Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIII (Trade Deadline 2015 Target Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Caps are a good team this year. We are not a great team. BMac, Ted and Dick have to understand that buying this year will only serve to a) raise entertainment value ever so slightly and b) set back our Cup chances in 2017 and beyond c) waste more of Ovie's career and piss us off more than ever.

I am from the future and I can tell you that Caps don't win the Cup this year. Sell off Green, Mojo and build a better team for next year and the years after.

:deadhorse:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Don't get me wrong, it is a need, but it's strange we're so focused on adding a #6 D. Outside of protecting Green, depth on the blueline is hardly an issue.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Although I will say that in such a state of disarray up front that an experienced guy like Jagr is increasingly appealing, particularly if the cost is only their third rounder or something. I don't know if Trotz thinks he's quick enough overall to get in on the forecheck and the like but he does bring many things to the table that they lack overall (puck protection, composure/awareness on the puck and hockey sense). It's more of a matter of whether those things are really valued and I'm not sure they are (and, of course, the whole back story angle).

I'd be cool with adding a vet top 6er for an iffy draft pick like that. I don't really want Jagr in my life any more particularly but that kind of move would be ok. It might just as easily screw up the chemistry but we're not gonna win the prize this year anyway.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I'd be cool with adding a vet top 6er for an iffy draft pick like that. I don't really want Jagr in my life any more particularly but that kind of move would be ok. It might just as easily screw up the chemistry but we're not gonna win the prize this year anyway.

What chemistry? Outside of the top line, there has been no chemistry to note.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The Caps are a good team this year. We are not a great team. BMac, Ted and Dick have to understand that buying this year will only serve to a) raise entertainment value ever so slightly and b) set back our Cup chances in 2017 and beyond c) waste more of Ovie's career and piss us off more than ever.

I am from the future and I can tell you that Caps don't win the Cup this year. Sell off Green, Mojo and build a better team for next year and the years after.

:deadhorse:

That is the kind of thing you can say year after year too. I don't necessarily think this team is close to one of the best contenders but i think this year atleast takes long and hard to think about whether to contend or sell. Like it has been noted, East is wide open this season.

Fehr - 1.6m > raise
Johansson - 2.0m > raise
Holtby - 1.85m > raise
Beagle - 0.9m > raise
Kuznetsov - ELC > raise
Ward - 3m > Around the same/raise
Green - ~6m > raise

Hillen - 0.7m > same
Volpatti - 0.575m > bye

That's lots of players on a good contracts that won't be so in the future. You can throw in Burakovsky, Schmidt, Alzner and Carlson among the players that are looking for big raises too in couple of years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I literally laughed out loud at this part. I pictured him showing up at your door "Hai! It's me again, Jagr!" :laugh:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Define 'great team' please...

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
That is the kind of thing you can say year after year too. I don't necessarily think this team is close to one of the best contenders but i think this year atleast takes long and hard to think about whether to contend or sell. Like it has been noted, East is wide open this season.

Fehr - 1.6m > raise
Johansson - 2.0m > raise
Holtby - 1.85m > raise
Beagle - 0.9m > raise
Kuznetsov - ELC > raise
Ward - 3m > Around the same/raise
Green - ~6m > raise

Hillen - 0.7m > same
Volpatti - 0.575m > bye

That's lots of players on a good contracts that won't be so in the future. You can throw in Burakovsky, Schmidt, Alzner and Carlson among the players that are looking for big raises too in couple of years.

Unfortunately it has been true year after year with few or no exceptions. The Caps 80s teams were very tough to beat but ultimately our mediocre goalies and lack of depth at C separated us from the top teams. The 2009-2010 teams had potential but McPhee didn't have the right stuff to swap pieces in and out and that fell apart without hardly scaring anybody.

Winning the Stanley Cup is extremely difficult. We're not that close and I don't like the philosophy of lucking into a Cup because the east is wide open. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
The Washington Capitals are searching long and hard to add a top-nine forward before Monday’s deadline.

Among the names on their radar are believed to be Erik Cole, Curtis Glencross and, to some degree, Joffrey Lupul.

Cole and Glencross are straight-up rentals, and I think that Cole in particular, with his skating ability, is seen by the Caps as a good fit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/34810/rumblings-caps-targeting-top-nine-forward

LeBrun Rehashing what we know.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I literally laughed out loud at this part. I pictured him showing up at your door "Hai! It's me again, Jagr!" :laugh:

Haha! Good, I try to keep laughing myself. One day the Caps will win the damned Cup! It's going to happen! (I don't think Jaromir will be joining us for that).

Halpysback*

Who on this present day caps team is even left to be pissed at Jagr? I'm pretty sure half of them don't even know he ever played for the caps. Or are we reanimating Kono too? Then lets bring Lang back as well, he was good.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I was just looking at some of Cole's numbers this season. I think he'd be a nice third wheel for the top line (based on his WOWYs - he's made skill players like Spezza better, but grinders worse).

ryan519*

Bryzgalov was just put on waivers. He couldn't possibly be worse than Peters as a potential backup

He actually did pretty decent against us. Sucks in the shootout but that's not a big issue

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
How costly would a Daley + Cole package be? Would serve as a great Green replacement on the cheap.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Please tell me there is a reason why Cole has no playoff goals since 2002. Bad line mates?

The fact that he has only played in three playoff series since 2002 is probably a good reason why. The 08/09 numbers are pretty bad but he has played in 5 other playoff games outside of that season.

05/06- 2 games played 0 points
08/09- 18 games played 5 assists (32 shots)
13/14- 3 games played 0 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad