Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
lol there's a reason Schmidt gets the fewest ice time of all starting 6 defensemen.

That's my only concern right there, ice time. Has Schmidt developed enough this year to sustain 20+ minutes consistency?

We should find out tomorrow night if both Orpik and Nisky are out. And we'll be going up against probably the best young run and gun offense in the league. Will be keeping a close eye to see how our inexperienced D (and Schmidt) respond.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
IMO:

Acquire a veteran 13th FWD type. I'm not sure how comfortable we should be with Sanford/Vrana being the 13th forward. Neither has looked amazing thus far and the playoffs are tough for young guys to adapt too. If this is our year to try to win, get some insurance and have someone you know who has been there and done that.

Acquire a d-man to be your 7th D. Again, someone how has been there and done that.

Would rather aim a bit higher, get a quality bottom to mid-6 forward (a Hanzal or Vrbata) and have Winnik as our 13th F (unless we lose a MoJo or similar player going the other way), or go for a top 2, maybe 4 D (think Shattenkirk or an OEL) and have Schmidt be our 7th.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Seidenberg would be a nice add.

GMBM's comments today were bizarre unless they're planning on replacing Grubs.

Their forward depth is weak. One more significant injury and they're spent.

All of our depth is weak (except at goal, at least until Gruby is gone). Knowing we will be unlikely (even if willing) to bolster both the F and D, I really think the D should be the priority for a long playoff run. That's why I again think taking a risk on Shattenkirk makes more sense than looking for F depth right now.

Made an off-handed offer last week for giving up Gruby, MoJo, Vrana and a 1st to the Coyotes for OEL and Hanzal (or Vrbata), that would be my dream trade right there. Get an elite, young offensive defenseman on a good contract while adding rental F depth.

Never happen, so may as well go all in on a Shattenkirk instead. Scoring can dry up in the playoffs, so consistent D and a hot goaltender make all the difference.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Winnik has been really good, no way you send him to the press box for a new guy and trade the little assests we have for it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would rather aim a bit higher, get a quality bottom to mid-6 forward (a Hanzal or Vrbata) and have Winnik as our 13th F (unless we lose a MoJo or similar player going the other way), or go for a top 2, maybe 4 D (think Shattenkirk or an OEL) and have Schmidt be our 7th.

Hanzal. Bench Beagle or Eller to get him in the lineup?
Vbrata. He is not a 4th line pk player. Bench Connolly or Burakovsky to get him in the game?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

They weren't bizarre. We are one significant injury to a goalie away from having Joe Cannata or Vitek Vanecek be our primary back up in the post season. Cannata has been horrendous and was demoted to the ECHL for a few games the past few weekends. Vanecek is very inconsistent and not at the level that Holtby, Neuvirth, or Varlamov were at when they got their cup of tea in the NHL

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They weren't bizarre. We are one significant injury to a goalie away from having Joe Cannata or Vitek Vanecek be our primary back up in the post season. Cannata has been horrendous and was demoted to the ECHL for a few games the past few weekends. Vanecek is very inconsistent and not at the level that Holtby, Neuvirth, or Varlamov were at when they got their cup of tea in the NHL

I can't remember a Caps GM ever addressing the 3rd string G option as trade deadline banter. Seemed odd to me, but I don't disagree with your assessment of those two.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hamilton is an overrated D, Shattenkirk is 10 times better. I'd go all-in, it's not the time to worry about the future. The window is going to close really fast after this year, if there was ever a time to make a big move it's now.

Niskanen is injured and we don't know how long it will last or if he'll be at 100% during the playoffs. Carlson and Alzner have been terrible for a while. Carlson was admittedly nicked up at the World Cup, and Alzner looks like he hasn't fully recovered from his injury last year in the playoffs.

Please GMBM, find a way to get Shattenkirk. At best, he pushes us over the top to win the Cup. At worst, he holds the fort for us in case Nisky hasn't recovered or someone else gets injured.

Look at the other contenders, they all have an elite D. We just don't, so we might as well load up on #2s and #3s.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

When was the last time a team lost both goaltenders in the playoffs? Has this EVER happened? If so, like, what, once?

Yes, odd priorities unless they think it'll be easier to add a goalie now than sign one to replace Grub next year.

And they could certainly used depth.

Vrana and Sanford are as green as can be and you will need spare forwards if you go 4 rounds.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hanzal. Bench Beagle or Eller to get him in the lineup?
Vbrata. He is not a 4th line pk player. Bench Connolly or Burakovsky to get him in the game?

Burakovsky is not gonna recover in time to be an impact player in the playoffs.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I can't remember a Caps GM ever addressing the 3rd string G option as trade deadline banter. Seemed odd to me, but I don't disagree with your assessment of those two.
Plus in need years prior we've had Dan Ellis and Justin Peters in the minors.

Which isn't saying a lot but at least they're not green.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
For an emergency 3rd stringer I think a guy like Michael Leighton makes a lot of sense.

Either that or Reto Berra possibly with some retention.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think getting a 3rd goalie is a good idea. Bolster Hershey. It sound like Cannata eh is a hot mess. It opens the door for a kings ransom panic driven deadline/draft day deal for Grubs that Mac cannot refuse. I doubt that happens but I like Brian's thinking. At worst he gets a body for Hershey now and gets to see first hand how he'd do serving as Holts backup next year.

Is Grubauer the leagues best backup? If he is valued more than we would use him, sure try and trade him. Screw George too, only George will pluck a game day regular from our lineup instead. I'd rather Grubs taken over all the others likely to be exposed.

I like BigMac talking up inking Oshie. It sends the right message to all concerned, even all the way down to the farm. It's obvious Oshie is a heart and soul busts his arse type that produces, and has thus earned public praise from our GM stating he wants him back. Even if its smoke and mirrors because we cannot afford him, I want Oshie recognized.

While I was expecting Gilbert to get recalled I think it's obvious we are now cycling through the prospects giving them callups. I like it with the playoffs, deadline, and expansion looming, but would love it if we actually let them play. He knows Gilbert's game already, and Ness needs the reps more.

scorlovaf

Feb 19, 2017
Hamilton is an overrated D, Shattenkirk is 10 times better. I'd go all-in, it's not the time to worry about the future. The window is going to close really fast after this year, if there was ever a time to make a big move it's now.

Niskanen is injured and we don't know how long it will last or if he'll be at 100% during the playoffs. Carlson and Alzner have been terrible for a while. Carlson was admittedly nicked up at the World Cup, and Alzner looks like he hasn't fully recovered from his injury last year in the playoffs.

Please GMBM, find a way to get Shattenkirk. At best, he pushes us over the top to win the Cup. At worst, he holds the fort for us in case Nisky hasn't recovered or someone else gets injured.

Look at the other contenders, they all have an elite D. We just don't, so we might as well load up on #2s and #3s.
Statiscally Hamilton has been a top 15 dman in the league this year.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Seidenberg is not in play. Isles shut out Montreal on the road. They are buyers not sellers, they are a playoff team at this moment.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
For all those frothing that we just gotta make a move at the TDL, one such Caps move just had another hat trick last night. This player also had a hat trick in the previous game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For all those frothing that we just gotta make a move at the TDL, one such Caps move just had another hat trick last night. This player also had a hat trick in the previous game.

Yet the Capitals were able to turn it around and still build a very competitive roster quickly after trading Forsberg for essentially nothing.

I'm not saying grossly overpay for a rental, but prospects and draft picks typically don't have the value people think they have so I'd be okay with adding a significant piece even if it means parting with some futures.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
So for anyone legitimately happy with this team hop over to the Pens roster building board where there are people there calling for 1-4 more moves. Some of which include adding more defense, a better 3rd line center, or "big game hunting" for a player like Duchene or Kane

The Caps will have to go through the Rangers and or the Penguins to win a cup. Both of those series can go 7 games with the rosters set now. If the Pens add a stud I don't like the chances, the Rangers are going to add and get better and I hate playing the Rangers in the playoffs even with a down year Lundquvist.

Please please please add to this team go for it all

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So for anyone legitimately happy with this team hop over to the Pens roster building board where there are people there calling for 1-4 more moves. Some of which include adding more defense, a better 3rd line center, or "big game hunting" for a player like Duchene or Kane

The Caps will have to go through the Rangers and or the Penguins to win a cup. Both of those series can go 7 games with the rosters set now. If the Pens add a stud I don't like the chances, the Rangers are going to add and get better and I hate playing the Rangers in the playoffs even with a down year Lundquvist.

Please please please add to this team go for it all

Forgive me if I am wrong. Are not the pens in deep injury boo on defense? Is not Bonino stinking it up this season? Is Sheary out with a significant injury? How is Cullen?

How many of the players they want to replace are performing. At or above expectations?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone want to compare the number and significance of trades made at the TDL by the eventual Cup winners vs how many other teams made moves and failed to win the Cup? I'd like to see that analysis for the salary cap era if anyone's interested.

Because I have a feeling there are far more moves that don't pan out due to the law of averages, but we only see and remember the ones that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad