Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLV: Caps Trade Deadline 2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Doesn't matter if Ward is useful for a playoff run this year or not... if this management balked at a 1st + Ward for Sharp deal, they are idiots. Ovechkin/Backstrom should request a trade right away.

It certainly does matter. How does it not matter? And because we didn't trade for a 33 year old winger with a 6 mil cap hit whose production and play fell off so drastically this season that he was demoted out of the top 6 they should demand a trade? What a shortsighted and hyperbolic comment.

Also, the article said the price included Ward + 1st. It didn't say the price was Ward + 1st, so there could have been additional pieces they asked for as well. And why by retail when you can get it on clearance in a few months?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't believe they could have added Sharp, Glencross, and Gleason and just shipped out Ward and Hillen.

We know that the Caps had been in the hunt for a LW. First the reported interest in Evander Kane, once that fell through then as we approached the TDL we started to here about the Caps interest in Glencross and that he was willing to expand the list of teams to be traded to, then out of the blue the Friday before the TDL the Sharp rumor surfaces. Had the Caps acquired Sharp, they would have fulfilled the hunt for the LW and would not have pursued Glencross, but as you also noted they would not have been able to make it work with the cap if they tried to acquire both Sharp and Glencross.

What I'd like to know is what BMAC was offering the Jets for Kane.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What I'd like to know is what BMAC was offering the Jets for Kane.

Once Kane decided to have season ending surgery I would like to think the Caps were no longer interested in acquiring him until the offseason. They were in no position to remove a roster piece or pieces for someone who was not going to help them this season IMO.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Once Kane decided to have season ending surgery I would like to think the Caps were no longer interested in acquiring him until the offseason. They were in no position to remove a roster piece or pieces for someone who was not going to help them this season IMO.

I'm not so sure about that. Kane's attraction besides being a physical power forward is that he still has 3 more years remaining on his current contract but don't know if the impending surgery was a deal killer. As with Kane, Sharp's attraction is that he has two more years remaining on his contract, BMAC apparently would like to not have to revisit the LW issue for a few years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps said Glencross and Gleason were players they'd targeted a month before the deadline. Getting Sharp somehow may not have changed that, and we don't know how they'd deploy either.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Kane's attraction besides being a physical power forward is that he still has 3 more years remaining on his current contract but don't know if the impending surgery was a deal killer. As with Kane, Sharp's attraction is that he has two more years remaining on his contract, BMAC apparently would like to not have to revisit the LW issue for a few years.

Sure but do you really think they were going to take the decision to clearly make themselves worse this season to be able to add Kane for next season and beyond? No way IMO.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Caps said Glencross and Gleason were players they'd targeted a month before the deadline. Getting Sharp somehow may not have changed that, and we don't know how they'd deploy either.

But I'm sure they had other targets also but didn't acquire them. Just because guys were on their radar didn't mean they were hell bent on acquiring them IMO.

I'm just saying they couldn't have added all 3 without moving out more salary than just Ward and Hillen I believe.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't really know enough about how good Sharp is right now... if he's a legit 2C, then Ward+1st sounds like a no-brainer.

But, from that article this price sounds more like conjecture, rather than actual info from a source.. so I don't know that it means a whole lot. If the price on Sharp was low, how come nobody else was willing to pay it? Etc..

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
If true then this is a good example of what I was talking about regarding choosing to not make that 3rd move rather than there being absolutely nothing "sane' that could be done. Caps just didn't like that price. Some would disagree with the value. Definitely not irrational or impossible. They have to own the situation.

Sharp wasn't traded... nobody else who was interested wanted to pay that price either.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't really know enough about how good Sharp is right now... if he's a legit 2C, then Ward+1st sounds like a no-brainer.

But, from that article this price sounds more like conjecture, rather than actual info from a source.. so I don't know that it means a whole lot. If the price on Sharp was low, how come nobody else was willing to pay it? Etc..

Sharp plays wing.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Boswell with some interesting info about how good this Caps team is relative to other Caps teams of the last 20+ years:

"But here’s a novel notion: Let’s not assume it’s “in character” for these Caps to fold. Right now, they have the second-best SRS (+0.42) of any Caps team since 1992-93. Only 2009-10 was better. Ovechkin, who may win his fourth MVP, leads the NHL in goals and is tied with teammate Nick Backstrom for the league lead in scoring. Goalie Braden Holtby is second in shutouts."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/capitals-are-choking-dogs-no-more/2015/03/06/c3e7c138-c437-11e4-ad5c-3b8ce89f1b89_story.html

Just to summarize I'd say it gives evidence that the Caps are close enough to go into "win now" mode, and since we opted out of that or hedged from that I'll maintain that the Caps would have been wise to go the other way and build for the next two years by using the inflated sellers market. However, I wouldn't argue that the Caps should have sold all their valuable FA's, perhaps one of green, ward or mojo going out would have been best, not arguing they should have sold all of them off.

In the end, I'd say with the current situation is still favorable, we've retained our blue chips and first rounders and have a viable shot this very year. Ultimately, I'm bullish on our chances in the near term, I'd like for them to pay to get over the hump if given the chance again soon.

Go Caps. Just ****ing win....

Last edited:

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Who could the caps get in the summer to score some goals? Any UFAs that could help the team? Or do you expect the team to trade away assets to acquire more secondary scoring power?

IMO, they need to trade away Laich for a bag of tires , MoJo/BRO as part of a deal and let Glenx, Geen, Gleason walk. Then sign or trade one top liner to play on the first or second line, either a winger or center like sharp or jvr or soderbug. We trade away one of the kids too in order to aquire a great scorer like JVR. That should allow enough money to give Holtby and Kuznetsov the raise they deserve.

Ov-Backs-Kuznetsov/JVR/
Bura - Kuz/Sharp/Soderburg- Brouwer/JVR
Chimera - frht- Ward
Wilson - ltta - beagle

Clarson - Orpik
Alzer - Niskanin
Orlov - shilling

I'd trade brouwer, bowey and a second for JVR
I'd trade MoJo, First/Orlov for Sharp.

So the ideal team next year from mpov

Alexander the Great - Nickolas the Quiet - kuzy
Burakovsky -- Sharpe ---- JVR
Chimer - ---- Fehr----- Wardo
Will ----------- Latta----- the dog

Orpik -- Carlson
Niski -- Alzie
Orlov/Shilling- cheap vet UFA like gleason

CUP!

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Nothing like a game where Mojo, Ward, Green and GlenX play amazing to make me look like an *******...

Hope these guys can sack up and seize this moment...

The SC is there for the taking if they play their balls off...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Reading the McDavid threads on Trade Forum is worth it if you are looking for laughs. :laugh:

I didn't realise he was undisputed best player in the NHL in 5 years, worth more than Giroux and Simmonds combined and easily worth more than Evgeni Malkin. This is even more ridiculous than few years ago when NHL analysts were saying that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the worse version of Wayne Gretzky because of his great hockey IQ.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Boswell with some interesting info about how good this Caps team is relative to other Caps teams of the last 20+ years:

"But here’s a novel notion: Let’s not assume it’s “in character†for these Caps to fold. Right now, they have the second-best SRS (+0.42) of any Caps team since 1992-93. Only 2009-10 was better. Ovechkin, who may win his fourth MVP, leads the NHL in goals and is tied with teammate Nick Backstrom for the league lead in scoring. Goalie Braden Holtby is second in shutouts."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/capitals-are-choking-dogs-no-more/2015/03/06/c3e7c138-c437-11e4-ad5c-3b8ce89f1b89_story.html

Just to summarize I'd say it gives evidence that the Caps are close enough to go into "win now" mode, and since we opted out of that or hedged from that I'll maintain that the Caps would have been wise to go the other way and build for the next two years by using the inflated sellers market. However, I wouldn't argue that the Caps should have sold all their valuable FA's, perhaps one of green, ward or mojo going out would have been best, not arguing they should have sold all of them off.

In the end, I'd say with the current situation is still favorable, we've retained our blue chips and first rounders and have a viable shot this very year. Ultimately, I'm bullish on our chances in the near term, I'd like for them to pay to get over the hump if given the chance again soon.

Go Caps. Just ****ing win....

The Simple Rating System that Boswell references in his column, how do they determine strength of schedule as a value? That is how do you give weight or value to the schedule portion? Also, the goal differential is that the overall season goal differential they are referencing?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Reading the McDavid threads on Trade Forum is worth it if you are looking for laughs. :laugh:

I didn't realise he was undisputed best player in the NHL in 5 years, worth more than Giroux and Simmonds combined and easily worth more than Evgeni Malkin. This is even more ridiculous than few years ago when NHL analysts were saying that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the worse version of Wayne Gretzky because of his great hockey IQ.

The few times I've seen McDavid play he was unimpressive. I saw more out of Tavares and Eberle at that age.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
The thing I hate about these Canadian prospects is Ryan Murray is the only one who has played at the world championships and Canada takes some really ****** rosters a #1 pick should have no problem making.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Who could the caps get in the summer to score some goals? Any UFAs that could help the team? Or do you expect the team to trade away assets to acquire more secondary scoring power?

IMO, they need to trade away Laich for a bag of tires , MoJo/BRO as part of a deal and let Glenx, Geen, Gleason walk. Then sign or trade one top liner to play on the first or second line, either a winger or center like sharp or jvr or soderbug. We trade away one of the kids too in order to aquire a great scorer like JVR. That should allow enough money to give Holtby and Kuznetsov the raise they deserve.

Ov-Backs-Kuznetsov/JVR/
Bura - Kuz/Sharp/Soderburg- Brouwer/JVR
Chimera - frht- Ward
Wilson - ltta - beagle

Clarson - Orpik
Alzer - Niskanin
Orlov - shilling

I'd trade brouwer, bowey and a second for JVR
I'd trade MoJo, First/Orlov for Sharp.

So the ideal team next year from mpov

Alexander the Great - Nickolas the Quiet - kuzy
Burakovsky -- Sharpe ---- JVR
Chimer - ---- Fehr----- Wardo
Will ----------- Latta----- the dog

Orpik -- Carlson
Niski -- Alzie
Orlov/Shilling- cheap vet UFA like gleason

CUP!

As I stated in the other thread (Sabres GDT), I'd do this--

My dream lineup, which would make me happiest? During this off-season --
Trade Bura and MaJo for Pavelski. Trade Laich for a can of corn.
Resign Glencross, Gleason, Fehr, Beagle. Sign a vet 3rd/4th line winger for cheap.
Let Ward, and Green walk.
Feed the can of corn to Kuznetsov, so he gets bigger /stronger and can handle harder board work as a front line winger.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Glenncross-Pavelski-Brouwer
Chimera-Fehr-FA vet
Latta-Beagle-Wilson
Brown/O'Brien

Carlson-Orpik
Niskanen-Alzner
Gleason-Orlov
Schmidt

It should be close to the 70m cap mark, I'd wager

InfernalDark*

Get a better backup goalie.

Get a 2C.

Get a winger who can score.

The end.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
We are thin at C.

Backstrom is one the best centers in the NHL this regular season thank Zeus. I expect he will somewhat less effective in the playoffs because the opposing teams will be better and the grind of the physical play is likely to slow him down. If we had good answers at 2C and 3C it'd take a load off of Backs.

Playoff warrior NHL centers are hard to come by, of course. We need a John Tonelli, Joel Otto or Dale Hunter type. Maybe two of em'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad