Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I really hope Niskanen isn't their solution on Defense. It's looking really likely based on @alex_prewitt's recent tweets.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When I watched the Rangers and Kings....I saw two teams with 6 defenders that could all play 20 minutes if they needed to. I don't care if Carlson plays more one night or Niskanen the next or Green the next. Just that they have a full six defenders that can all play. No weakness within any of the pairings.

You want Carlson playing more or Green playing more. Sure! I dont care. As long as the defense as a whole is better, I dont give a **** who plays more minutes or who is considered the #1 pairing.

Which of them had a $6M defender on their third pairing?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Which of them had a $6M defender on their third pairing?
Who cares?

To me...its the sum of the entire group compared to the sum of just one player and where he plays. If Green gets pushed down to 3rd pairing...he gets pushed down. But if you have three pairings that can play any situation...compared to Connor Carrick John Erskine and Jack Hillen getting those minutes...I'd take the complete 6 defenders as a whole over trash on the 3rd pairing. But whatever.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fehr isn't a center. I'd hope the new coaching staff recognizes this. Fehr, Johansson & Brouwer all have questionable fits up front, particularly if they're looking to slot Wilson higher up the lineup.

You bring in Niskanen and then you trade Green. Seems like a no-brainer IMO. They're absolutely going to need a trade or two if they add two D on $4M+ salaries. If not to move Green alone then to have actual NHL level centers throughout the lineup.

Reportedly Gorges has the other Canadian teams on his NTC list so not sure he'll waive for TOR just because they want him to.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I didn't think he was a center either...but that line worked, so I stuck him there. No problem moving him to wing for a real center (Latta makes sense there)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fehr isn't a center. I'd hope the new coaching staff recognizes this. Fehr, Johansson & Brouwer all have questionable fits up front, particularly if they're looking to slot Wilson higher up the lineup.

You bring in Niskanen and then you trade Green. Seems like a no-brainer IMO. They're absolutely going to need a trade or two if they add two D on $4M+ salaries. If not to move Green alone then to have actual NHL level centers throughout the lineup.

Reportedly Gorges' NTC list includes all of the other Canadian teams so not sure he'll waive for TOR just because they want him to.

I have been looking at this Niskanen talk as a "better fit with the new staff, and maybe cheaper" option that's tied to moving Green. I'm not sure they pull it off, though. I think if they don't see the right value for Green, and if Niskanen wants too much, they fall back on Orpik and/or someone else and hold onto Green while shopping him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who cares?

To me...its the sum of the entire group compared to the sum of just one player and where he plays. If Green gets pushed down to 3rd pairing...he gets pushed down. But if you have three pairings that can play any situation...compared to Connor Carrick John Erskine and Jack Hillen getting those minutes...I'd take the complete 6 defenders as a whole over trash on the 3rd pairing. But whatever.

I care, as should anyone who wants to see a competitive hockey team out there. This team is more than a 3rd pairing defenseman away from competing for a cup, so it doesn't make senes to blow their UFA wad to better the 3rd pairing. They don't have infinite cap space, and need to address issues at minimally 2C, 2LD, 2G, and possibly LW or 3C in addition to the 3rd pairing. The 3rd pairing can be addressed for cheaper with a player like Weaver. Paying one of Green or Niskanen $6M to play on the 3rd pairing and get little powerplay time just doesn't make sense. Paying Niskanen what he's going to command as a UFA doesn't make sense period, for that matter.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Are they going to pursue a #2C? I'm encouraged about all the D talk, but there seems to be nothing on the C front outside of internal options.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, the second roster is more like it. They're probably going to need a vet center that Trotz trusts to throw onto the ice in crucial situations. Maybe more of a defensive sort like McClement/Goc/Fiddler/Moore/Boyle but someone that has ample experience. Center seems to be way down the list after D so we can probably rule out Stastny and perhaps anyone better than Legwand.

If they trade Green after signing Niskanen I'd think it'd be mainly cheap futures or picks. Maybe those futures/picks are slinged in other deals.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt
Niskanen's agent Neil Sheehy to @Russostrib on @KFAN1003: "I don't think there's any question I can get a seven-year contract for Matt."

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I care, as should anyone who wants to see a competitive hockey team out there. This team is more than a 3rd pairing defenseman away from competing for a cup, so it doesn't make senes to blow their UFA wad to better the 3rd pairing. They don't have infinite cap space, and need to address issues at minimally 2C, 2LD, 2G, and possibly LW or 3C in addition to the 3rd pairing. The 3rd pairing can be addressed for cheaper with a player like Weaver. Paying one of Green or Niskanen $6M to play on the 3rd pairing and get little powerplay time just doesn't make sense. Paying Niskanen what he's going to command as a UFA doesn't make sense period, for that matter.
Considering that I believe Green isn't here past this season, then paying Niskanen does make sense to me.

He's a solid option. He wont put up Green (in his hayday) points, but he wont blow coverages or get beat up in the playoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When was the last time Caps fans collectively went "OMG I can't believe we got ________!" in talking about player acquisitions?

Feds? Arnott?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, the second roster is more like it. They're probably going to need a vet center that Trotz trusts to throw onto the ice in crucial situations. Maybe more of a defensive sort like McClement/Goc/Fiddler/Moore/Boyle but someone that has ample experience. Center seems to be way down the list after D so we can probably rule out Stastny and perhaps anyone better than Legwand.

If they trade Green after signing Niskanen I'd think it'd be mainly cheap futures or picks. Maybe those futures/picks are slinged in other deals.

That is a depressing list.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
When was the last time Caps fans collectively went "OMG I can't believe we got ________!" in talking about player acquisitions?

Feds? Arnott?
Both trades so how about UFAs alone? Is Robert Lang their best all-time UFA signing?

I don't think Niskanen would be a huge signing. He's just a guy coming off of a big year and a couple solid ones that's young and the Caps are motivated to overpay someone in a weak market. Voila.

Maybe they could get OJokinen on the cheap or Roy but if they're going cheap at center it'll show.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Considering that I believe Green isn't here past this season, then paying Niskanen does make sense to me.

He's a solid option. He wont put up Green (in his hayday) points, but he wont blow coverages or get beat up in the playoffs.
He absolutely will blow coverages and get beat in the playoffs. Why do you think Pittsburgh isn't willing to pay to bring him back? He's essentially a similar player to Dennis Wideman. We've been down that road before, not to mention we've seen the contracts that players like Wideman and Wisniewski have signed in UFA (both of which are rumored to be available now). I'd rather roll the dice with Green for this season, and assess again at the trade deadline than overspend on an immediately regretable Niskanen contract. If you really want to invest on a RD who could fill in at 2RD in the future, I'd be much more interested in Stralman or Fayne. Possibly even Morris if you feel that Bowey or Carrick are only ~2 years away from top 4 minutes.

Feds? Arnott?

Erat, but I don't quite think that's what you were talking about. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: