Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I'd guess #1 across the board.

He was unequivocally a #1 defenseman that year. He's regressed and Ehrhoff really hasn't

Hmm going from 50 pts to 30 ish while experiencing injuries over the next 4 years sounds oddly familiar to a player we all know and love.

15-20 less points a year since that finals appearance is regressing. Or a great indicator of the talent around him. Again he's bounced around for a reason but he's still an upgrade and welcomed here.

30 pts is not #1 defenseman numbers. 09-11 was his peak and he had a good lockout year. Say it again #2 at best.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Hmm going from 50 pts to 30 ish while experiencing injuries over the next 4 years sounds oddly familiar to a player we all know and love.

15-20 less points a year since that finals appearance is regressing. Or a great indicator of the talent around him. Again he's bounced around for a reason but he's still an upgrade and welcomed here.

30 pts is not #1 defenseman numbers. 09-11 was his peak and he had a good lockout year. Say it again #2 at best.

Seriously? You don't think the move to Buffalo had anything to do with the downturn in his numbers?

Put Erik Karlsson in Buffalo and he probably loses 20 points.

He's "bounced around" to 3 teams in his career and one of the moves, he was a UFA. Vancouver didn't let him go because he wasn't good enough. He left Vancouver to get paid. Jack Johnson, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Jay Bouwmeester, Jason Garrison, Andy Greene, Dion Phaneuf, Tobias Enstrom, and Drew Doughty all had similar point outputs. Are you prepared to say none of them is a #1?

Edit: just to put the ineptitude of Buffalo's offense in perspective, if you discount shootout 'goals', they are the worst scoring offense in modern NHL history, scoring 1 fewer goal than the 1997-98 Tampa Bay Lightning. No team since the 1920's has been worse.

Last edited:

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Seriously? You don't think the move to Buffalo had anything to do with the downturn in his numbers?

Put Erik Karlsson in Buffalo and he probably loses 20 points.

He's "bounced around" to 3 teams in his career and one of the moves, he was a UFA. Vancouver didn't let him go because he wasn't good enough. He left Vancouver to get paid. Jack Johnson, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Jay Bouwmeester, Jason Garrison, Andy Greene, Dion Phaneuf, Tobias Enstrom, and Drew Doughty all had similar point outputs. Are you prepared to say none of them is a #1?

The word regress simply applied. I did say it was an indicator of talent around him.

Points are not the only indicator because then we have Green and Carly ahead of Erhoff on that list. Being a -26 playing with Tyler "You're just not watching him"Myers and in front of Miller looks awful too. When had Erhoff ever been known for his defensive qualities anyways?

Ok you win. He's a number one on an absolute dog **** team. How many of those listed players are rumored available other than mr attitude Phanuef?

All this says is that he needs to be surrounded with a good amount of talent to be that top guy. The same argument as to why so many of you also want Green gone. "A true #1 defenseman should need reliable partners making that kind of money" luckily the Caps do have the type of talent he needs.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Green and Carlson are indeed ahead of him on that list, and they played with a guy that had more goals than anyone on Buffalo had points.

Look how good Sekera has played outside of that dumpster fire. Ehrhoff was getting 4+ more minutes per night than Sekera in Buffalo.

The guy can play. He's not a shutdown defender, but he'd be the best puck mover outside of Green with a much more consistent and effective defensive game than Green.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The word regress simply applied. I did say it was an indicator of talent around him.

Points are not the only indicator because then we have Green and Carly ahead of Erhoff on that list. Being a -26 playing with Tyler "You're just not watching him"Myers and in front of Miller looks awful too. When had Erhoff ever been known for his defensive qualities anyways?

Ok you win. He's a number one on an absolute dog **** team. How many of those listed players are rumored available other than mr attitude Phanuef?

All this says is that he needs to be surrounded with a good amount of talent to be that top guy. The same argument as to why so many of you also want Green gone. "A true #1 defenseman should need reliable partners making that kind of money" luckily the Caps do have the type of talent he needs.

He didn't play with Myers. He spent about a third of his time with Mark Pysyk (22 year old who spent half the season in the AHL), and a sixth each with Alexander Sulzer (journeyman), Rasmus Ristolainen (19 yo rookie), and Jamie McBain (meh). I have no idea why, but they've shuffled him around with different partners his whole time there. He never had a partner he spent more than 34% of his time with. Also, Miller was not exactly great at ES this year.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Out of all rumored defenseman available I think the Hoff is the most realistic to be aquired and I'd be very happy. I just worry the same suspects will want to run him out of here and complain even more about his contract.

I really do think he and Green can be dynamic together. Still I think this teams top pair is Carlzner. Trotz knows it and prob had much to do with him coming here. I said it above that I think Alzner will start to transition into a more TWD and I'll add that Carlson will have a break out year not necessarily in points but league wide recognition as a top defenseman.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Out of all rumored defenseman available I think the Hoff is the most realistic to be aquired and I'd be very happy. I just worry the same suspects will want to run him out of here and complain even more about his contract.

That's no reason not to acquire a player. The rabble on HF (myself included) are collectively idiots, though individually we might know quite a bit about a team/player/the league.

HF is also not indicative of the Caps fanbase in general, as Green and Mojo don't generally get booed at home, and most casual Caps fans I know don't dislike either player, though both are pariahs around here on HF.

In a different era Green might have been wooped out of town, but those days appear to be over. Or maybe those fans just gave up their season tickets.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Things are worse than I thought in San Jose. I figure they just didn't want to get saddled with Marleau, Burns, and Thornton's contracts while feeling they weren't contenders with them...

Remember that time there was a rumor that if the Caps kept losing Semin was to be dealt for Marleau? Of course they came out and beat the Rangers and it never happened. Prob not true but damn McPhee prob should've made that move if true. I'm not even big on Marleau but asset management.

Halpysback*

Ehrhoff should go with Carlson to have a mobile/dynamic two way pairing. Alzner is not offensively good enough to really be on a high end top pairing without a Doughty/Subban type carrying the offense.

Ehrhoff Carlson
Alzner Stralman
Orlov Fayne

Perfect. That's slightly less good than what NY have, assuming Ehrhoff > Girardi which right now he most likely is.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
What are we gonna move to get Ehrhoff...? I doubt something around Green would get it done...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Toys for Trotz are our young dmen that still have hope of being developed and used properly. It would go a long ways to fixing what is right on our team, by focusing on improving the games of Alzner Carlson and Orlov. It may be too late for 52 card pickup.

Our prospects never seem to develop or add to their games nearly as much as I think they could, and I keep a low bar. Alzner for one I was sure was ready to add a bit more offense last year. Players just seem to stay in their comfort zones and that's it, they are done cooking.

It's amazing how poorly we did developing prospects under the old regime. Which is really the current regime. George got pushed out, and everyone else got a promotion. Not very inspiring.

So it comes down to Trotz. We are at a low, so the only way to go is up.

daily_gifdump_643_14.gif

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
:p:

First and Mojo, sure. I like Bura, Barber, and Bowey too much to wanna unload them at the moment...

That's not going to get it done, with the cap recapture penalty it would take a big package for Buffalo to risk it

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@andystrickland: Brian Campbell apparently wants out of Florida...still has two years left on contract paying north of $7 million #Panthers

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
@andystrickland: Brian Campbell apparently wants out of Florida...still has two years left on contract paying north of $7 million #Panthers

I'm down.

Get on it Grape Ape! Think he's upset over the broken collar bone still?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
That's not going to get it done, with the cap recapture penalty it would take a big package for Buffalo to risk it

A lot of Sabres fans were happy with that package. They also want to retain 50% of his salary to lessen the possible recapture penalty, which makes his contract ridiculously good.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If Grabo wants too much money let him walk. Fill Kuz as the #2C and use the money to upgrade the D. If Phaneuf could be acquired for a reasonable price I would rather have him that Campbell. Isn't Campbell's contract worse? I also think Phaneuf would balance out Green's game and is more of a Trotz like player. With all the speculation from the Caps reporters on Phaneuf, I think GMBM is talking hard with Toronto.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm ready to roll the dice on Kuznetsov as 2C if we strike out in our attempt to fill that position for the 42nd time. But given Trotz' history of working in young players very gradually, I sincerely doubt it happens.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
If Grabo wants too much money let him walk. Fill Kuz as the #2C and use the money to upgrade the D. If Phaneuf could be acquired for a reasonable price I would rather have him that Campbell. Isn't Campbell's contract worse? I also think Phaneuf would balance out Green's game and is more of a Trotz like player. With all the speculation from the Caps reporters on Phaneuf, I think GMBM is talking hard with Toronto.

Campbell has two more years at 7.1M, Phaneuf has seven more at 7M. Which contract is worse depends on how you view each player.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Ehrhoff should go with Carlson to have a mobile/dynamic two way pairing. Alzner is not offensively good enough to really be on a high end top pairing without a Doughty/Subban type carrying the offense.

Ehrhoff Carlson
Alzner Stralman
Orlov Fayne

Perfect. That's slightly less good than what NY have, assuming Ehrhoff > Girardi which right now he most likely is.

Not sure why you would make that statement about Alzner and then not pencil Green in next to him. Doughty/Subban are better two-way d-men than Green but neither one of them has his pure offensive skill. If we can somehow get Ehrhoff and keep Green why not

Ehrhoff Carlson
Alzner Green
Orlov TBD

Is it just because of salary? I'd love to see how a hopefully healthy Green would do given the opportunity to play to his strengths again. As bad as Oates was across the board at using his players properly, probably none were as badly used as Mike Green.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
tootoo is getting complianced....

any tire kicking on him, or too too much drama?

would be an entertaining player to have, if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad