Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This, I think we want a 3rd goalie knowing grubby is gone in the offseason and need to expose one to Vegas

We are league leading team with our best chance at a Stanley Cup in franchise history. Do you really think that a 3rd goalie is a priority?

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Personally I don't think we can stand pat with just minor "depth moves" but that's me. Our depth at both F and D is pretty thin if we suffer any serious injuries during (or prior to) the playoffs. Our roster when perfectly healthy is great, but that's risking a lot when looking at a four round playoff run.

This simply has to be the year to go all in, we have no idea who we're going to lose in the off-season, and our top players are not getting any younger. While we have some good prospects, there is no one I would trust to step up right now into a top 9 F or top 4 D role. This summer will be a difficult one roster wise, so we need to optimize the team while we can and go for it this year. We may not have this good of a chance again for a while.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
That ONE is Gruby, unless he's traded prior I guess.

If we truly are seeking a 3rd G, would have to assume it's to expose to Vegas. We don't need long-term G with Samsonov on the horizon so I suspect we'll be waiving Gruby as trade bait. Unless we get a good return no way I would let him go prior to the playoffs. If anything happens to Holts we at least know Gruby can step in and is capable of playing at a high level.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Personally I don't think we can stand pat with just minor "depth moves" but that's me. Our depth at both F and D is pretty thin if we suffer any serious injuries during (or prior to) the playoffs. Our roster when perfectly healthy is great, but that's risking a lot when looking at a four round playoff run.

This simply has to be the year to go all in, we have no idea who we're going to lose in the off-season, and our top players are not getting any younger. While we have some good prospects, there is no one I would trust to step up right now into a top 9 F or top 4 D role. This summer will be a difficult one roster wise, so we need to optimize the team while we can and go for it this year. We may not have this good of a chance again for a while.

A hickey team is a collection people that fill roles. Which bottom 6 player do you to scratch to make lineup room for the depth f you are talking about? Which d?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

While they say they're just interested in depth, I think it's more about value (or it should be). If they can land someone like Oduya on the cheap I wouldn't count it out, particularly if 2/44 remain a bit gimpy. Plus, I think Schmidt is probably the roster regular on shakiest ground anyway so if they could add a legit veteran third pair type it makes sense. I guess it's possible they could land a Boyle or Franson at the right price given the assets they have to work with if they're prepared to give up the right prospect but I'd at least rule out the rest I'd listed. We can likely also rule out Hansen since he's a non-rental that would introduce another potential issue to be dealt with pre-expansion draft.

Most anyone else on the rental market could make sense depending on the cost and whether they believe the player would buy in and accept being a reserve player initially. The one thing I'd rule out is them making a legit roster-altering hockey trade. They'll tweak and add as the market allows and that's about it. Anything more significant will wait until the off-season.

Edit: Having said that, the cap will be a limiting factor. They're likely not going to want to subtract anyone and CapFriendly has them with the ability to add a ~$2.6M AAV at the deadline. If they need a couple of recalls in the meantime that will shrink yet again. Burakovsky being out alone made it dip from more than $4M to where it is now.

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If Orpik and Niskanen are both out tomorrow, will we see the return of Orlov-Schmidt (perhaps with Ness-Chorney)?

As for the 3rd goalie issue, would have to imagine that has as much to do with Hershey's goaltending troubles this season - the same situation as Gilbert. If they can find someone who could serve as Holtby's backup next season (remember, Grubi being claimed in the draft would probably be preferable to Orlov getting claimed), that'd be great (but not necessary).

Also, remember last season Matt Murray was the Penguin's third-tier G behind MAF and Zatkoff - he ended up winning them the cup. If Holtby ended up missing the last six weeks of the season, you surely don't want a situation where you have to throw Grubi out every single game (which you'd have to with Vanacek and Cannatta behind him) because that increases the chances of your 1B getting injured too.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Typical we crush in January while being the best team - while other teams actually look at REALLY improving and get an advantage down the stretch.

Caps are the easiest team to predict. We have the best chance at a cup maybe ever - and may ever have in our lifetime and gm's main priority is "third goalie" when we have best goalie tandem in the NHL already. You can't make this up.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Typical we crush in January while being the best team - while other teams actually look at REALLY improving and get an advantage down the stretch.

Caps are the easiest team to predict. We have the best chance at a cup maybe ever - and may ever have in our lifetime and gm's main priority is "third goalie" when we have best goalie tandem in the NHL already. You can't make this up.

Except the trade deadline isn't today and gmbm said they were having discussions

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I hope questionable means their probably going to be good for tomorrow and its not a question of waiting for swelling to go to get imaging done.. Cause if they miss out on Shattenkirk...

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Except the trade deadline isn't today and gmbm said they were having discussions

He's not going to do anything significant. He just traded for D depth - said he wasn't even looking at forwards and thinks we are fine there - and his big priority is a third goalie... which is ridiculous.

He usually says the truth and I don't expect it to be any different this time around. If cbj, Pitt, or rangers make a big move and we stand pat, it could be a wasted opportunity by us - again

This should be the one year of all the years Caps are all in.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
While they say they're just interested in depth, I think it's more about value (or it should be). If they can land someone like Oduya on the cheap I wouldn't count it out, particularly if 2/44 remain a bit gimpy. Plus, I think Schmidt is probably the roster regular on shakiest ground anyway so if they could add a legit veteran third pair type it makes sense. I guess it's possible they could land a Boyle or Franson at the right price given the assets they have to work with if they're prepared to give up the right prospect but I'd at least rule out the rest I'd listed. We can likely also rule out Hansen since he's a non-rental that would introduce another potential issue to be dealt with pre-expansion draft.

Most anyone else on the rental market could make sense depending on the cost and whether they believe the player would buy in and accept being a reserve player initially. The one thing I'd rule out is them making a legit roster-altering hockey trade. They'll tweak and add as the market allows and that's about it. Anything more significant will wait until the off-season.

Edit: Having said that, the cap will be a limiting factor. They're likely not going to want to subtract anyone and CapFriendly has them with the ability to add a ~$2.6M AAV at the deadline. If they need a couple of recalls in the meantime that will shrink yet again. Burakovsky being out alone made it dip from more than $4M to where it is now.
While Dallas blueliner Johnny Oduya would be an ideal target for many contenders, there is concern over the shape of his ankle, which has caused him to miss time twice already this season (he currently is out of the lineup as a result of it). If he’s able to return in the coming days (or is at least close), there should still be some interest but if not, the Stars may be in tough to get the type of return they’re hoping for. Still with the Stars, there are no talks on an extension with pending UFA winger Patrick Eaves. With 21 goals and a cap hit of just $1MM, there will be plenty of teams interested in him over the next week. Source Brian La Rose Hockey Rumors

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sounds like Oduya should play a few games pre-deadline to give buyers a sense of where he's at. I'm not sure I love the fit with him presumably playing with Orpik if Schmidt can't hack it but you'd still have to figure if they were to add anyone they'll err on the side of being defensively responsible. He could also be a potential Alzner stopgap replacement next year if he has enough left in the tank.

Further narrowing sights in light of cap/cost value:

1,000,000 W Patrick Eaves
1,250,000 RW PA Parenteau
1,250,000 D Kyle Quincey
1,200,000 C Jay McClement
0,712,500 F PE Bellemare
1,500,000 LW Viktor Stalberg
2,000,000 W Jiri Hudler
0,800,000 D Greg Pateryn
2,000,000 C Brian Boyle
1,600,000 LW Teddy Purcell
0,800,000 LW Steve Ott
0,887,500 D Paul Postma
0,800,000 D Patrick Wiercioch
0,950,000 LW Tomas Jurco (RFA)
0,600,000 RW Adam Cracknell
1,000,000 LW Lauri Korpikoski
2,000,000 D Fedor Tyutin
1,025,000 LW Andrew Miller
1,300,000 C Mikhail Grigorenko (RFA)
1,800,000 C John Mitchell
2,250,000 D Nick Schultz
------------------------
2,750,000 D Brendan Smith
3,325,000 RD Cody Franson
3,750,000 D Johnny Oduya

The last three will require some salary retention and there are other more skilled forwards that would perhaps fit with some retention (less likely, though, IMO). Vanek's AAV is almost cheap enough at $2.6M but I doubt the Caps are players for him. To me this is the realistic market for them...along with whatever third string goalie is targeted (Zatkoff makes sense).

Maybe Sanford and Vrana are enough forward depth but I'm not sure they're factoring in just how tough the playoffs are. These will be the most challenging games they play so they need to plan accordingly and project forward with that reality firmly in mind.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I still want a 5C. I don't trust Sanford or Stephenson in that role. As a pure depth add McClement could be a nice budget piece as 5C, and could be healthy scratched without much 2nd thought when the roster is fully healthy. Boyle provides more upside, and could actually be a member of the regular 12 forwards (albeit on the wing, rather than center).

Florida is apparently scouting Mathieu Perreault pretty hard. He would actually provide some insurance should one of Backstrom or Kuznetsov go down as a top 6 center fill-in, and has played a lot of wing for Winnipeg (meaning he could potentially find a regular spot while the centers are healthy). Not sure I love giving up what it would cost to get him (especially with the optics of practically giving him away for free a few years ago), but it's a thought that crossed my mind.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Chris Nichols
‏@NicholsOnHockey

Follow
More
Dreger on Shattenkirk: "I’m told they’ve committed to trading him." #stlblues

Come on BMac! Please!!!

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I get the Caps don't want to rock the boat given the chemistry of the team. But for christ sake, they are one D being injured from having Chorney playing in a playoff game. That isn't good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia