Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
Spezza isn't going to want to be the 2C here, Caps should pass.

Did he actually specify what role he wants to be in? You'd think playing on the second line behind ovi the criticism magnet and captain while also making millions and getting away from other teams top defensive pairings would be pretty attractive especially since hes due up for a new contract soon.

Although I don't think he'll end up in Washington, it probably won't be because he's against playing 2c.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Haha awesome thread title Langway!

I've been a Spezza fan since the day he was drafted so I'm a little biased in acquiring him though I'm fully aware of the red flags. I'd love to have him here but he's is going to get seriously overpaid on his next contract and that's likely an instant no right there.

Speaking of which I kind of feel sorry for Ottawa fans. Looking back at the players they once had and to just let them all go has got to be very tough. Bobby Ryan would cost a lot but that's a player if he became available I think the Caps should be all over.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Spezza has 52 pts in 56 playoff games. Backstrom has 43 pts in 57 playoff games. Both are good players—not elite NHL players.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Wiz...I'm pretty sure the Nucks were rolling Hamhuis-Bieksa as the top pair in their finals run and also had Edler being the main reason Erhoff was let go. I could be wrong...that doesn't even seem long ago but sure enough.

Make no mistake I'd love to have him here and is likely the best available option as car as cost is concerned.

Brian Boyle is a player I'd like the Caps to take a look at. They mentioned 3x3 years on nhl net this morning and I don't think that's crazy money though a bit high.

I think I'd be ok if the Caps added Orpik and Boyle(the 6'7 center who is a beast in the dot) as it would add instant snarl in two positions this team could use some nasty.

Edit. Edler was getting 26 mins a game while Erhoff got around 20. Hamhuis was injured. Looks like Erhoff played second pair with Salo and the third pair was Tanev-Alberts/Rome

Last edited:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I want to like Boyle but he's too soft for how big he is. He's also probably going to get a big raise and 3rd line/energy forward is actually not a weakness for us.

As much as people badmouth Orpik, he'd be an instant upgrade for us and a really nice foil for Green, IMO. He's the one I hope we get.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
If we could somehow acquire the non-elite Jason Spezza and the 3-4 dman Christian Ehrhoff, we'd be legitimate contenders.

Do you think Erhoff plays top pair LD over Alzner? I think Trotz will turn Alzner into a Hamhuis like player and have him more evolved into a two way game. He didn't have many stay at home types in my recent memory in Nashville. I think he rides Carlzner as the top pair and would play Erhoff with Green on the second pair provided both players are here.

You guys can rip on me about the 3-4 comment all you want. Fact is he's a top guy in Buffalo with another suposed stud in Tyler Myers and that team wasn't very good. I know a lot factors in than just two players but CE hasn't been a #1 anywhere he's been. Why would the Sharks,Nucks and now rumored Sabres even entertain the thought of letting him leave?

Boyle/Vlasic was better. Edler/Bieksa-Hamhuis/Bieksa were also better.

At best ok he's a number two. My bad.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I want to like Boyle but he's too soft for how big he is. He's also probably going to get a big raise and 3rd line/energy forward is actually not a weakness for us.

As much as people badmouth Orpik, he'd be an instant upgrade for us and a really nice foil for Green, IMO. He's the one I hope we get.

I think Boyle is ready for a bigger role no pun. He's got a ton of experience and the team needs a dominant face off man again. Though he doesn't use his size with the puck the dude is far from soft. He was constantly in the scrums vs the Caps in the playoffs. A Boyle-Wilson combo is not something teams are going to want to face.

As for Orpik according to the Pens he's the second fastest defender after Tang so he's not slow. I think the Caps need a guy who will put the opposition on their ass for once. Carlson tries but never lays the boom and we get the occasional hip check from Oleksey/Orlov every five games or so. Orpik would bring a physical prescience the team has lacked for some time. Witt maybe?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's likely faster than Scuderi but that's about it. He's definitely not faster than Martin or Maatta. I'd maybe give him a look but they'd have to strike out on a few LD options first.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
He's likely faster than Scuderi but that's about it. He's definitely not faster than Martin or Maatta. I'd maybe give him a look but they'd have to strike out on a few LD options first.

I still think he goes fast, someone's gonna sign him on name value early in my opinion.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Vancouver defensemen ranks for Ehrhoff in 2010-11:

#2 in regular season TOI
#1 in regular season points
#4 in playoff TOI
#1 in playoff points
#1 in playoff PPTOI

That's on a President's Trophy winning, 54-win team.

That's not a #3-4.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Check out the value of Orpik thread on the main board. I couldn't believe it either really but considered they knew more than me about him.

Every Pens fan I know says he has lost a couple steps over the last few seasons. And there were plenty of posters on their board all season saying the same thing. I don't know...

Halpysback*

Yeah, let's sign Dan Boyle, Stephan Robidas and Brad Richards while we're at it and pretend it's 2009

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
NSH wants a top-6 forward for the 11th OA. Paging Mr. Brouwer. You are needed in Nashville. Opens a wing spot and gives us two picks to wheel and deal up the draft.

Either that or Brouwer and the 13th to one of the teams in the top 5.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
NSH wants a top-6 forward for the 11th OA. Paging Mr. Brouwer. You are needed in Nashville. Opens a wing spot and gives us two picks to wheel and deal up the draft.

Either that or Brouwer and the 13th to one of the teams in the top 5.

If you think Brouwer gets the 11th, or 13th + Brouwer lands you in the top 5, you're out of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino