Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just curious, what would Carrick's projection for you guys be? What would it hypothetically take for Calgary to acquire him, in your opinions?

He has the skills to be a quality PMD/powerplay QB in the NHL. He needs to continue refining his defensive zone game, but what 21 year old defenseman doesn't? Size will never be his strong suit, but there are plenty of small defensemen that are able to make positive contributions out there (Campbell, Enstrom, Krug, Barrie, etc). He's much closer to being NHL ready at this point than he was when he debuted last season.

With Green presumably leaving as a UFA after this season, it seems unlikely that the Capitals would be willing to move Carrick at this time. He's not strictly off limits, but he represents an affordable option to replace Green's role on the 3rd pairing and a portion of his responsibilities on the powerplay. Granted, he's not the only player competing for that roster spot (Orlov, Wey, Bowey, and possibly Kundratek or Oleksy if they're retained).

I don't think the Capitals are going to be openly shopping him around, and it would take a move that would make the Capitals better in the immediate future for them to consider moving him.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think Carrick is worth all that much right now, which is why I'd expect the Caps to use him to sweeten some (bigger) deal, or just to continue developing him as depth.

I have a hard time imagining a one-for-one trade.. maybe if the Caps really liked some sort of great utility player, or a vet D with a few good years left...? But that seems less likely..

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Laich's value for another team is questionable, if he'll continue his current play he will stay most probably.

The bad thing about him is his big contract... But he showed already he can be C/LW for bottom-6. He's leader, he's PK warrior, he doesn't even occupy someone's PP slot anymore.

I think if GMBM didn't CBO him in the summer, he probably hoped for something... Brooks showing just about now. So is there any new factor to BO him?

@Thornton... No way. We are looking at Malkin-lite in Kuz and why would we want Thornton and his big caphit? Backstrom is good enough to be solid #2C :) Along with 2LW Ovechkin.

@Bura - he showed he can elevate his game too. I think there were not much glaring mistakes in few games he's played. Didn't convert, but was a good creative presence for his line. He's playing with Beagle and Brouwer and they aren't getting scored against. I'd say he's lock for top-9 next season depending on some RW flow (maybe top-RW even).

In a light of Trotz playing right wing lock maybe it's better to let all of our finesse wingers to play on the left side: Ovechkin, Johansson, Burakovsky. Just to let them be more offensive. And then slower (grindier, hehe) RWs like Ward and Wilson will play RWs with more defensive responsibilities. That's how Bura could end up on the 3rd line next season, I guess.

Sure wingers to come back: OV (LW), Mojo (LW), Bura (LWRW), Wilson (RW)...

Then there is Barber and Laich and Chimera.

@Chimera - showed he is more than 4th line energy guy. He told that and he backed it up. Props!

So Brouwer (MIA for now), Beagle, Fehr and Ward - is too much.

I remember Knuble got his last 2M contract while being very slow already. So I wouldn't think of Ward as gone just yet. He could stay if there is no some outraging $ demands on his part.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Ward
Johansson-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Laich-Fehr-Wilson
Chimera-Latta-Barber

Beagle -> UFA
Brouwer -> Traded to Siberian Canada

Is there any depth beyond this roster? Brown? Galiev? Not so much, right? That's a minor problem for GMBM. And lots of time to fix it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
brouwer is not going anywhere. I realize you guys don't like him, but listen to the number of times trotz uses brouwer as the good example. last night he sets up alzner on a effort play and takes out da Haan with a hit. he is first pk and game 4 was about the pk. his fo % is 55.6.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Other teams probably prefer Brouwer being out there as much as Trotz. He got one shot in on an unsuspecting player after 4 games of his normal "hits". He's lucky that others picked up the scoring last night or his first 4 games of gooseggs would be drawing more attention.

He's 3rd in SH TOI/GP among forwards, so he's not really first PK. He also has contributed absolutely nothing on a PP that needs its other pieces to pick up the slack when teams overplay Ovie and Nick.

Numbers are fun. Let's find some more numbers. Brouwer's last 33 playoff games. 3g 4a. 7.5 goal pace over 82. 17 points over 82. He's been passed over for 2RW duties by a natural LW who was just about to get run out of town on the rails.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Then there is Barber and Laich and Chimera.

Chimera-Latta-Barber

No way do I believe they can just pencil in Barber for a role in the NHL next season. If he completely shows he is ready for the NHL in camp and earns a spot great but I 100% feel he needs a year in Hershey before contending for an NHL spot.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Considering how well he plays this time of year...its ****ing hard to deny the guy what he wants. There are all kinds of reasons to move on from him....but man does he get it done in the playoffs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Something similar to what he has now makes sense to me, but on a shorter term(2 years).

Gotta admit, if Ward likes it here and wanted something reasonable, e.g. 2/6, I'd take him. He really is a good playoff guy.

A 2 year, ~$3M per deal would be great for the club, less so for the player. The same reason that you guys only want to give him 2 years is exactly why he'll be looking to maximize the total value of his next contract (which typically means getting additional years). Even on a short deal, a player coming off of 19 and 25 goal seasons is likely to fetch more than $3M per.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The problem with Ward is that he should appeal to both rebuilding teams -leadership, plays the game the right way (lol), he's smart, seems to be a locker room guy, and he'll appeal to competitive teams because of his well documented history of raising his game in the postseason.

I can see him choosing between many attractive offers this offseason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Other teams probably prefer Brouwer being out there as much as Trotz. He got one shot in on an unsuspecting player after 4 games of his normal "hits". He's lucky that others picked up the scoring last night or his first 4 games of gooseggs would be drawing more attention.

He's 3rd in SH TOI/GP among forwards, so he's not really first PK. He also has contributed absolutely nothing on a PP that needs its other pieces to pick up the slack when teams overplay Ovie and Nick.

Numbers are fun. Let's find some more numbers. Brouwer's last 33 playoff games. 3g 4a. 7.5 goal pace over 82. 17 points over 82. He's been passed over for 2RW duties by a natural LW who was just about to get run out of town on the rails.

I have suggested trading brouwer for most of the season to make room up the lineup for Wilson. I am just pointing out that Trotz likes him. I would not count on him getting traded.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I have suggested trading brouwer for most of the season to make room up the lineup for Wilson. I am just pointing out that Trotz likes him. I would not count on him getting traded.
I thought you were advocating keeping Brouwer in the lineup because he's a good guy and had one good game. I think his negatives outweigh the positives in a general sense, but at this point the roster is set, and if they can continue to afford pushing him down the lineup, he can be useful, albeit unproductive, in his current role.

I'd love to see them move him off the PP. He has done nothing to justify his role there. I'd like to see Ward out there, since I think he'd be more productive, and doing so would allow them to keep the lines together once they get back to even strength.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Trotz is going to have to part with players he likes either way. It's just a matter of priorities and whether that happens by virtue of players signing elsewhere or being dealt to fit others in.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trotz is going to have to part with players he likes either way. It's just a matter of priorities and whether that happens by virtue of players signing elsewhere or being dealt to fit others in.

This must be something he's used to after all the years in Nashville with a low budget. The question is, do he and BMac have what it takes to make the right choices.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought you were advocating keeping Brouwer in the lineup because he's a good guy and had one good game. I think his negatives outweigh the positives in a general sense,......

No. Trotz by all signs Isnt going to move him. Look at last night. The only forward that played more than Brouwer were 8, 19 and 42. for the series only those 3 have more ice time than 20.

that just doesn't point to, "his negatives outweight his positives" for the guy that is making the calls.

Trotz is going to lose players he likes. My view is that a player under contract or under control is more likely to stay than a pending ufa.

It will be interesting to see if the Caps trade Brouwer or Johansson for nothing in order to keep a Ward or Fehr who they would lose for nothing. Its essentially the same trade off.

For me it still makes sense to move Brouw, and keep Ward going year to year if possible. Moving Laich purely because of his contract make sense if it can be done.

Realistically, Kuz is established now. Wilson needs space in the top 3 lines and Burt will be playing everyday next year. I don't think Trotz will be as reluctant to use 65 with 92 next season. I expect Galiev to get the Bura treatment next season without the Hershey time if he is no long waiver excempt.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wilson needs space in the top 3 lines

Not until he earns it. The way he impacts the game now is fine in limited ice time. If he shows more offensive insticts and potential, then he can get more ice time. He has done nothing to force anyone out of the lineup ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad