Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I've really grown on the idea of Ehrhoff. I don't think we've ever had a mobile two-way top four defenseman in the Ovechkin era, could work really well.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure why you would make that statement about Alzner and then not pencil Green in next to him. Doughty/Subban are better two-way d-men than Green but neither one of them has his pure offensive skill. If we can somehow get Ehrhoff and keep Green why not

Ehrhoff Carlson
Alzner Green
Orlov TBD

Is it just because of salary? I'd love to see how a hopefully healthy Green would do given the opportunity to play to his strengths again. As bad as Oates was across the board at using his players properly, probably none were as badly used as Mike Green.

Make that Brouwer for Gorges deal that everyone on HFBoards agreed was actually a very fair trade and...that's a legit NHL defense.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Totally agree on Brouwer but I don't know the specifics of his NTC. It's Wilson's time to supplant him.

Halpysback*

Gorges is pretty soft though, would be nice to have a crease clearer/punishing guy with Orlov who can slide up the lineup. Ehrhoff/Campbell-Carlson/Alzner-Green... that's not a physical D at all.

that 6th should be McQuaid, Volchenkov w/ salary retained, Matt Greene maybe.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Gorges is pretty soft though, would be nice to have a crease clearer/punishing guy with Orlov who can slide up the lineup. Ehrhoff/Campbell-Carlson/Alzner-Green... that's not a physical D at all.

that 6th should be McQuaid, Volchenkov w/ salary retained, Matt Greene maybe.

What about Emelin instead of Gorges? MTL fans seemed open to a Brouwer-for-Emelin trade as well.

Halpysback*

What about Emelin instead of Gorges? MTL fans seemed open to a Brouwer-for-Emelin trade as well.

I subscribe to the idea that Emelin is better that he showed these playoffs as he was coming back from injury and playing his off side, so I'd prefer that.

Emelin-Orlov would be one punishing duo.

Gorges is a good get assuming they do a minimum hassle fix, ie Gorges-Green/Alzner-Carlson which while a somewhat complete defense is still not an area of strength.

That said, I'd much rather try to wiggle Brouwer+Latta or something into Plekanec so we have Chimera-Plekanec-Ward to shut people down and draw tons of penalties, then get the bottom pairing toughness either via FA (Greene/Mitchell/whoever) or cheapie trade (McQuaid/Volchenkov-retained).

Ovechkin Backstrom ??? (ideally Kesler)
Chimera Plekanec Ward
Burakovsky Kuznetsov Wilson (kid line 2.0)

Alzner Carlson
Ehrhoff Stralman
Orlov Greene

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Gormley is the biggest clown covering the Caps for the D.C. media. The CSN Washington site nothing but pure click-bait and speculation. He's a hack as a journalist, and an awkward embarrassment whenever he's placed in front of a TV camera. (Seriously, all Caps fans cringe whenever he stutters his way through a TV segment.)

He has (seemingly) zero access to any substantial/insider Caps-related rumors or gossip, as all of his quotes and information come from PR conferences and press statements. And he's--never, not once--written an actual investigate article. So yeah, take anything he speculates on or guesses at as a joke. (And the fact that Eklund mentioned it as well, the day after Gormley did, doesn't help either.)

Trust me, in this case, where there's smoke, there's....the smoldering heap of dog turds that passes for Gormley's career as a journalist. And this is coming from someone who would LIKE for the Caps to pursue DP. On another thread, I proposed a Johansson + 1st + Laich (necessary salary dump, but for a serviceable NHL forward at least) for Phaneuf (no salary retained), and the general response I received was "that's worth considering."

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I call BS on "Kuz as #2C".

Weak, young and injury-prone russian winger as 2C for Trotz? That has to be a game of words with Grabo's agent.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
RE:Phaneuf.

13th and Mojo seems like a good deal from the Caps' perspective.

Trouble is, I'm far from sold on Kuznestov as the answer at #2 C. He was buttery soft last year as a wing. It's possible that was due to his shoulder injuries, but his game along the boards needs major work. Who knows? Maybe Trotz gets it out of him. His talent level is unquestionable.

But if he's not the answer, they should be looking at deals for C or throwing the bank at Stastny before the go for a Tier 2 defenseman.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm actually not interested in Kuzzy as 2C, either. Kid's got enough to learn about playing in the NHL as a top-six forward as it is. Don't force him to (re-) learn a position he hasn't played since juniors. Get him acclimated to the NHL as a right wing, where he's most comfortable.

I'm actually interested in what David Legwand is going to get as a UFA. Under Trotz (and in a defensive-minded system), he put up decent numbers as a first-line center on an offensively starved team. I'm actually really interested in what he could do as a second-line center (not playing against the top defensive pairing) playing under Trotz in a more offensively minded system with actual talent on his wings. Especially if at least one of his wingers will likely be a younger guy (like Kuznetsov or Wilson). He's not as exciting an option as Statsny or Spezza or Kesler, but I think he's a much more realistic and affordable one.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sign me up for MoJo and 13 for Dion all day long.

Kuz is not physically ready to be a 2C. At least not on a team who expects to win anything. Legwand would be a great short term option.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Once again, just do something...

If it's 90% + the same roster this is a failed offseason IMO unless Trotz is Jesus.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
If I'm Leonsis, I look hard at getting the Leafs to throw in Gleason for the purposes of buyout to maybe get Phaneuf cheaper.

i thought you could only buy out your own contracts, or was it contracts signed before the new agreement... if possible that would be a great idea, but im not sure if toronto is interested in giving up another defensemen.

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
If I'm Leonsis, I look hard at getting the Leafs to throw in Gleason for the purposes of buyout to maybe get Phaneuf cheaper.

There is no real urgency in getting rid of Gleason.

He was excellent for a bit before he fell apart at the end of the season. Then again, most of our guys fell apart.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Only makes sense if you're willing to stash Wilson in the AHL.
Or trades are made so that Wilson is playing more than a fourth-line role.

Kuz as 2C and wanting to play Wilson more are not the thoughts of a GM focused primarily on winning now. We'll see but that ultimate vision comes across as a bit conflicted. The organization needs to realize that young players shouldn't be given these sorts of key promotions just because they're well liked and highly valued. They should have to actually earn it and not by necessity's sake in clearing the decks for them but in actually building a strong, balanced lineup. You want to develop? Make decisions based on merit down the line.

Kuznetsov will face enough of a challenge with faceoffs alone. No way I see Trotz tolerating those growing pains. Let Kuznetsov focus on what he does best rather than immediately trying to ask too much of him. Once he has a higher confidence level down the line maybe center can be an option. For now if Laich doesn't break down he'd probably be the most likely internal option.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
i would do the dion trade and prolly give up more to get it done. Trade Mojo and try to keep Orlov bc our D is so weak. But if it came to Orlov being a deal breaker i would do it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Or trades are made so that Wilson is playing more than a fourth-line role.

Kuz as 2C and wanting to play Wilson more are not the thoughts of a GM focused primarily on winning now. We'll see but that ultimate vision comes across as a bit conflicted. The organization needs to realize that young players shouldn't be given these sorts of key promotions just because they're well liked and highly valued. They should have to actually earn it and not by necessity's sake in clearing the decks for them but in actually building a strong, balanced lineup. You want to develop? Make decisions based on merit down the line.

Kuznetsov will face enough of a challenge with faceoffs alone. No way I see Trotz tolerating those growing pains. Let Kuznetsov focus on what he does best rather than immediately trying to ask too much of him. Once he has a higher confidence level down the line maybe center can be an option. For now if Laich doesn't break down he'd probably be the most likely internal option.

If we head into next season with two players with a combined 6 NHL career goals penciled into the top six, we may as well already start rooting for McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad