Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
@ Langway from the other thread

Fixing the forwards:

Trade Laich for a pick
Trade Chimera for a pick
Trade Green's rights for a 2nd
Trade Brouwer for a 1st
Either re-sign Johansson for a year or trade him for picks.
Let Glencross, Ward, Beagle, and maybe Fehr walk.

Ovie-Backstrom-Acquisition
Acquisition/Johansson-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky
Acquisition-Fehr/Acqusition-Wilson
Galiev-Latta-Acquisition

There's cap space, assets and roster spots available if McLellan has the stomach to do it.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Fixing the forwards:

Trade Laich for a pick
Trade Chimera for a pick
Trade Brouwer for a 1st

Galiev-Latta-Acquisition

There's cap space, assets and roster spots available if McLellan has the stomach to do it.

Are there even two legitimate top-six forwards available (for the price they'd need to pay)? I legitimately don't know who the pending UFAs are anymore (unless you're talking potential trade acquisition too).

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Are there even two legitimate top-six forwards available (for the price they'd need to pay)? I legitimately don't know who the pending UFAs are anymore (unless you're talking potential trade acquisition too).

There aren't. The FA class is garbage. But so are the forwards we have. I fully expect them to punt another year of Ovechkin's career.

edit:

Williams and Vermette are at the head of the UFA class.

Potential trade targets - Kessel (barf), potential castoffs from Philadelphia, Carolina, SJ, Boston and Edmonton and cap casualties from Chicago.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm OK with youth and speed filling those gaps going forward if the ship runs aground early this year. Why the hell not. But do we have the coach for that?

Seems like a lot of the same questions cycling over and over. Like our offense.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No, they don't have the coach for that. How many more years does Trotz have left anyway? Ugh. Ample potential for this thing to go off the rails with a poor finish and a clueless off-season.

They very likely would need to trade for forward help. I don't think they'd net a first for Brouwer or a second for Green's rights but they should try to recoup whatever picks they can for what now seems like a pretty useless Glencross acquisition.

Some UFA forward fits: Williams, Stewart, Horcoff, Paille, Upshall, Brodziak, BRichards, Condra, Mitchell, Soderberg, Stempniak, Comeau & Tootoo. Not much that moves the needle and Williams reportedly wants 5x5. No thanks.

If they keep the Leaders of Men under a $70M cap they're left about $5M for a couple forwards and a depth defenseman. That's with letting Green and the rest of their UFAs walk. Again, ugh.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
No, they don't have the coach for that. How many more years does Trotz have left anyway? Ugh. Ample potential for this thing to go off the rails with a poor finish and a clueless off-season.

They very likely would need to trade for forward help. I don't think they'd net a first for Brouwer or a second for Green's rights but they should try to recoup whatever picks they can for what now seems like a pretty useless Glencross acquisition.

Some UFA forward fits: Williams, Stewart, Horcoff, Paille, Upshall, Brodziak, BRichards, Condra, Mitchell, Soderberg, Stempniak, Comeau & Tootoo. Not much that moves the needle and Williams reportedly wants 5x5. No thanks.

If they keep the Leaders of Men under a $70M cap they're left about $5M for a couple forwards and a depth defenseman. That's with letting Green and the rest of their UFAs walk. Again, ugh.

How much are you figuring for Holtby there - 6?

Stewart's the only name on that list with any real talent (other than the very old Richards and Williams). Brodziak would probably be at the top of my list of that bunch, then Soderberg. Horcoff, Upshall, Stempniak, Condra are a fine second tier at the right price I guess, but I don't see any of those guys as better than say Brouwer.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Fixing the forwards:

Trade Laich for a pick
Trade Chimera for a pick
Trade Brouwer for a 1st

Galiev-Latta-Acquisition

nice. that's moving as many as 9 roster players. fully half the current skaters.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
Now, when I see our team in playoff games, our scoring impotence, inability to create scoring chance, IMHO because of roster full of gritty, bottom 6 players, and I am thinking about next season...
And, I would make strong defense, Alzner, Niskanen, Orpik, Carlson, maybe re-sign Green, or move Orlov to right and sign UFA LH big, strong defender (Beauchemin), and I would make one gritty, forechecking, physical checking line and I would let play in top 9 our young skills speed guys like Wilson, Burakovsky, Galiev, maybe Barber or Vrána
And I think these young guys would let more energy and show more skills on the ice like our current players in some games...

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Wanted him at the TDL(if available), but Belesky is someone I'd like as a Ward/Chimera replacement if his salary demands aren't too outrageous.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah. Thats not happening.

Toronto, SJ or Vancouver (if they lose) will likely do something like that....not the Caps.
Probably not nine but if they do lose this series and are a one-line team in the process? It's a bit of a different circumstance with the cap not growing at normal rates. A certain amount of turnover is likely regardless.

I'd guess there will be a movement towards keeping Ward as Trotz really trusts the guy. But the rest of their pending UFAs--Green, Glencross, Gleason, Beagle & Fehr--could be gone. Glencross & Gleason are more clear cut with the rest conditional based on demands. Swap in Grubauer for Peters due to changing waiver status (I think). That's six without beginning to explore any trades, say of Brouwer in particular in order to actually restructure the forwards beyond going younger.

They could conceivably have about $5M to spend on two depth forwards and a depth defenseman after just letting those UFAs go and retaining their RFAs. (That's under a $70M cap.) Again, not nine but still the potential for significant turnover mostly by virtue of raises.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Assuming Fehr is healthy, I keep him, Beagle and Ward. Green if he is willing to take a discount. The rest, not as much.

I am really liking what Latta brings, and Bura seems ready as well. The three "rookies" are conducting well in April.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
lose the series or I find it very hard to believe they run half the skaters off the team. If you think they are a one line team, you would think the Kuznetsov and Burakovsky are your second scoring line. I don't see them bringing in multiple players to fix the one line team thing.

1 guy maybe.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The way they've handled Glencross after his good start, i don't think there is any chance that he'll be back. He scored at nearly PPG rate for first 7 games (4+2) and then was shipped to 4th line for no reason, and it's only gone downhill ever since.

That being said Capitals was never in his original (8-team, i believe) list so i'm not sure it was never an option. Especially for reasonable cost. Lots of good seasons on his resume and still produces points despite smaller role.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Keeping an eye on how the Williams/Kings negotiations go. I imagine they'll get something done, but he'd be a nice option at 1RW.

Eh, I travel quite a bit to LA and have a lot of Kings friends.

Williams is a good player, but the LA fans are pretty sick of him and say he has definitely seemed to digress and is not the player he once was.

Plus, I think we have too many young RW's that are doing well already or will be ready to step in top 6 roles. Burro has proven to do well on Ovi/19's line... Vrana is killing it and will be NHL ready too. Wilson is still young and going to hopefully keep playing bigger roles. Barber will be a NHL player... Brown is capable of being a NHL player... etc.

I don't see how signing a guy who is going to turn 34 this year makes much sense. He's going to want (and get) at least a 3-4 year deal, and we already have too many older guys with questionable contracts (Laich, Orpik, etc). The last thing we need is in two years being filled with such terrible deals it prevents us from keeping our young studs from getting deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad