Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIII (Trade Deadline 2015 Target Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Add in Holtby at $6M and they're there with the Rangers and Penguins at ~$56M to 15 players.

Safe to say if Brooks Laich isn't traded he's a prime buyout candidate if the NHLPA really doesn't use the inflator due to escrow fatigue. Maybe they could add Schmidt & Brown on the cheap to secure a couple spots. Maybe add in O'Brien to give him another cheap depth option. That still leaves them about $10M for five spots. There is no room for Mike Green as their fifth defenseman. Add another $4M to the cap and it's still a questionable use of resources, particularly if he's not an essential piece of their PP.

Realistically, Green should be traded if the package involves cheap NHL-ready talent with upside but he won't be because they're desperate to be relevant.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Add in Holtby at $6M and they're there with the Rangers and Penguins at ~$56M to 15 players.

Safe to say if Brooks Laich isn't traded he's a prime buyout candidate if the NHLPA really doesn't use the inflator due to escrow fatigue. Maybe they could add Schmidt & Brown on the cheap to secure a couple spots. Maybe add in O'Brien to give him another cheap depth option. That still leaves them about $10M for five spots. There is no room for Mike Green as their fifth defenseman. Add another $4M to the cap and it's still a questionable use of resources, particularly if he's not an essential piece of their PP.

Realistically, Green should be traded if the package involves cheap NHL-ready talent with upside but he won't be because they're desperate to be relevant.

I don't know. If they can bring in a good forward at the deadline, I'd take a run and whatever I can get for Green's rights to a Western Conference team over the summer.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

I sincerely hope they're talking to Laich right now trying to convince him to accept a trade to Calgary now or face being shipped to Buffalo/Edmonton in June when his partial NTC expires.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I sincerely hope they're talking to Laich right now trying to convince him to accept a trade to Calgary now or face being shipped to Buffalo/Edmonton in June when his partial NTC expires.

I'd imagine Laich would interest Calgary, since they're still in the thick of the playoff race. Maybe there's something there.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Laich has no goals in almost two months. What playoff team would be interested in that?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Everyone's trying to dump their Laichs. Laich makes Chimera seem like a very attractive acquisition.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Laich is better than any of the guys they could bring up from Abbotsford to fill the roster spot vacated by Glencross.

I'm sure the Flames would be reassured by that. He would also be the highest paid forward on the Flames on a 24 point pace.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I thought Laich and Chimmer were very good last night.

I'm focused more on this year. I saw an article about the underlying numbers regarding Glencross and its not encouraging. I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him if that now.

Schilling isn't bad but he is very raw. Hillen is stinko.

We def need a 6D and a top 6 winger there is no doubt.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
not that we didn't know...

Alex Prewitt @alex_prewitt
Trotz on available trade options: "There's not that big, sexy, difference-maker out there."

Alex Prewitt @alex_prewitt
Trotz on the deadline: "It takes two to dance. We're going to the dance and there's 30 guys and only like eight girls."

:laugh:

to be honest if they can't find a way to make an upgrade, then you do need to sell green. The team *AS IS* is not going to win the cup without some adjustments. They are so so close.

Halpysback*

Wonder if we can make a gentleman's agreement with Burkeviling to give a good payment for Glencross (ie 2nd + 3rd) now if he takes Laich in the offseason. Shipping Laich out while the team has feels for each other may backfire short term, but in the offseason they will be able to heal

Going into next year Laich, Johansson and Green should all be gone. Ideally Brouwer too but that may be too much locker room turn around.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 10m10 minutes ago
Trotz on the deadline: "It takes two to dance. We're going to the dance and there's 30 guys and only like eight girls."

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 2m2 minutes ago
Trotz's thoughts when Latta went onto the Pittsburgh bench after Wilson got dragged there: "Go get him Latts. Save him. There's a man down."

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 10m10 minutes ago

That's one of the best TDL quotes I've ever heard. It sums it up.

We are going to have 3 picks in the top 62 next year and I won't mind if we just keep them. We do have needs but no sense in paying stupid prices.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Joe B on 980 right now.

Says he doesn't expect a blockbuster deal before the deadline, but he does expect some movement. He expects a big body, physical, D-man to pair with Green and/or maybe a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad