Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIV (TDL Poll: Who Goes?) **MOD WARNING POST #547**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
becomes more confusing by the day as to what view to take

a week or 2 ago when our form was better and all the trades ahead, no doubt I wanted to keep Green and grab a difference maker or 2 for a run

our form dips, the DL gets closer, names are taken off the board, it becomes more and more likely we won't get any real difference makers ... so setting up for the next 2 years might be more prudent

and as if the brass are going to tell the truth to the media ... Green surely must be available for the right deal ... they are assessing the roster all the time - we have been told often

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is Green a difference maker in our lineup? I am not seeing it.
I'm not sure they know the answer to that question other than that he's vaguely skilled and they need vaguely skilled hockey players.

Particularly when he's taken off of the top PP unit for a better, more simple and sturdy fit in Carlson you've got to question the fit. If that's not his role then is he really worth keeping? Maybe he's right back there tomorrow vs. CAR but against more aggressive PKs he's going to have the same issues all over again (just like they all do when they're not dictating the tempo and forced to make quicker decisions). You've got to figure that any competent opposition coaching staff in the playoffs will shade over to Ovechkin and force the point man and the half wall to beat them. Green doesn't help you do that any more than Carlson or even Niskanen would. So even in the puncher's chance line of thinking, keeping Green only makes sense if the opposition is poorly coached or maybe you think he has some great 5-on-5 play in him. Hence maybe getting a better 3LD but the problem has never been his partner. It's always been between Green's ears (not an uncommon problem).

If they do nothing at all then it suggests the answers are already there. If they're already there then the coaching staff has to do a far better job of getting it out of them based on recent performances. It seems more likely, based on their typical assessment, that at least Burakovsky will get thrown under the bus in favor of more of a veteran player when their problems are far more widespread than him or the rookies overall. I don't think they have the honesty to trade Green and have a truly comprehensive understanding of where they are as a team.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Still on the fence about Green. I feel like he's been sandbagged with Hillen for half the season and it's hard to find what he brings (on a good day). It would really have to be a roster player swap for player(s) that would really fit the system.

Unfortunately, the list of solid veteran LHD on the market is pretty small. Maybe that game-changing Florida acquisition of Jagr will frighten Philly into giving up their playoff hopes.

I'll also say that I don't trust Burakovsky in the playoff crucible based on what I've seen. Chris Stewart might be a target, although if Ken Hitchcock didn't want to retain him, maybe he's not a Trotz kinda guy.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
What a relief. No more worries about getting Jagr. Now to just survive and hope we don't get Bozak.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How do we know you're not lying about that?

537.gif

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I watched a good chunk of the Buf/Van game tonight.

I know Tinner hates him...but Stewart as a rental...man it's tempting. He's like Chimera speed...but better hands. If his motor is running for the playoffs...

If they lose out on Glencross/Cole...might be an ok fall back plan depending on the price.

Also watched some of Philly/Toronto. No Bozak please.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
Realistic trades

Laich, Galiev, + 2nd for Elias

Chimmer + 3rd for Fleishman (salary retained)

Green to ANA for Theodore and !st

BUF 3rd for cheap veteran 3D

Better team, Less salary next year, and Theodore + 1st

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I'd really love to see them try out Laich at 6D alongside Green. He hasn't been effective offensively this year and Latta could pick up his role while we try him out. Who knows...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Like Sekera to LA seemed to be, i think Vermette to Chicago is only a matter of time now.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'd really love to see them try out Laich at 6D alongside Green. He hasn't been effective offensively this year and Latta could pick up his role while we try him out. Who knows...

Or dump him and Green and get a real ****ing D?

Even marriages can end. These are mercenary pro athletes.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Realistic trades

Laich, Galiev, + 2nd for Elias

Chimmer + 3rd for Fleishman (salary retained)

Green to ANA for Theodore and !st

BUF 3rd for cheap veteran 3D

Better team, Less salary next year, and Theodore + 1st

Deal on Elias
Flash > Chimera, but they don't really play the same role. Pass.
Pass on Green trade

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If we don't really do much besides minor tinkering I think we may have another McPhee on our hands...

...or perhaps there truly is never anything palatable out there for us at the deadline and something more legitimate is simply the Capitals' White Rabbit...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am afraid we are what we are. All this talk of selling or buying...may just be nada.

I'd be happy with another middle 6 forward OR a solid vet bottom pairing D.

Both would be ice cream on blueberry pie.

I'm feeling you bro. The prices, our cap situation and the value of this upcoming draft, the fact we need to rebuild our farm system, and that we are a good team as is seem to suggest we aren't going all out for marginal upgrades which seem to be whats realistically available.

I watched a good chunk of the Buf/Van game tonight.

I know Tinner hates him...but Stewart as a rental...man it's tempting. He's like Chimera speed...but better hands. If his motor is running for the playoffs...

If they lose out on Glencross/Cole...might be an ok fall back plan depending on the price.

Also watched some of Philly/Toronto. No Bozak please.

Agreed on Bozak.

Well...if we trade for Stewart I'll be one of his biggest supporters. In fact I'll support anyone who plays for us. I do have faith in our direction and if the brass feels he fits that then so be it. I heard he had a good game last night. His consistentcy is whats in question.

If I were to lose my mind and go crazy here is what I would envision (now..I'm not crazy just yet..I think...):

We trade MJ to Dallas for Cole (50%) retained and a 2nd.

We take said 2nd along with another mid round pick + Erskine/Hillen and send to Colorado for Hejda (with some retention depending on his salary)

Then we take our 3rd along with another mid round pick/Schilling + Volpatti and send to Calgary for Glencross.

I don't know if those teams do the deals.

I don't know if its a good idea to lose a critical vested player like MJ.

I don't know if the salaries work out.

I do know there would be 3 roster spots going out and 3 coming in (or close).

I do know we'd be even more abrasive up front and shore up the 3rd pair.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the under radar move is to upgrade Peters, maybe even as a priority above other deals. If we are only tinkering which will likely be the case since blockbusters are rare, a G may be our biggest add. We have rolled 3G quite a few times.

What likely impedes this team more going forward, Schmidt and Hillen at 3LD, or Peters. A 3LD is a 3LD, they are all largely the same. At least they play. Backup goalies are often forced into action in the first round.

I am not sure Peters even qualifies as a viable backup goalie. At least our 3LDs get shifts, and not see Hershey guys called up when their shift is next.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I think the under radar move is to upgrade Peters, maybe even as a priority above other deals. If we are only tinkering which will likely be the case since blockbusters are rare, a G may be our biggest add. We have rolled 3G quite a few times.

What likely impedes this team more going forward, Schmidt and Hillen at 3LD, or Peters. A 3LD is a 3LD, they are all largely the same. At least they play. Backup goalies are often forced into action in the first round.

I am not sure Peters even qualifies as a viable backup goalie. At least our 3LDs get shifts, and not see Hershey guys called up when their shift is next.

I think Grubi is as good as if not better than any backup we could obtain

He is still in Hershey to stay sharp, he will be on the bench for finals surely

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well...if we trade for Stewart I'll be one of his biggest supporters. In fact I'll support anyone who plays for us. I do have faith in our direction and if the brass feels he fits that then so be it. I heard he had a good game last night. His consistentcy is whats in question.

They have (pretty cool) scout tracker thread on the Sabres forum, and seems like Caps stopped scouting the Sabres after Stafford was moved to Winnipeg. Been present at just one of their games since and that propably had more to do with the other team (Devils) involved in that game. Nothing really to indicate that Caps have any interest in Chris Stewart. Which makes sense considering his well-known attitude issues.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Grubi is as good as if not better than any backup we could obtain

He is still in Hershey to stay sharp, he will be on the bench for finals surely

I guess, but gone is the ability for any mid game changes. And what happens to Hershey should we need Grubbs?

I just can't recall a worse backup G, ever. If all teams could just dial down to the AHL, why even have well paid / viable backups?

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
They have (pretty cool) scout tracker thread on the Sabres forum, and seems like Caps stopped scouting the Sabres after Stafford was moved to Winnipeg. Been present at just one of their games since and that propably had more to do with the other team (Devils) involved in that game. Nothing really to indicate that Caps have any interest in Chris Stewart. Which makes sense considering his well-known attitude issues.

Cool good info trick.

Glencross and Cole are the names being floated around anyhow and they are better players regardless.

The question to me is who the Caps are looking at for the D. They clearly are looking for a 6 Dman but I have not heard any names from the media. I know Hejda but that seemed like more fan speculation.

I guess, but gone is the ability for any mid game changes. And what happens to Hershey should be need Grubbs?

I just can't recall a worse backup G, ever. If all teams could just dial down to the AHL, why even have well paid / viable backups?

RH

We have far greater needs in the top 9 and the 6Dman. No chance we spend precious resources and what little cap space we have on a backup goalie who most likely would be coming in at mop up time anyhow.

I agree Grubauer would be our #1 choice if Holtby goes down.

Peters hasn't been good this year but its been an off year for him. I'd stick with him since he's cheap, we have Grubauer and we have greater needs elsewhere.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Crazy thought, just spitballing, floating it out there....imagine if Wilson...played defense.

He'd probably have to work on his skating a bit more, but good lord. You want Scott Stevens level punishment from your d-men, you got it.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
i see your crazy thought, and add another spitball

i was thinking about keeping Holtby as cheap as possible for as long as possible ... and then shipping him off in a big trade for a very nice piece

Grubi to #1 and cheap
find another backup

there i've said it ... just not sure about the value in paying goalies a lot

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The Caps are at the same place as they were in 2012 as they approached the TDL and then thereafter. Semin/Wideman were pending UFAs and GMGM knew he was not going to resign them but he still chose to stand pat and not reap picks/prospects from moving them at the 12 TDL. Subsequently before the draft he moves Eakin/2nd for Ribiero. Thereafter, he had to be reading the Caps HF Boards and the clamor of "do something" as they approached the 2013 TDL, he does something and makes the infamous trade of Forsberg for Erat. All of this occurred within the last 3 years. Just imagine what this team would look like now if he had moved those two valuable FAs at the time and what they might of been able to do with that haul not to mention what the team would look like if they had not made the Forsberg/Eakin trades.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Forsberg
Kane (acquired via assets from Semin/Wideman trades along with MOJO) - ROR (acquired for Kuznetsov/Orlov) - Brouwer
Laich - Eakin - Fehr
Chimera - Beagle - Ward
Wilson and Burakovsky would be playing the entire season in Hershey and developing.

If this happened there would not be a need to discuss Mike Green now and what to do with him rather the focus would only be on finding that 2nd line LW to replace Kane while he's on LTIR.

You can say the East is wide open all you want, I don't see it that way. The Rangers made it to the finals last season and they appear to be just as good this season, just don't see the Caps getting by a team like that. So because we didn't move Semin/Wideman for assets in '12 we're now facing a similar situation with probably our two most valuable/tradeable UFA assets of Mike Green and Joel Ward. Neither will be wearing Caps sweaters in October so they should move them now and reap the assets that they bring back. Those should be the only trades they should make and then just roll with the team as is and let the utes get playoff experience.
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Burakovsky
MAJO - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Laich - Beagle - Fehr
Chimera - Latta - Wilson
Orpik - Carlson
Alzner - Niskanen
Schmidt/Schilling - Hillen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad