Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
One objection -- I don't think our depth is average at all. We haven't had 3 lines truly capable of scoring since a couple of blips in the young guns era -- and those teams had a vastly inferior defense.

Sure, one should always look to upgrade talent. But it's legitimately tougher this year -- with a deep team, there are fewer obvious upgrades; and with the cap crunch you are more or less limited to looking at pure rentals.

Oh, our depth is amazing. In terms of our roster - when everyone is healthy we have a really good team and great 12 forwards overall.... but it's not like our third line right now is good enough to be top lines on other teams. It's good - but people are making it seem like we have four top 6 lines - which isn't the case at all.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Just two years ago Chicago's bottom pair in the playoffs was some combination of Timonen/Rozsival/Rundblad/TVR. So, you're wrong.

They also played hardly at all because they had at the time maybe the best defender in the NHL.... and their top D was much better than anything Caps have.

Caps don't have a true shut down #1 or elite offensive d man who can play two ways. Chicago can get away with it bc their guys were amazing in top 4 - especially top 2 and played massive minutes. There were games bottom D pairing combined for under 15 minutes! Caps are a team that plays all their defenders a decent amt. completely different situation

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Are you seriously implying Schmidt isn't an amazing 6th dman? How about the fact that he leads the capitals in zone entries, and is 9th in the league in zone entries for defencemen, He's also the 2nd best possession defencemen on the Capitals. Schmidt is really ****ing good and has been that way all year. He's third in completed breakout passes for the capitals, while having the second lowest turnover rate on the team.

Sorry, I don't think he's that good. He doesn't get on the board offensively - and he's weak defensively. Last year in playoffs he screwed up twice in one series that was costly - and got him scratched.

He's obviously the #6 on this Caps roster - and the one guy of everyone that's a skater that id say most likely to be moved.

GMBM said he's happy with our current forwards - so if he's going to make a move for a D guy, Schmidt IMO is the obvious guy that would be moved IF there is a move.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oh, our depth is amazing. In terms of our roster - when everyone is healthy we have a really good team and great 12 forwards overall.... but it's not like our third line right now is good enough to be top lines on other teams. It's good - but people are making it seem like we have four top 6 lines - which isn't the case at all.

What team has? I don't know any teams (since the salary cap came into existence) that had 4 top 6 lines and 3 top 4 D pairs. What you are wanting hasn't existed.

It's always about injuries, more than anything else.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
What team has? I don't know any teams (since the salary cap came into existence) that had 4 top 6 lines and 3 top 4 D pairs. What you are wanting hasn't existed.

It's always about injuries, more than anything else.

well last year the pens had 3 first lines basically. So there's always room for improvement.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Let's keep in mind they have serious inury problems on the blue line. Steve oleksy is playing now. Daly is out. Schultz is concussed and out. Masts is out. Now letang is out again. They are looking to add to survive

it looks like they'll be healthy come playoff time, which is all that matters.

Also I may be a minority here, but the Pens are still the best team in the league until proven otherwise, a 5 point lead in the regular season doesn't mean jack.

Last year we lost to the pens dispite poor series from Malkin and Crosby, it'll be much harder to win with one of them going off like Crosby in 2009.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Also I may be a minority here, but the Pens are still the best team in the league until proven otherwise, a 5 point lead in the regular season doesn't mean jack.

Last year we lost to the pens dispite poor series from Malkin and Crosby, it'll be much harder to win with one of them going off like Crosby in 2009.

Will they? Daly had knee surgery and is projected at 6 weeks. 6 weeks is the first week of April.
Who knows about when a concussion victim will return. Maata. Has a broken hand?

You also seem to be saying that with 3 dmen out for weeks that huttung the skids its a problem. I don't get that.

Burt is supposed to be back late march. I expect him to need a good number of games to find himself.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

All depends if they're healthy come playoff time. Right now they're looking pretty crippled.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
we probably won't see the pens until May (if we do at all), they should have at least 6 defensemen healthy and warmed up by then.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
I'm down with going for Shattenkirk, he could be the missing piece. But if we trade for him and give up Vrana (which will be the ask), and if the forwards, outside of the 1st line, crap the bed AGAIN, and we don't at least get to the Final, I'm done.

Shattenkirk is a good player, but he is a pure rental.

Hope is all some of us have and these better prospects give us that. I still haven't gotten over losing Forsberg and Eakin.

Will never be over Forsberg.....GMGM should take Orpik in the expansion draft simply for that.

Would have no problem doing a Gruby or MoJo, Vrana and a 1st for Shattenkirk. If we let Alzner walk in the summer, and are somehow able to offload Orpik's contract, there's a good chance we could make Shattenkirk a decent offer (and retain Oshie).

At any rate, now is the time to cash in our chips, I doubt we have this good of a chance again for a while.

Last edited:

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Are you seriously implying Schmidt isn't an amazing 6th dman? How about the fact that he leads the capitals in zone entries, and is 9th in the league in zone entries for defencemen, He's also the 2nd best possession defencemen on the Capitals. Schmidt is really ****ing good and has been that way all year. He's third in completed breakout passes for the capitals, while having the second lowest turnover rate on the team.

Personally I think Schmidt has been good (not great) this year, which is why I have little interest in extending Alzner at the 5.5+ he'll be asking for.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Will never be over Forsberg.....GMGM should take Orpik in the expansion draft simply for that (and signing Orpik to that contract to begin with).

Would have no problem doing a Gruby or MoJo, Vrana and a 1st for Shattenkirk. If we let Alzner walk in the summer, and are somehow able to offload Orpik's contract, there's a good chance we could make Shattenkirk a decent offer (and retain Oshie).

At any rate, now is the time to cash in our chips, I doubt we have this good of a chance again for a while.

But gmgm didn't sign orpik. Gmbm did

scorlovaf

Feb 19, 2017
Personally I think Schmidt has been good (not great) this year, which is why I have little interest in extending Alzner at the 5.5+ he'll be asking for.

I did a statistical analyzation on Schmidt. If all Capitals played the same amount of time Schmidt would be third in goals when he's on the ice. 4th in goals against when he's on the ice. 3rd in possession when he's on the ice. He's honestly really capabale of being a #3-4D but people are so blind to see it.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I did a statistical analyzation on Schmidt. If all Capitals played the same amount of time Schmidt would be third in goals when he's on the ice. 4th in goals against when he's on the ice. 3rd in possession when he's on the ice. He's honestly really capabale of being a #3-4D but people are so blind to see it.

lol there's a reason Schmidt gets the fewest ice time of all starting 6 defensemen.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane

I agree with you on Schmidt being a possible/capable if need be 3-4 D, he does still have some holes to his game at times, but he has really filled in to become one of our most dependable players night in and out.

IMHO he has played better than Alzner and Orpik this season in terms of consistency. That's why if we lost both of those guys would use the 11m savings to re-up Oshie and find a decent 5-6 D or two on the open market (if Bowey isn't ready next year, and assuming we don't land a player like Shattenkirk beforehand).

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
IMO:

Acquire a veteran 13th FWD type. I'm not sure how comfortable we should be with Sanford/Vrana being the 13th forward. Neither has looked amazing thus far and the playoffs are tough for young guys to adapt too. If this is our year to try to win, get some insurance and have someone you know who has been there and done that.

Acquire a d-man to be your 7th D. Again, someone how has been there and done that.

scorlovaf

Feb 19, 2017
I agree with you on Schmidt being a possible/capable if need be 3-4 D, he does still have some holes to his game at times, but he has really filled in to become one of our most dependable players night in and out.

IMHO he has played better than Alzner and Orpik this season in terms of consistency. That's why if we lost both of those guys would use the 11m savings to re-up Oshie and find a decent 5-6 D or two on the open market (if Bowey isn't ready next year, and assuming we don't land a player like Shattenkirk beforehand).
I agree with you so much right now, I think Schmidts been our 3rd or 4th best dman this year and I'll be so happy if he gets the chance next year.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Seidenberg would be a nice add.

GMBM's comments today were bizarre unless they're planning on replacing Grubs.

Their forward depth is weak. One more significant injury and they're spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad