Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIV (TDL Poll: Who Goes?) **MOD WARNING POST #547**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed that looking at Sharp over the summer might make sense, depending on his injury prognosis. Chicago will be in a cap bind again with Toews' and Kane's raises kicking in.

Hard to say who should be moved out without knowing who is being moved in. Not surprised the whipping boys are leading the charge, though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I really wanted Winnik.
I thought Bergenheim could have added some energy to an increasingly listless and flat forward group.

There's always the separate question of who is coming out of the lineup or at a certain point being moved to facilitate a deal but something has to give. I don't think they can reasonably go into the playoffs with this forward group and hope to do much. They might as well trade Green if they plan on standing pat because it's likely to just be a learning experience for their younger players (and the coaching staff).

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I think the Capitals should try to acquire a top D on a reasonable contract. Maybe someone who is a top 4 somewhere else signed for 2-3 more years at around 2.5 - 3.0 million/season.

This way our D lines are great for the playoffs and we don't just have a rental D guy. Also, this way we have insurance if Green isn't brought back next year with our third D line still having somewhat of a veteran/proven on the line. Instead of having to worry about Schmidt/Carrick/etc "leading" a third line defensive pairing - we could have a reliable guy and someone with experience on it like Green is on it now. We've seen how much players like Orpik get overpaid in free agency, so I'd rather trade for someone for the 3rd line D guy instead of overpaying for someone in free agency.

Maybe a 2nd rd/Galiev for someone like Trevor Daley of the Dallas Stars? Or a 2nd rd/Galiev for Stephane Robidas of the Maple Leafs? Or 1st Rd/Galiev for Jared Cowen of Ottawa?

Thoughts on something like this?

Also, Orlov is a lefty, but he prefers playing on the opposite side.

I think this is a good way of keeping our D in good position with all three lines for the upcoming future. It's working out great for us having a solid D game in and game out. We haven't lost by more than 2 goals since like NOvember. If Schmidt/Orlov/etc all turn into a everyday NHL guy, they can still play opposite side the other defender just fine. Having two D guys being the same handed on the third line isn't the end of the world.

Govechkin

Nov 10, 2010
Problem here is we have lots of good young players that we don't want to trade away, but we also have a very strong team and a move or two could put us out front in the East. As long as we don't play the Rags. So where does Green fit in this discussion? If we keep him for the stretch run, we have him for...the stretch run. Can't see him signing for a discount, and we have too much money tied up in D in the next few years to keep playing him as 3rd pairing and PP. If we dump him, we can get returns to spend for help this year, or to get even more skilled futures in the pipeline while giving the younger guys a chance at D and reworking that money towards different endeavors...

Also, so so glad Jagr won't put on a Caps jersey... I was worried it was a possibility.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just sign a veteran defenseman in the summer. Robidas is garbage.

‏@JapersRink: "The Leafs traded Clarkson" is the new "Anything is possible"

There's hope! CBJ don't apparently want to pay Atkinson but traded for Clarkson. Crazy.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Isn't Horton done? (as in the txpd medical diagnosis of DONE)

I think that's what Toronto is hoping for. They would take a guy retiring/getting off the books just to get rid of Clarkson and his god awful contract.

Does this mean there's hope for Brooks Laich to be moved?!!!?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Did Toronto really just get a team to take on Clarkson's contract?!?!

AND they're in the Metro?? AWESOME.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Here's bottom line on Clarkson-Horton trade: Horton's contract wasn't insured. CBJ paying him to sit in stands and he's longshot to play.

Key point for CBJ. Moneybags Toronto don't care.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Here's bottom line on Clarkson-Horton trade: Horton's contract wasn't insured. CBJ paying him to sit in stands and he's longshot to play.

Paying Clarkson to play < Paying Horton to sit with no cap hit

So incredibly stupid for CBJ.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Portzline's tweet that the Blue Jackets didn't have insurance on Horton's contract (meaning they'd have to continue paying his salary to watch him not play) makes the deal make more sense. Still crazy and probably not a good move, but if you're a team on a budget (like Columbus) it makes some degree of sense to get a player that can at least suit up.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

So Toronto is literally paying 32 million dollars to make David Clarkson disappear.

Govechkin

Nov 10, 2010
At first I'm all like "glad we didn't make that deal, suckahs ... :laugh:"

And then I'm all like "I wish I had a trade :cry:"

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I wish the poll was who should the Caps be willing to give away. There are a lot of guys I think should be available, but obviously I don't want to trade all of them. Don't really know how to narrow it down.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wish the poll was who should the Caps be willing to give away. There are a lot of guys I think should be available, but obviously I don't want to trade all of them. Don't really know how to narrow it down.

That's kind of the point of the poll. ;)

Halpysback*

So Clarkson was actually available for all but free, we have a gritty top line RW hole and GMBM didn't make a move :facepalm:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I both agree and disagree.

On one hand, the poll is pretty ridiculous without knowing what assets they're getting back.
On the other hand, if it was "willing to give away," I would have checked every box aside of "nobody."

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
So Clarkson was actually available for all but free, we have a gritty top line RW hole and GMBM didn't make a move :facepalm:

Are you not aware of his contract or something? It's awful

He has 36 points in almost 120 games with the leafs. And you wanted this?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Atrocious contract, and a guy who barely produced the last couple of years. If we despise Laich and his production this year, we wouldn't even come close to liking this guy. It would've been an awful trade for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00