Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Brouwer + Orlov + 1st for Yakupov.

For all the enigmatic crap he gets (on account of being Russian) dude works pretty damn hard and if developed properly his potential is sky high. Though I'm not sure the caps are the best place to develop players.

no thanks. No rip on Yakupov...but if the Caps are giving up that much, we need a top 4 LD back. No ifs, ands, or buts. Or forward groups is fine, Yak and KUz are redundant, and the defense is still bad.

Fix the D

Halpysback*

Difference is Clark cost only 2.5 million which is adequate for a 3rd liner that he was seen as whereas Laich costs a whole lot more.

Only real comparison I see to Laich is the Horcoff trade and Horcoff was expiring and possibly a cap move.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think George's feeble efforts to talk up Laich as a top notch 2C, actually hurts his worth.

Or is it common for GMs to talk up their players like this.

Halpysback*

no thanks. No rip on Yakupov...but if the Caps are giving up that much, we need a top 4 LD back. No ifs, ands, or buts. Or forward groups is fine, Yak and KUz are redundant, and the defense is still bad.

Fix the D

So you'd pass on a guy with sky-high potential?

If you develop Yakupov properly (or at least show that he can produce which I'm pretty certain he can on a team that does not seem more intent on ruining him than anything else) you can flip him for a much better D than you'd get with those assets. It's a risk-reward thing, and the caps do in fact need to make risk-reward moves to stop being pretenders. It's how you get ahead in this league. Plugging in Gorges or whoever won't do half as much to move us out of mediocrity. Plus we can still pursue a top 4 D, one does not exclude the other. But you get opportunities like that you need to take them.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
i agree our 2nd line doesn't work properly. There is no shooter on that. Yak is a left handed winger and ideally fits Oates's system. Yak-MoJo-Troy line - why not? A speedy winger, a passing center and a power forward.
We can offer a gritty versatile forward with high PK ability who can play both center/winger and brings veteran leadership in Laich - that's what doctor ordered for oils.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
i agree our 2nd line doesn't work properly. There is no shooter on that. Yak is a left handed winger and ideally fits Oates's system. Yak-MoJo-Troy line - why not? A speedy winger, a passing center and a power forward.
We can offer a gritty versatile forward with high PK ability who can play both center/winger and brings veteran leadership in Laich - that's what doctor ordered for oils.

Let Kuz get a shot on the 2nd line and move assets for D. That's the team need, not forward.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So you'd pass on a guy with sky-high potential?

If you develop Yakupov properly (or at least show that he can produce which I'm pretty certain he can on a team that does not seem more intent on ruining him than anything else) you can flip him for a much better D than you'd get with those assets. It's a risk-reward thing, and the caps do in fact need to make risk-reward moves to stop being pretenders. It's how you get ahead in this league. Plugging in Gorges or whoever won't do half as much to move us out of mediocrity. Plus we can still pursue a top 4 D, one does not exclude the other. But you get opportunities like that you need to take them.

and if he's on his way down, and he isnt the player you think he could be? We already have Kuz. We have ignored the defense for too long. If we trade Brouwer and our 1st, it needs to be for a Dman. We dont have any coming into the system as it is, we have forwards.

I dont agree with you.

Halpysback*

and if he's on his way down, and he isnt the player you think he could be? We already have Kuz. We have ignored the defense for too long. If we trade Brouwer and our 1st, it needs to be for a Dman. We dont have any coming into the system as it is, we have forwards.

I dont agree with you.

Then we lost Brouwer, Orlov and a 1st. Not pleasant but doesn't really set the franchise back much. The potential of getting a cost-controlled 40-50 goal scorer with 1st overall pedigree outweighs the risk. This isn't Martin ****ing Erat you're trading for.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Brouwer is fine. He can score 20-30 goals, be good on the PP, and racks up the hits. Laich otoh is useless. He's slow, can't score, doesn't make plays, doesn't hit, and the play just constantly dies on his stick.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
LEONSIS GIVES HIMSELF FAILING GRADE FOR CAPITALS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436467

I didn't see this posted anywhere.

Meh. It's been championship or bust for years now. That seems to be all it's based on, not any deeper analysis. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Brouwer is fine. He can score 20-30 goals, be good on the PP, and racks up the hits. Laich otoh is useless. He's slow, can't score, doesn't make plays, doesn't hit, and the play just constantly dies on his stick.

Brouwer can score on the PP, but at even strength he's every bit as useless as Laich. He's the only Cap that's played in more than 2/3 of the games that only has one ES point. I think Ward or Fehr could give us the same production from the slot on the PP. The only thing either of them really adds is PKing.

Liberati0n*

Meh. It's been championship or bust for years now. That seems to be all it's based on, not any deeper analysis. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why people think this is new. The term "failing grade" is, but the tone is the same as it's been for years.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

Brouwer can score on the PP, but at even strength he's every bit as useless as Laich. He's the only Cap that's played in more than 2/3 of the games that only has one ES point. I think Ward or Fehr could give us the same production from the slot on the PP. The only thing either of them really adds is PKing.

That may be true about Brouwer but IMO Laich is the problem on that line. Brouwer hasn't done too much, but Laich just kills plays.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, I'm really not sure why people think this is new. The term "failing grade" is, but the tone is the same as it's been for years.

Leonsis has listed his definitions of "success", and winning a Cup was at or near the bottom of the list. This is the first time he's downplayed the attendance and playoff appearances as not being good enough.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Leonsis has listed his definitions of "success", and winning a Cup was at or near the bottom of the list. This is the first time he's downplayed the attendance and playoff appearances as not being good enough.

No, he put that in a different category. Did you read the whole article? B for the business side, failing grade for the Caps, too soon to tell for the Wizards. No particular priority between the categories. Nothing new.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

That's how I read it too. He's always said "our ultimate goal is a Cup" but I don't recall him ever saying anything less isn't success.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No, he put that in a different category. Did you read the whole article? B for the business side, failing grade for the Caps, too soon to tell for the Wizards. No particular priority between the categories. Nothing new.

Yes I read the article. I am talking about a previous interview a few years ago regarding prioritization.

THIS article is the first time he's come right out and said making the playoffs and filling the seats is not enough. He's splitting the grades now between business and performance, but he wasn't before.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Yes I read the article. I am talking about a previous interview a few years ago regarding prioritization.

THIS article is the first time he's come right out and said making the playoffs and filling the seats is not enough. He's splitting the grades now between business and performance, but he wasn't before.

Ok, I see what you're getting at. Still, I'm not inclined to believe anything'll come from this, except that maybe McPhee is gone if we don't make progress this year, which isn't really earth shattering news.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ok, I see what you're getting at. Still, I'm not inclined to believe anything'll come from this, except that maybe McPhee is gone if we don't make progress this year, which isn't really earth shattering news.

Not earth shattering?!

He's survived 15 years despite nothing but abject failure.

McPhee getting fired would be universe shattering.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Not earth shattering?!

He's survived 15 years despite nothing but abject failure.

McPhee getting fired would be universe shattering.

Seemed clear to me when he made the Erat trade that his job was in some jeopardy. I think most of us already expected that a regression this year would get him fired. This maybe raises the bar a bit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seemed clear to me when he made the Erat trade that his job was in some jeopardy. I think most of us already expected that a regression this year would get him fired. This maybe raises the bar a bit.

We can say that about any year going back at least to the MTL debacle. If he survives any given year, we're not surprised. If he's fired, we won't be surprised.

Surprise is not the metric or the important thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad