Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIII (Trade Deadline 2015 Target Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
That is the kind of thing you can say year after year too. I don't necessarily think this team is close to one of the best contenders but i think this year atleast takes long and hard to think about whether to contend or sell. Like it has been noted, East is wide open this season.

Fehr - 1.6m > raise
Johansson - 2.0m > raise
Holtby - 1.85m > raise
Beagle - 0.9m > raise
Kuznetsov - ELC > raise
Ward - 3m > Around the same/raise
Green - ~6m > raise

Hillen - 0.7m > same
Volpatti - 0.575m > bye

That's lots of players on a good contracts that won't be so in the future. You can throw in Burakovsky, Schmidt, Alzner and Carlson among the players that are looking for big raises too in couple of years.

Honestly, you could do the same thing for just about any team. The Rangers have St Louis, Zuccarello, Staal, and Talbot as UFAs, with Stepan, Hagelin, and Miller as RFAs. 46M going to 12 players next year. Montreal doesn't have a lot of important contract coming due, just Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but they've got 54M going to 14 players so they won't have room to add much either.

People keep saying "The East is wide open, this is our chance," but I don't see any reason to expect that if the cap doesn't raise by much, the East will get any less wide open next year. And if we can dump Laich, we'd probably be one of the only teams with enough room to actually improve. I really wouldn't mind it if we sold off Green and got a cheap replacement. We're pretty much guaranteed our playoff spot anyway, and getting some picks/prospects would make it easier to load up for next year.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The fact that he has only played in three playoff series since 2002 is probably a good reason why. The 08/09 numbers are pretty bad but he has played in 5 other playoff games outside of that season.

05/06- 2 games played 0 points
08/09- 18 games played 5 assists (32 shots)
13/14- 3 games played 0 points

that's not really an excuse that makes me feel better. 23 total games played, 0 goals.

any way to see his average amount of time played during that period? maybe he was stuck on a 4th line.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Please tell me there is a reason why Cole has no playoff goals since 2002. Bad line mates?

Well I'm sure missing the playoffs 9 times since then has had something to do with it...

Only once since then, in '09, did he play enough games to say there might be an issue.

I'm not in any way beating the drum for Cole but the whole 'no goals since 2002' argument is pretty disingenuous IMO...

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Glencross>>>Cole.

Cole is pretty useless in the playoffs. Glencross' game translates better, even without the XP.

Both are marginal moves.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Well I'm sure missing the playoffs 9 times since then has had something to do with it...

Only once since then, in '09, did he play enough games to say there might be an issue.

I'm not in any way beating the drum for Cole but the whole 'no goals since 2002' argument is pretty disingenuous IMO...

Meh, I voted for Cole based on his regular season then looked at the post season numbers and was kind of turned off by that. Maybe it's just me expecting more production. I'm not saying I don't want or like the guy, but I don't think he's an answer for the 1RW. Hopefully, he's cheap regardless and it's just addition by subtraction or addition with little cost.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
How would people feel about trading Green for a return like Sekera got (lottery protected 1st + good prospect) then using our 2nd and 3rd to get Hejda and Zidlicky? It's a net increase towards the cap of ~10K.

Halpysback*

Jagr will blow up team chemistry, they said, as they advocated bringing in a guy who got his neck broken by Brooks Orpik

ryan519*

The Caps are a good team this year. We are not a great team. BMac, Ted and Dick have to understand that buying this year will only serve to a) raise entertainment value ever so slightly and b) set back our Cup chances in 2017 and beyond c) waste more of Ovie's career and piss us off more than ever.

I am from the future and I can tell you that Caps don't win the Cup this year. Sell off Green, Mojo and build a better team for next year and the years after.

:deadhorse:

You think Trotz walks into the locker room, looks around and says, "**** it, we're clearly not good enough to win the cup boys, but I still expect you to go out there and give me your all" Uh, nah. I mean, yeah, the Caps probably won't win the cup this year, but it's not outrageous or impossible for them to win it as you are constantly making it out to be. Look at what the Kings did in 2012, and they were not an amazing team by any stretch of the imagination

Staying on topic with the thread, I think adding Jagr would be perfect for the top line. Forget about the past

Last edited by a moderator:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Erik Cole in the '09 playoffs, 4th in TOI among forwards, 4th in PP TOI, most PIMs by forward, and zero goals. He did lead the team in hits.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I am a bigger fan of playing Cole and Glencross over 65, 92, and 90 in the post season. Being harder to play against and with veterans who probably want it more is a recipe for post season success

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I am a bigger fan of playing Cole and Glencross over 65, 92, and 90 in the post season. Being harder to play against and with veterans who probably want it more is a recipe for post season success

A 2C, Glencross and someone like Hejda. That'd do it. Let the kids get spot time.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
You think Trotz walks into the locker room, looks around and says, "**** it, we're clearly not good enough to win the cup boys, but I still expect you to go out there and give me your all" Uh, nah. I mean, yeah, the Caps probably won't win the cup this year, but it's not outrageous or impossible for them to win it as you are constantly making it out to be. Look at what the Kings did in 2012, and they were not an amazing team by any stretch of the imagination

Staying on topic with the thread, I think adding Jagr would be perfect for the top line. Forget about the past

This thread is about roster building. A big part part of the value of following a sports team is watching the building of a roster. To draft a player like Scott Stevens in 1982, Pat Peake in 1991 or Ovie in 2004 and to watch them grow and hopefully to win.

I am positive on the Capitals right now if they build the team properly which BMac and Trotz are doing well so far. But if they trade prospects to go for it this year that will fail.

What % chance do you give he Caps to win the Cup this year? I say, .03%

I want the team to build a championship team. It takes time and smarts to do so. That's not negative. That's positively delightful. I want to win in June. I don't want to pretend in February.

Last edited by a moderator:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Honestly, you could do the same thing for just about any team. The Rangers have St Louis, Zuccarello, Staal, and Talbot as UFAs, with Stepan, Hagelin, and Miller as RFAs. 46M going to 12 players next year. Montreal doesn't have a lot of important contract coming due, just Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but they've got 54M going to 14 players so they won't have room to add much either.

People keep saying "The East is wide open, this is our chance," but I don't see any reason to expect that if the cap doesn't raise by much, the East will get any less wide open next year. And if we can dump Laich, we'd probably be one of the only teams with enough room to actually improve. I really wouldn't mind it if we sold off Green and got a cheap replacement. We're pretty much guaranteed our playoff spot anyway, and getting some picks/prospects would make it easier to load up for next year.

Not necessarily saying that.

My point was that if you don't trust your team enough to make some additions to get better chance, then it would be silly to just stand pat. You aren't going to be able to keep all of those players so either you go for it or you sell the expiring contracts you don't think you are able to resign and get cap friendly young assets in return, to make your chances better for next season.

Standing put and going into the playoffs with this team is expecting alot from Ovechkin, Backstrom and Holtby.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
How would people feel about trading Green for a return like Sekera got (lottery protected 1st + good prospect) then using our 2nd and 3rd to get Hejda and Zidlicky? It's a net increase towards the cap of ~10K.

And then lose Hejda and Zidlicky for nothing?!?!?!?!? Oh the humanity.... ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'd agree that Cole is a better "fit" than Jagr for the style we play. Neither are perfect but then again they are affordable.

I do believe if we could only make one addition that it should be the D. If we can roll 6 Dmen it will give us a strong comparative advantage on our competitors.

Chimera has shown in the last couple games why he belongs. The guy really brings it and in the playoffs it seems he always gets bumped up the lineup because he elevates his play.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd agree that Cole is a better "fit" than Jagr for the style we play. Neither are perfect but then again they are affordable.

I do believe if we could only make one addition that it should be the D. If we can roll 6 Dmen it will give us a strong comparative advantage on our competitors.

Chimera has shown in the last couple games why he belongs. The guy really brings it and in the playoffs it seems he always gets bumped up the lineup because he elevates his play.

Just like MaJo.

LOL, Eff that. Get Glenncross and Ference. AND Jagr. Blow it out!

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
And then lose Hejda and Zidlicky for nothing?!?!?!?!? Oh the humanity.... ;)

A scenario where you gain a 1st + prospect, still have a good 3rd pair AND you'll have money to sign the traded for guys(or other FA Dmen) if they play well. Oh the humanity indeed.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Trade him for Dylan Larkin and call it a day. Really not interested in giving up assets for rentals that will only make this team marginally better. Keep the picks/prospects. The guys on Sportsnet last night said that they'll be no hockey trades (acquiring players with term) before the TDL but rather it'll all be about moving UFAs. Caps have too many ? on the roster at this time, 1RW, entire 2nd line, 3rd line looks tired, the depth is just not there to make a deep run.

We're still dealing with McPhee's legacy and his letting go the likes of Forsberg, Eakin and picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad