Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halpysback*

If we head into next season with two players with a combined 6 NHL career goals penciled into the top six, we may as well already start rooting for McDavid.

You mean like Colorado in 2010 after they started the year with Duchene and O'Reilly's combined 0 career goals? Or Tampa with Palat and Johnson's combined 5 career goals before this year?

Halpysback*

Start Wilson with Backstrom and AO with Kuz, with 2 other offensively capable proven top 6 players ideally. (Legwand/Grabo with AO and some unknown physical guy with Backstrom). If Wilson can 3rd wheel there he instantly becomes as valuable as Wilson43Caps pretends he is

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Start Wilson with Backstrom and AO with Kuz, with 2 other offensively capable proven top 6 players ideally. (Legwand/Grabo with AO and some unknown physical guy with Backstrom). If Wilson can 3rd wheel there he instantly becomes as valuable as Wilson43Caps pretends he is

Have fun with your number 1 center getting 50 points

Liberati0n*

Phaneuf had a -29 penalty differential last year. Wow.

Edit: Yeah, worst in the league.

Apr 6, 2004

He is NOT the player this team needs, I think that point is magnified by the contract. Sure, he's considerably more attractive if his salary would be retained by the Leafs but even still .... not worth mortgaging considerable pieces of the future. With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a similar player in terms of size and skill level. Coburn, Bogosian, etc.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

A bunch of players had worse ratios of Penalties taken/60 to Penalties drawn/60, which I think is much more relevant.

Among them are Victor Hedman, Ladislav Smid, Eric Brewer, Matt Niskanen, Trevor Daley, Paul Ranger, Roman Polak

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He is NOT the player this team needs, I think that point is magnified by the contract. Sure, he's considerably more attractive if his salary would be retained by the Leafs but even still .... not worth mortgaging considerable pieces of the future. With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a similar player in terms of size and skill level. Coburn, Bogosian, etc.

Neither Coburn or Bogosian is close to his skill level.

Liberati0n*

A bunch of players had worse ratios of Penalties taken/60 to Penalties drawn/60, which I think is much more relevant.

Among them are Victor Hedman, Ladislav Smid, Eric Brewer, Matt Niskanen, Trevor Daley, Paul Ranger, Roman Polak

One of those players doesn't even exist.

I'm not necessarily against the speculated trade, but whether or not there are a few guys ahead of him, that's pretty bad.

Apr 6, 2004
Neither Coburn or Bogosian is close to his skill level.

I don't think the gap is that big by any means and even if you did comparing the contracts would close that gap instantly.

My overall point was that there has to be other options for an imposing top 4 d-man

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

If you're open to a "similar player", you're essentially saying you don't want him because of the team/system he was on/in.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Per Capgeek, Caps currently with 14.9 cap space.

Make trade with Toronto for Phaneuf sending MAJO/'14 1st and if need to add a B prospect Kundratek.

Difference between Phaneuf and MAJO salaries leaves 9.9 cap space.

Caps address C needs via UFA with players Trotz is familiar with and who know his system, David Legwand and Marcel Goc. Spitballing their salaries at 4 and 3 mil respectively, leaving 2.9 in cap space.

Sign Vokoun as veteran back up for one year at 1-1.5. Leaving about 1.4 in space.

Sign Tootoo for about 800K. Let Wilson play at Hershey and develop with more ice time.

"Getting the Band back together" moment with all of these former Predators alumni but it will help with implementing Trotz's system having players around who have played in it plus will serve as a bit of a bridge in this team moving forward. The team is not near being a SC contender but could help in getting back to playoffs. Team will also have a number of players becoming UFAs this time next year thus creating more cap space.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Kuznetsov - Legwand - Fehr
Chimera - Goc - Ward
Laich - Beagle/Latta - Tootoo
Brown

Phaneuf - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Third pairings are kind of up for grabs especially with Orlov's injury (Erskine, Hillen, Schilling, Schmidt, Wey, Olesky, Carrick)

Holtby
Vokoun

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Uh, no, it's primarily the contract.

Oh. I thought the point was magnified by the contract, rather than the contract being the main point.

Personally I don't have a problem with his contract. It fits into a reasonable salary structure even with Green at 6M. That said, Ehrhoff's contract is significantly better.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't think the gap is that big by any means and even if you did comparing the contracts would close that gap instantly.

My overall point was that there has to be other options for an imposing top 4 d-man

It's a pretty substantial gap, and the contracts are completely irrelevant to skill level.

Sure, there are other worse options for an imposing top 4 d-man.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA

I don't know how you didn't notice that, the North American hockey media was constantly gutting him for being a minus player with poor leadership qualities whose off-ice celebrity was a locker room distraction. Glenn Healy and Mike Milbury basically had staple "rip Phaneuf" segment during intermissions.

Apr 6, 2004
Oh. I thought the point was magnified by the contract, rather than the contract being the main point.

Personally I don't have a problem with his contract. It fits into a reasonable salary structure even with Green at 6M. That said, Ehrhoff's contract is significantly better.

His skill set is there but he's regressing, fills a void no question but as you pointed out I'm more in the Ehrhoff came.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't know how you didn't notice that, the North American hockey media was constantly gutting him for being a minus player with poor leadership qualities whose off-ice celebrity was a locker room distraction. Glenn Healy and Mike Milbury basically had staple "rip Phaneuf" segment during intermissions.

Perfect, he'll take the heat off of Ovechkin then!:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad