Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If there's no significant roster change and the team misses the playoffs I think you can expect above average player turnover, maybe even a rebuild or firesale. A new front office with experience is set. New blood is being pumped into a development system they plan on rejuvenating. If spending to the cap on veteran roster players isn't getting it done 2 years in a row then something has to give, and it probably won't be the shiny new front office.

not sure that I agree that this is a veteran roster. right? they were 4th or 5th youngest team in the league last season and to date nothing has changed that. who would you fire sale?

the list of veterans would be pretty small unless you are talking about ovechkin and backstrom too.

chimera and ward could be traded, but beyond the two big guys the only other forward veteran is laich. on defense its just green unless you fire sale Carlson and Alzner who are players you rebuild around. the goalie is a kid.

this is not an aging team. they need more veterans to improve not less.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
How will they add a C of consequence without trading Wilson, Mojo, or Kuznetsov?

Carrick, Bowey, Burakovsky, Vrana, Grubauer, Barber, Schmidt, all hold value. Any 2 (or 3) of those pieces is a lot, slice it any way you want. And of course draft picks. I'd trade next years first for Pavelski. Yup.

1st + Carrick + Burakovsky would net a lot, wouldn't it? Pretty much almost anything, I'd wager. Anything we are talking about.

Only hiccup is if receiving team wanted NHL playing talent now. If so, then MaJo would go, in lieu of say Burakovsky.

If that happens, then ensure you get a young forward back in the Brouwer deal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Most of us will, however there is some promise. Had no changes been made with the GM or coaching, there is no question another idle offseason waste. Lol, I wonder how many will have updates programmed for Tuesday.

all the McPhee a sleep at the switch, risk averse and so on comments of years past can no longer be hurled. now what? so far it appears little has changed but the names on the press release.

I still think changes are coming but on a different scale and time table than we are hoping for. if ehroff is going to get a big ufa deal, leonsis isn't got to be the guy signing it. particularly if it looks anything like the contract the guy got from buffalo.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carrick, Bowey, Burakovsky, Vrana, Grubauer, Barber, Schmidt, all hold value. Any 2 (or 3) of those pieces is a lot, slice it any way you want. And of course draft picks. I'd trade next years first for Pavelski. Yup.

1st + Carrick + Burakovsky would net a lot, wouldn't it? Pretty much almost anything, I'd wager. Anything we are talking about.

Only hiccup is if receiving team wanted NHL playing talent now. If so, then MaJo would go, in lieu of say Burakovsky.

If that happens, then ensure you get a young forward back in the Brouwer deal.

ribeiro was a center of consequence. eakin and a 2nd. so...carrick and a 2nd would score a solid center in the last year of his contract. a center on a good contract with multi years left would be more expensive, but those kind of players just don't get traded very often nowdays.
a center on a bad contract would come for less were the caps willing to eat a bad contract.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt Vrana nets you anything, and the only other pluses besides next years first that holds value (outside of the 3 named) is Bowey and that's not a player I'd gamble away unless you're getting a young top line player/prospect back.

Lol. Vrana won't net the Caps anything?

A week ago, would the Caps 13OA netted you nothing? Vrana is so bad that he negates the value from a week ago?

Ok then.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
not sure that I agree that this is a veteran roster. right? they were 4th or 5th youngest team in the league last season and to date nothing has changed that. who would you fire sale?

the list of veterans would be pretty small unless you are talking about ovechkin and backstrom too.

chimera and ward could be traded, but beyond the two big guys the only other forward veteran is laich. on defense its just green unless you fire sale Carlson and Alzner who are players you rebuild around. the goalie is a kid.

this is not an aging team. they need more veterans to improve not less.

Are you seriously nitpicking my saying we just changed management so another failure means moving "veteran roster players"?

If you're spending to the cap and not making the playoffs, and you just changed your whole front office, and you're drafting a lot of young forwards, and you're talking about rejuvenating the development program, and you have maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the roster tying up a lot of the money in older forwards, what do you think is going to happen?

I'll give you a hint: it isn't dumping the cheap players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you seriously nitpicking my saying we just changed management so another failure means moving "veteran roster players"?

If you're spending to the cap and not making the playoffs, and you just changed your whole front office, and you're drafting a lot of young forwards, and you're talking about rejuvenating the development program, and you have maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the roster tying up a lot of the money in older forwards, what do you think is going to happen?

I'll give you a hint: it isn't dumping the cheap players.

older players. who?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
all the McPhee a sleep at the switch, risk averse and so on comments of years past can no longer be hurled. now what? so far it appears little has changed but the names on the press release.

I still think changes are coming but on a different scale and time table than we are hoping for. if ehroff is going to get a big ufa deal, leonsis isn't got to be the guy signing it. particularly if it looks anything like the contract the guy got from buffalo.

As stated in an earlier post, I'm holding judgement until after the UFA frenzy. So far the low trade activity at the draft shows me too many teams playing it safe. I at least expect the Caps to be seriously in talks. GMBM has to prove it, otherwise I'm saving money this season on packages etc.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
A few things to consider:

- Current cap space for the Caps per capgeek is 12.6

- From all reports Orlov may not be back from his injury (broken arm) until November, thus he most likely will qualify for LTIR to begin the season. In order to qualify for placement on the Long Term Injured Reserve (henceforth referred to as the LTIR), a player must be deemed to be unavailable for 24 days and 10 NHL games. If that is satisfied, a player can be placed on the LTIR. Orlov's salary is 2 million, thus we could go over the cap (69 million) by 2 million while he's LTIR. This could allow the team to sought out things on the roster the first few weeks.

- Per the WAPO article Trotz has indicated that he'll use Ovechkin on the right side to begin with. So we are back to being fat on the right side with the likes of Ovechkin, Brouwer, Fehr, Ward and Wilson. Whereas we are also back to being fairly light on the left side with the likes of Laich, MAJO, Chimera, Kuznetsov. I know there are a number that would like to see Laich gone but it really makes no sense at this time with how light the team is at LW. It was his injury that prompted GMGM to make the Erat trade. Rather if we are going to move a forward it will most likely be a RW.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
i thought kuz was a RW everywhere but washington. so that may bring in more RW depth depending on what trotz thinks.

anyways grabo + cammaleri would be great, assuming we address the defense problems first such as brouwer for gorges would be nice.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Lol. Vrana won't net the Caps anything?

A week ago, would the Caps 13OA netted you nothing? Vrana is so bad that he negates the value from a week ago?

Ok then.

It's like a car, the minute it's off the lot it's value depreciates fast. Vrana doesn't hold the same as the 13th over all because not everyone valued him that high. Suddenly 30 people wanting something could drop to 10 or 15.

Do you not understand that?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It's like a car, the minute it's off the lot it's value depreciates fast. Vrana doesn't hold the same as the 13th over all because not everyone valued him that high. Suddenly 30 people wanting something could drop to 10 or 15.

it could go both ways, maybe some valued him higher than 13.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Another year like the last one and I sincerely doubt we have a choice about trading 8.

The flaw in this hypothetical that even this tragic possibility would require upper management guts. So, unless Ovi himself starts to express discontent...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

That's horse crap. A first round pick, top 15, doesn't devalue like a frickin automobile. Vrana was high teens to low 20's in most boards. You think had the Caps not picked him, he would have fallen out of the first round? He's a first round pick. His value is a first round pick.

Your perception is wrong. I'm guessing you do not understand that.

Liberati0n*

That's horse crap. A first round pick, top 15, doesn't devalue like a frickin automobile. Vrana was high teens to low 20's in most boards. You think had the Caps not picked him, he would have fallen out of the first round? He's a first round pick. His value is a first round pick.

Your perception is wrong. I'm guessing you do not understand that.

A team acquiring a 13th overall pick is doing so with the hope of a player they value as top-13, or higher, being available there. While teams would pick different players there, the pick itself has similar value to all teams. If the player they can get is restricted to one, the value is dependent on teams' views of that one player. Some teams may value Vrana as highly as the Capitals, but his consistently below-13 rankings mean that on average his value is decently lower than the 13th pick's. It's kind of incredible that you're disagreeing.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
A team acquiring a 13th overall pick is doing so with the hope of a player they value as top-13, or higher, being available there. While teams would pick different players there, the pick itself has similar value to all teams. If the player they can get is restricted to one, the value is dependent on teams' views of that one player. Some teams may value Vrana as highly as the Capitals, but his consistently below-13 rankings mean that on average his value is decently lower than the 13th pick's. It's kind of incredible that you're disagreeing.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread here. This guy is saying Vrana has no value as a trade chip. I told him that was bunk, and that was what I was disagreeing too. He then compared Vrana to a new car.

Anyway you slice it, Vrana has plenty of value as a trade chip. Are we saying that a guy drafted 25 has no value? Say Vrana went 25th to whomever. He'd be worth nothing then? What are you saying is decently lower? How much lower? "Not worth anything", low?

You guys are funny.

butters8814*

next years draft i heard is really strong, so i would trade the first next year

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Vrana looks like a shiny new Porsche 911 Turbo to me. I'll keep it thank you very much.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Would be content with the following:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Kuznetsov-Legwand-Brouwer
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson
Fehr-Latta-Brown

(Trade Laich to buffalo)

Or

Laich-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Fehr-Latta-Wilson

Then for the defense:

Alzner-Green
Ehrhoff-Carlson
Orlov-Stralman/Orpik/Weaver

3.5 mil for Legwand
5mil for ehrhoff
~4.5 for Stralman/Orpik...2mil for weaver

CapNMac

Jun 30, 2014
Perhaps you should read the whole thread here. This guy is saying Vrana has no value as a trade chip. I told him that was bunk, and that was what I was disagreeing too. He then compared Vrana to a new car.

Anyway you slice it, Vrana has plenty of value as a trade chip. Are we saying that a guy drafted 25 has no value? Say Vrana went 25th to whomever. He'd be worth nothing then? What are you saying is decently lower? How much lower? "Not worth anything", low?

You guys are funny.

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between "He has no trade value" and "His value may have dropped (or risen btw) depending on where other teams had him on their draft boards."

Hopefully it is all mute and we are not trading him.

...did I miss the memo where you have to be correct to express your opinion?
Laughed so hard, quote of the year.
Way to aim high.

CapNMac

Jun 30, 2014
Would be content with the following:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ward
Chimera-Johansson-Wilson
Fehr-Latta-Brown

(Trade Laich to buffalo)

Or

Laich-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Fehr-Latta-Wilson

Then for the defense:

Alzner-Green
Ehrhoff-Carlson
Orlov-Stralman/Orpik/Weaver

3.5 mil for Legwand
5mil for ehrhoff
~4.5 for Stralman/Orpik...2mil for weaver

Not sure why Buff would want a guy like Laich since they are building for 3 years from now.
I would love to get D Meyers from them. But yeah, Laich, Carrick and a #2 pick if they would take Laich (or trade Laich to another team for a player or pick to include in the deal)... Then you don't need to get Orpik etc.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Here is how Tuesday will go for Cap fans. Everyone knows we need Dmen, 2C and a veteran goalie. What will get is, not even close to making this team better. Count on it, it happens every year Cap fans.

Don't take Tuesday off from work, it would be will be a wasted sick/vacation day.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Does the drafting of a goalie, trading for another, and Mac saying he wants to sign a veteran backup make Grubauer trade bait right now? I would be all for it if so. Grubauer has a ton of potential and would help in the big return of a defenseman or center. I think it would also be good for Holtby's confidence to know that this is his team and there won't be anyone being called up from the AHL when you have one bad game. Grubauer Bowey/Barber and MOJO/Brouwer is a damn good package in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad