Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIV (TDL Poll: Who Goes?) **MOD WARNING POST #547**

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
So Clarkson was actually available for all but free, we have a gritty top line RW hole and GMBM didn't make a move :facepalm:

I am assuming this is a joke. Please, please, please tell me this is a joke. One of the worst contracts in NHL history and a truly awful player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I both agree and disagree.

On one hand, the poll is pretty ridiculous without knowing what assets they're getting back.
On the other hand, if it was "willing to give away," I would have checked every box aside of "nobody."

The last poll was about who we'd want to come in. This one is about who we'd want to go out. Neither lists both at the same time. That would be incredibly cumbersome and due to space limitations satisfy exactly nobody.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I wish the poll was who should the Caps be willing to give away. There are a lot of guys I think should be available, but obviously I don't want to trade all of them. Don't really know how to narrow it down.

Agreed. I didn't vote Burakovsky/Wilson/Bowey/etc because I'd LIKE to keep them. Willing though, yes.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I wish the poll was who should the Caps be willing to give away. There are a lot of guys I think should be available, but obviously I don't want to trade all of them. Don't really know how to narrow it down.

I would tick off about 15 boxes which I'd be willing to trade, but clearly not all of them at once

sorry, don't like the poll at all ... makes no sense

so I'll just tick Mojo and call it a day

EDIT : 18 options actually

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Agreed. I didn't vote Burakovsky/Wilson/Bowey/etc because I'd LIKE to keep them. Willing though, yes.

This seems rather pointless, though. If we don't know the return then just about every player is probably someone we'd be "willing" to trade depending on what comes back. In that case you'd be voting for nearly every asset we have.

A poll where you pick a few options is better than one where you select every option except for a few players, and those are probably the same for almost everyone.

w/e. Everyone's a critic. Don't like the poll, don't vote. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I doubt there will be morale loss in the locker room if Green is traded and then another vet D brought in. That doesn't sound like "we don't want to compete", just "Green was not good enough for our plan".

If he's just traded and there is Carrick in his place - then maybe. If he is gone and say ZMichalek is in - it's OK.

Trade the bum!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What would Green fetch, a mid to late 1st? A 2nd and a top prospect? What is his value as a pending UFA?

I do think BMac is trying to make some big things happen. Of course George would tell us there were no trades to be had, prices were too high etc. Things are happening quick. Monday may be slow.

I may be alone but think adding a bottom pair LD is not going to do dick to help us. That is actually a position of strength. We dominate at 3LD. Hillen Schmidt Schilling and Orlov are likely better than anything BM is going to bring in. Schmiddy gets healthy, the other 3 are backup.

Our problems are up front. Sure trading Green makes a hole but not if a Dman comes back in another deal.

I have to stick to my guns and say Green gets traded, if only its Me and THN saying it. George was a tinkerbell. BMac has higher sights and you gotta give to get. Green pots us a top pick at minimum and a ton of cap room.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Interest in Green from other teams seems to be fading, though, not sure why.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so Caps trade Green to a competitive team (eg. Detroit, LA) for a 1st round pick + prospect. Then turn around and trade our two first round draft picks and a mid grade prospect (eg. Bowey) to San Jose for Pavelski. Make sense or should I switch to decaf?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Trade for:
Semin, salary retained.
(order a new wrist if needed)
Fleischmann, salary retained.
Jeff Schultz -- to partner with Green.
The effects on the fabric of space and time should be sufficient to ensure that Ovechkin will score on his next Game 7 breakaway against Fleury.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Ok, so Caps trade Green to a competitive team (eg. Detroit, LA) for a 1st round pick + prospect. Then turn around and trade our two first round draft picks and a mid grade prospect (eg. Bowey) to San Jose for Pavelski. Make sense or should I switch to decaf?

1 switch to decaf
2 put the Xbox controller down

Now I understand that from a potential talent trade it's fantastic for San Jose but I just don't see them giving away their best player for futures when they are trying to make the playoffs, would have to add a roster player on top of you offer for them to even consider

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Something like 13 trades in 2015 already with most of those in the last 2 weeks. Come Monday we may be staring at a blank trade tracker.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'd send Wilson to Boston for Eriksson, honestly. They probably would like this type of player, and there could be a trade maybe. Eriksson may be not available till draft, perhaps. And it's probably 1st+ if not for Wilson.

Prospects of Lupul are terrifying. That would mean minus Laich (as salary out), plus injury-prone forward, still no additional C and 3 more years of Lupul. Do not want.

Glencross and Cole don't change much in top-6.

Fleichmann? Even with retained salary - is the same thing as Cole/Glencross, just another hole getting a bit better, but he's slated to be hemmed in our zone. Doubt that.

There is still Vermette, and he's certainly what cures our problems to some degree. 1st+ too. I'd dump Green to pay the price for Vermette, and trade for 3RD with low picks/prospects. That will keep #1st for us and make the roster more balanced.

Burakuz aren't ready, it's obvious. We have enough pieces to get cheaper rentals but need cap space... Laich or Green has to go right now to make room.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
trade Green for a 1st + 3rd ?

trade 2 of our 3rds for Petry and Hejda ... not a terrible 3rd pairing at all

I think our D for the playoffs is decent, while having more space and better picks come draft day and for re-signing

I don't know if I actually do this, but I think about it

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'd send Wilson to Boston for Eriksson, honestly. They probably would like this type of player, and there could be a trade maybe. Eriksson may be not available till draft, perhaps. And it's probably 1st+ if not for Wilson.

Prospects of Lupul are terrifying. That would mean minus Laich (as salary out), plus injury-prone forward, still no additional C and 3 more years of Lupul. Do not want.

Glencross and Cole don't change much in top-6.

Fleichmann? Even with retained salary - is the same thing as Cole/Glencross, just another hole getting a bit better, but he's slated to be hemmed in our zone. Doubt that.

There is still Vermette, and he's certainly what cures our problems to some degree. 1st+ too. I'd dump Green to pay the price for Vermette, and trade for 3RD with low picks/prospects. That will keep #1st for us and make the roster more balanced.

Burakuz aren't ready, it's obvious. We have enough pieces to get cheaper rentals but need cap space... Laich or Green has to go right now to make room.

Seems to me that somebody like Glencross is the most likely -- BM can imitate activity and not give up anything risky. And/or a depth defenseman.

Eriksson for Wilson? Would be ok, if Eriksson can be a legit top-6 presence.

Though honestly, my fear/suspicion is that the Caps' management is mostly interested in "heavy game" players..

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Didn't BMac already say Green isn't going anywhere unless it's essentially a blockbuster?

Why are we still saying Green for picks?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If we add nothing, is it still wise to retain Green for our annual punchers chance?

Sure, its up for debate. "The East is wide open" but maybe its more wide open for like teams that have more cap space. Or for teams with a better balance between forwards and Dmen to be able to play any style. So maybe its not as "open" as we think.

To do damage in the playoffs we will need Ovi to be a monster / get PP goals, and we may need to win games 2-1. People complain when they see BT turtling but how BMac built us so far, its who we are. Overloaded at D, plus Ovi and Nick. Is Green a difference maker in our lineup? I am not seeing it.

Our offense is predicated on Ovi on the PP, not Green and the breakout.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If we add nothing, is it still wise to retain Green for our annual punchers chance?

Sure, its up for debate. "The East is wide open" but maybe its more wide open for like teams that have more cap space. Or for teams with a better balance between forwards and Dmen to be able to play any style. So maybe its not as "open" as we think.

To do damage in the playoffs we will need Ovi to be a monster / get PP goals, and we may need to win games 2-1. People complain when they see BT turtling but how BMac built us so far, its who we are. Overloaded at D, plus Ovi and Nick. Is Green a difference maker in our lineup? I am not seeing it.

Our offense is predicated on Ovi on the PP, not Green and the breakout.

Well, depends on what camp you're in :) And what you can get for Green (which we don't really know).

I'd flip Green for a cheaper vet D, with net profit in assets. I don't think it would make a huge difference in lessening Caps's puncher's chance.

If it's not possible (and obviously, eventually time will simply run out) or the net profit is less than a 1st round pick... then I wouldn't really care either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad