Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXII: Toys for Trotz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
That article pretty much eases my nerves about Niskanen or Ehrhoff. I'll gladly take either of the two.

I don't know... It doesn't really make Niskanen look like a great option. Ehrhoff, on the other hand, looks like the perfect piece to our Top 4.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
That article pretty much eases my nerves about Niskanen or Ehrhoff. I'll gladly take either of the two.

Yeah. I still prefer Stralman to Niskanen, but if they do have an inside track through Reirden that can help them get him for less of an overpayment then I'm on board.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
The options are there to improve the defense. We all have different opinions on who....but there are options.

Now...just have to get it done.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
When was the last time Caps fans collectively went "OMG I can't believe we got ________!" in talking about player acquisitions?

Feds? Arnott?
Huet for me; Grabowski, Vokoun, and Knuble were expected.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It really sounds like they're going hard after Niskanen and playing up the Reirden angle as their selling point.

@alex_prewitt
Todd Reirden said he's been in "constant contact" with Matt Niskanen since Niskanen came to Pittsburgh, and would reach out to the UFA.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm ok with it if we're also acquiring a much better defenseman like Ehrhoff or Gorges... It would also open up trading Green... to free up Cap for a 2C?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'm fine with 7 years if the coaching staff believes in him and is willing to give him a partner to help him succeed.

Alzner is already here...so there you go.

Get a new guy for Carlson (Ehrhoff or Carlson)...and we're good on D for years.

Green is dead man walking either way. Trade (after having a good season under Trotz) or walks as a UFA. This is his last season in DC unless he takes a pay cut.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Aren't teams not supposed to do what Reirden is doing? I don't care, I just feel like there's been a lot of tweets about a lot of players talking to a lot of teams and it's kind of amusing.
New rule in the CBA allows teams to talk to UFA's before July 1st. Cant make offers...but can talk. (we like you and will play you with so and so and you'll get these minutes...blah blah blah)

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Aren't teams not supposed to do what Reirden is doing? I don't care, I just feel like there's been a lot of tweets about a lot of players talking to a lot of teams and it's kind of amusing.

They're allowed to talk this year; they just can't nail down specifics or make verbal commitments AFAIK.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm fine with 7 years if the coaching staff believes in him and is willing to give him a partner to help him succeed.

Alzner is already here...so there you go.

Get a new guy for Carlson (Ehrhoff or Carlson)...and we're good on D for years.

Green is dead man walking either way. Trade (after having a good season under Trotz) or walks as a UFA. This is his last season in DC unless he takes a pay cut.

If they do get Niskanen, I'm not sure Green makes it to training camp.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
When was the last time Caps fans collectively went "OMG I can't believe we got ________!" in talking about player acquisitions?

Feds? Arnott?

The last one I remember was Vokoun. That move was both surprising and almost universally praised. Too bad it didn't work out.

CapNMac

Jun 30, 2014
If they do get Niskanen, I'm not sure Green makes it to training camp.

Watching the interview with Trotz on day 2 of draft, he suddenly looked uncharacteristically uncomfortable when asked about Mike Green this season. MY first thought was that they were about to trade him, so I would not be surprised if you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad