Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLV: Caps Trade Deadline 2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Can anyone comment on Trotz' playoff coaching? I expect will make smart adjustments. That'd be a major improvement over the last batch of Caps coaches. BB was a stubborn fool in the playoffs.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Holtby's monthly splits:

December: 2.13 GAA in 13 games
January: 2.07 GAA in 12 games
February: 2.11 GAA in 11 games
March: 1.68 GAA in 3 games

Very, very possible, even likely, that they maintain that short of scoring defense into the playoffs.

This weekend I'm going to take a look at the extent to which we're beating up on bad teams both offensively and defensively.

We have pretty numbers on both sides of the puck this season and I'm curious how those numbers look against the playoff field.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
This weekend I'm going to take a look at the extent to which we're beating up on bad teams both offensively and defensively.

We have pretty numbers on both sides of the puck this season and I'm curious how those numbers look against the playoff field.

Against the East overall: 2.02 GAA

Isles: 2.62 in 4 games
Rags: 4 in 1 game
Pens: 1.27 in 4 games
Habs: 0.94 in 2 games
Bolts: 3.04 in 3 games
Bruins: 0.00 in 1 game
Wings: 2.51 in 2 games

So there's some beating up on bad teams and some beating up on good teams defensively.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Also, for playoff purposes, 4-on-4 OT goals and shootout goals should probably be discounted.

So, you can knock two goals off of the Isles (1 shootout loss and 1 OT loss)and two goals off Montreal (1 shootout loss and 1 OT loss).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-p-k-subban-now-another-level/
6. Chicago’s Patrick Sharp also defended himself against ugly Internet rumours that popped up amidst reports he was going to be traded. Sharp’s contract carries a clause that, if the Blackhawks want to trade him, they can ask for 10 places he will go to and he must submit within 48 hours, or he can be sent anywhere.

That didn’t happen. What is possible is the team got calls — from Washington, among them — but never took it to Sharp, because the ask was high and potential partners didn’t like the request. It is believed, for example, the price for the Capitals included Joel Ward and a first-rounder, too much for their taste. Chicago is going all out to win again before the Kane and Toews extensions kick-in, so don’t be surprised if this is re-visited in the summer.

Halpysback*

I know Sharp's having a down year, but they balked at Ward + 1st? Srsly?

There's a good chance Ward has a better POs than Sharp so it's not all that surprising.

Should have forced chicago to take something like Johansson + 1st

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ward in not an insignificant piece for a playoff run.

If Sharp were having a Sharp year, it's a no-brainer. But Ward is out-scoring Sharp in the goal department this season.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If they're not in a rush, there is a good chance the price drops further when Chicago's cap issues come to a head again this summer. I'm skeptical, but it could be their logic.

Yeah but a lot more suitors IMO as immediate cap implications aren't nearly as much of a concern.

Sharp has a $5.9 mil cap hit so would shipping out Ward alone and sending down whoever have been enough? Assume no Gleason and Glencross also I guess.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Doesn't matter if Ward is useful for a playoff run this year or not... if this management balked at a 1st + Ward for Sharp deal, they are idiots. Ovechkin/Backstrom should request a trade right away.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Doesn't matter if Ward is useful for a playoff run this year or not... if this management balked at a 1st + Ward for Sharp deal, they are idiots. Ovechkin/Backstrom should request a trade right away.

It certainly does matter if Ward is useful in a playoff run. What if this year's production is the new norm for Sharp? Who would the idiots be then?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Halpysback*

In that case they are idiots for not trading Alzner for Jagr. I mean, it's JAROMIR FREAKING JAGR

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If true then this is a good example of what I was talking about regarding choosing to not make that 3rd move rather than there being absolutely nothing "sane' that could be done. Caps just didn't like that price. Some would disagree with the value. Definitely not irrational or impossible. They have to own the situation.

I don't believe they could have added Sharp, Glencross, and Gleason and just shipped out Ward and Hillen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese