Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
the only reason we didn't is because half of us are superstitious beyond any reasonable belief so we were all waiting on someone else to make it

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The bright side if they do get bounced, esp. in short order to the Isles, is they:

- Let their UFAs go and likely trade Chimera if possible
- Start prioritizing playing fast and fast players, right? Right? Part of that's getting younger and maybe for once being able to adequately draft bottom six forwards with their non-first round picks.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The bright side if they do get bounced, esp. in short order to the Isles, is they:

- Let their UFAs go and likely trade Chimera if possible
- Start prioritizing playing fast and fast players, right? Right? Part of that's getting younger and maybe for once being able to adequately draft bottom six forwards with their non-first round picks.

..I doubt very much that after talking about heaviness in almost every interview, Trotz is gonna become a speed guy after one series.

Maybe BM can turn on a dime, we don't really know what he's like, but it won't be easy.

I have a more moderate wish -- just (try to) get players who excel at SOMETHING. No more jack-of-all-trades guys with decent size. They can't catch the fast dudes, can't hurt them, can't score.

I'd be OK with a team made up mostly of Wilsons and Purretus in pretty much any combination :)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, not to say they would veer all the way towards speedster lightweights (like rushing Vrana) and the like but they should learn something each year, right? Based on their changes over time it doesn't suggest they learn fast enough, of course, but if this management is going to be any sort of improvement then they must be flexible and adapt their approach. If they can't do that ahead of the curve or even react properly then they're pretty well screwed.

It's energy and players with high motors that are more effective than simple heaviness. The Caps aren't even supremely heavy to begin with...they're just kind of old and stale up front and their tactics don't help much either.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, not to say they would veer all the way towards speedster lightweights (like rushing Vrana) and the like but they should learn something each year, right? Based on their changes over time it doesn't suggest they learn fast enough, of course, but if this management is going to be any sort of improvement then they must be flexible and adapt their approach. If they can't do that ahead of the curve or even react properly then they're pretty well screwed.

It's energy and players with high motors that are more effective than simple heaviness. The Caps aren't even supremely heavy to begin with...they're just kind of old and stale up front and their tactics don't help much either.

Well I completely agree with that statement.

And no reason why BM shouldn't be able to learn/change with time, I guess we'll just have to see. But short term, I think it's fairly possible that it will get worse before it gets better, as in they will be looking for more players that are "hard to play against", instead of whoever they deemed underpeformed in that regard as their primary role, e.g. Chimera, Fehr, Laich, Beagle.

But at least I would think they hang on to Kuz & Bura, so if/when the swing toward a faster team takes place, they ll have some quality skill to complement.

Ideally, they'll eventually start adding speed while preserving the players who can actually make a real impact with their physicality, like Wilson.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Honestly I don't even know what their philosophy is. Score first and ride the defensive depth and goalie to turtle?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Interesting thing to consider:

What would you give up for Lucic, assuming rumors if his availability aren't total hogwash?

Personally think he gets way too much crap and would be a terrific acquisition given the "heavy" direction the team is going. 26 year old 25/60 player with a huge physical element.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

What would you give up for Lucic, assuming rumors if his availability aren't total hogwash?

Personally think he gets way too much crap and would be a terrific acquisition given the "heavy" direction the team is going. 26 year old 25/60 player with a huge physical element.

Not sure what I'd give up, but a line of Lucic and Wilson together would be a sight to see.

Edit: I imagine, if he's available, Buffalo makes a run. They have the assets and with McEichel guaranteed in Buffalo they have the makings of a quicker turnaround.

What's your max price for him? And what's your line combinations once acquired?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Not sure what I'd give up, but a line of Lucic and Wilson together would be a sight to see.

Edit: I imagine, if he's available, Buffalo makes a run. They have the assets and with McEichel guaranteed in Buffalo they have the makings of a quicker turnaround.

What's your max price for him? And what's your line combinations once acquired?
I'd do any prospect(s) beyond Bura/Kuz and a roster player.

I wonder if something like Vrana + Schmidt/Carrick + Brouwer/Johannson would pique their interest.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Lucic & Wilson would be fun.
How about Sharp?

Let's see how the Caps do against fast teams this year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Isn't he on a pricey contract? Isnt he a reason the Bruins failed? why do the Caps want him? I would trade Laich and a pick for him. I wouldn't want to trade a successful and/or growing piece from the organEYEzation to get him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Isn't he on a pricey contract? Isnt he a reason the Bruins failed? why do the Caps want him? I would trade Laich and a pick for him. I wouldn't want to trade a successful and/or growing piece from the organEYEzation to get him.

He's on $6M per year through next season.

If you're taking that attitude, Bergeron is a reason Boston failed. Why would the Caps want him?

The Caps want him because he's 26, more productive offensively than any Caps winger outside of Ovechkin, and brings a punishing physical element that fits what Trotz seems to want to do.

Lucic himself is still a growing piece. He's more successful than any forward piece on this team outside of 8 and 19.

Why wouldn't the Caps want him?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
He's on $6M per year through next season.

If you're taking that attitude, Bergeron is a reason Boston failed. Why would the Caps want him?

The Caps want him because he's 26, more productive offensively than any Caps winger outside of Ovechkin, and brings a punishing physical element that fits what Trotz seems to want to do.

Lucic himself is still a growing piece. He's more successful than any forward piece on this team outside of 8 and 19.

Why wouldn't the Caps want him?

Other teams hate him, and he has a knack for big time moments. Yeah I'd take him

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Backstrom, Burakovsky and Lucic on your second line and mojo or tbro pushed down to third line. Wowowowowow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad