehrhoff. The top-4 defenseman the Caps need should be acquired using either Johansson or Brouwer as the centerpiece of the deal with picks and lesser prospects to round out the value. With where Buffalo is at as an organization I don't think they listen to any offers without a Burakovsky, Bowey, or Wilson included.

It comes down to whether you think we should be going for a new #1 or if the Caps should just look to acquire a better partner for Green. Personally I feel Alzner and Carlson deserve a shot at long term top pairing minutes together under a coach that can potentially bring more out of them then what we've seen from them.

I think they'd listen to Johansson+1st.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
I think they'd listen to Johansson+1st.

Our 13th or in the 2015 draft?

Would still prefer to move Brouwer because it would result in more tangible benefits to the team. Brouwer and spare parts brings back someone like Gunnarsson or Gorges to skate as Green's partner, and it opens up space for Wilson to move into the top-9.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'd rather hit Ryan O'Reilly with an offer sheet for 7M and 6 years. I honestly don't think Stastny even makes it to free agency.

Yes, I'm OK with giving up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I clearly have a much higher opinion of the player than you do. And Backstrom is on a contract signed when the salary cap was under $60M (and was a good deal even at the time).

I don't get the logic of why you'd pay that price for a second line center in a shallow organization. Just give Statsny the $7M and keep the 4 picks, or trade some combination of them for defense.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Our 13th or in the 2015 draft?

Would still prefer to move Brouwer because it would result in more tangible benefits to the team. Brouwer and spare parts brings back someone like Gunnarsson or Gorges to skate as Green's partner, and it opens up space for Wilson to move into the top-9.
13th.

The plan you laid out would've been fine had Green's contract not been expiring a year from now. Ehrhoff would be a replacement ready if he leaves. Since there's no guarantee Green will be here long-term, I'd be vary of parting with significant assets acquiring a guy who is a one-way stay-at-home defenseman.

If there's no Green, I'd much, much rather have Ehrhoff - Orlov than Gunnarsson - Orlov.

What could be done though is moving Troy for a lower 1st and then shipping that lower first and 13th overall for Ehrhoff.

I tried to keep it simple though ;)

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I'd rather hit Ryan O'Reilly with an offer sheet for 7M and 6 years. I honestly don't think Stastny even makes it to free agency.

Yes, I'm OK with giving up two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

And I'd be totally okay with paying Colorado a 5th for negotiating rights.

As to ROR at that price tag, NO WAY. Smells like Erat-esque disaster. He's Ryan O'Reilly, not Sydney Crosby or even a younger Eric Staal. He doesn't have the offense to be a top-six center on the line with no superstars to help him out offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad