Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
What would you guys pay for Andrei Markov? I think the habs will be forced to trade him before the deadline because of the salary cap. He's a friend of Ovie and he seems like the perfect fit for your next cup run. He still is the best Habs D.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What would you guys pay for Andrei Markov? I think the habs will be forced to trade him before the deadline because of the salary cap. He's a friend of Ovie and he seems like the perfect fit for your next cup run. He still is the best Habs D.

Markov has a $5,750,000 cap hit this season and is a UFA at years end.

Im not sure we can take on that cap hit without sending one back.

I cant see GMGM trading Brooks (4.5) cap hit for a UFA and habs dont need a Goalie.

but i would offers brooks and orlov

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
There's a thread on the national hockey league forum asking which defenceman could be converted to a forward. I'm wondering if Beagle or one of our other forwards could be converted to a defenceman?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
There's a thread on the national hockey league forum asking which defenceman could be converted to a forward. I'm wondering if Beagle or one of our other forwards could be converted to a defenceman?

After seeing Schmidt's stick handling last game, I say we switch Schmidt and Laich. :laugh:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I've secretly wondered what Orlov would look like at forward. Seems like he makes a good one on paper.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I've secretly wondered what Orlov would look like at forward. Seems like he makes a good one on paper.

He was converted to a D at a pretty late age (14 I think, hence #9 he was wearing for his whole career before coming to America) and even spent some time as a forward in the KHL when an injury bug hit his team's forwards.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Ha, somehow I don't think he has a forward offensive instincts.

Markov has a $5,750,000 cap hit this season and is a UFA at years end.

Im not sure we can take on that cap hit without sending one back.

I cant see GMGM trading Brooks (4.5) cap hit for a UFA and habs dont need a Goalie.

but i would offers brooks and orlov

I offered Troy and Orlov a couple of days ago on the trades board and even the Habs fans looked thrilled... understandably. I think he would be a grand improvement.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Laich has played defense before, he seems the obvious one. Don't think Beagle has four-way mobility to play back there, nor the shot from the point.

I offered Troy and Orlov a couple of days ago on the trades board and even the Habs fans looked thrilled... understandably. I think he would be a grand improvement.
That still wouldn't clear enough cap space (unless Montreal retained salary), and is an awful lot to give up for a rental. Rather go for a Brouwer-Gorges deal.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I'd love to have Yakupov but I don't really see us having the pieces Edmonton would want in return for him. Especially now that they have Bryzgalov so a deal centered around Neuvy is probably out the window.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I'm tired of Laich having a 2nd line spot. That entire line is a waste. MoJo though, is in the right spot. He hates shooting the puck so he should be a facilitator. But he has no scorers around him, at least put another shooter on the line...like...Eric Fehr.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I'm tired of Laich having a 2nd line spot. That entire line is a waste. MoJo though, is in the right spot. He hates shooting the puck so he should be a facilitator. But he has no scorers around him, at least put another shooter on the line...like...Eric Fehr.

Brooks Richards to the 4th line? press box?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd love to have Yakupov but I don't really see us having the pieces Edmonton would want in return for him. Especially now that they have Bryzgalov so a deal centered around Neuvy is probably out the window.
ymake no mistake. bryz is on a one year tryout deal. personally, I think that if things continue as they are neuvirth going to Edmonton in the off season if bryz fails to secure a long term contrac makes a lot of sense but not before then

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Laich for Marchand! Similar contracts, Marchand's been playing on the 3rd line, replaced on the 2nd by Smith. Laich would fit well with Bergeron and Eriksson on their shutdown line.

It doesn't change the logjam up front, but it changes the dynamic of the Caps forwards/line combos.

I have a hard time seeing B's do it though...:(

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Laich's trade value is less than zero, and there is not a single GM in the NHL who is not 100% aware of that fact. There is nothing of value (outside of cap space) that Caps fans can hope to gain in the very unlikely scenario that other team agrees to take on his albatross of a contract.

If anything, the Caps will have to retain salary just to convince another team to accept a one-sided salary-dump trade. Which I'm fine with, because it'd probably cost less than a buyout during the off-season, and would get him off the roster earlier.

Halpysback*

Brouwer + Orlov + 1st for Yakupov.

For all the enigmatic crap he gets (on account of being Russian) dude works pretty damn hard and if developed properly his potential is sky high. Though I'm not sure the caps are the best place to develop players.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Laich's trade value is less than zero, and there is not a single GM in the NHL who is not 100% aware of that fact. There is nothing of value (outside of cap space) that Caps fans can hope to gain in the very unlikely scenario that other team agrees to take on his albatross of a contract.

If anything, the Caps will have to retain salary just to convince another team to accept a one-sided salary-dump trade. Which I'm fine with, because it'd probably cost less than a buyout during the off-season, and would get him off the roster earlier.

I'm no GMGM supporter....but they said the same thing about Chris Clark.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah Laich has too much of a good rep to be worthless, IMO. There's a lot of dumb among GMs, somebody will take a chance. Although if Laich continues his torrid non-scoring rate, I guess that can also change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad