Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
What? No that's how you get a horrible old boys club franchise. You don't just hand out jobs are rewards for on ice service.
Agreed, I was thinking his best work was working within the community. Maybe he could team up with Carley Johnston or something.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I know some fans will get butthurt over the Wings giving Abby a job, personally if management saw something in him that indicated he would be a good scout, I’m fine with it. If they are giving it to him “just because”, that’s a different story.

The reality though is that 99.9% of us have no clue how good he would be at.

If I’m him, unless a team takes a chance with a PTO, I’m just taking a year off.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know some fans will get butthurt over the Wings giving Abby a job, personally if management saw something in him that indicated he would be a good scout, I’m fine with it. If they are giving it to him “just because”, that’s a different story.

The reality though is that 99.9% of us have no clue how good he would be at.

If I’m him, unless a team takes a chance with a PTO, I’m just taking a year off.
Some valid points on the RW scout job etc.

If I'm him I'd try to get signed for minimum, at a last possible date with a SC contender & chase a Cup. He doesn't need the money.

Maybe he's a fit in GR for strength & conditioning? Teach the kids how to pull a piano etc.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Some valid points on the RW scout job etc.

If I'm him I sign for minimum at last possible date with a SC contender & chase a Cup. He doesn't need the money.

Maybe he's a fit in GR for strength & conditioning? Teach the kids how to pull a piano etc.
This line of thinking implies any contender would want him. He was the 13th forward on the worst team in decades. He’s not getting signed to an NHL deal

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
This line of thinking implies any contender would want him. He was the 13th forward on the worst team in decades. He’s not getting signed to an NHL deal

Thats why you just do a PTO. If he proves he's come around in training camp, sign him to a min contract. He doesnt, no harm.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thats why you just do a PTO. If he proves he's come around in training camp, sign him to a min contract. He doesnt, no harm.
He started off OK last season then got slower every game. So he might look OK in PTO, but it's not gonna last. A GM would be stupid to throw away money in a COVID shortened, money losing season. Besides, who's got cap space to burn?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He started off OK last season then got slower every game. So he might look OK in PTO, but it's not gonna last. A GM would be stupid to throw away money in a COVID shortened, money losing season. Besides, who's got cap space to burn?

Honestly, I don’t care enough about this to debate. It’s a frickin PTO....worst case he regresses and you send him down. I’m not saying us, and I’m not going to go through all the NHL teams cap situation to see who can afford a vet min 2 way contract for Abby.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Honestly, I don’t care enough about this to debate. It’s a frickin PTO....worst case he regresses and you send him down. I’m not saying us, and I’m not going to go through all the NHL teams cap situation to see who can afford a vet min 2 way contract for Abby.
Would be pretty insane for Abby to sign a 2 way considering he's making millions off the buyout. Not to mention that AHL teams (if they play at all) have veteran limits, so that just complicates their roster management.

I'm under the assumption that anyone suggesting that Abby can make the roster on an NHL team didn't watch any games last season.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Would be pretty insane for Abby to sign a 2 way considering he's making millions off the buyout. Not to mention that AHL teams (if they play at all) have veteran limits, so that just complicates their roster management.

I'm under the assumption that anyone suggesting that Abby can make the roster on an NHL team didn't watch any games last season.

Right? He couldn't play last year but Yzerman gave everyone a year to be evaluated... Abby cant play at an NHL level physically or skill wise. He just doesn't have any of the tools to be a serviceable player anymore unfortunately.

Reactions: Gniwder

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

We're talking a PTO here on any NHL team, this opportunity is given to a ton of guys just like Abby every year. I'm not saying "HE WILL BE SIGNED!" and I'm not making the argument he has the tools to be a serviceable player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
OK. It sounds like you really dont want Abby to get a PTO.
What I WANT has nothing to do with what WILL happen. I have better things to wish for.

Over the summer I kept saying Abby was likely to get bought out, and people interpreted that as me wishing for a buyout or arguing for a buyout. Neither being the case. I am simply stating that based on what I saw on the ice the past 2 seasons, his NHL career is done.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What I WANT has nothing to do with what WILL happen. I have better things to wish for.

Over the summer I kept saying Abby was likely to get bought out, and people interpreted that as me wishing for a buyout or arguing for a buyout. Neither being the case. I am simply stating that based on what I saw on the ice the past 2 seasons, his NHL career is done.

OK

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Why do we want to give a PTO to abby? We know what he is. He couldn't hold a spot on arguably the worst team in NHL history if you ignore expansion teams....

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why do we want to give a PTO to abby? We know what he is. He couldn't hold a spot on arguably the worst team in NHL history if you ignore expansion teams....

That was a joke, wings couldn’t give Abby a PTO if they wanted to.

Reactions: TheMule93

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sorry I get the purpose of that article. A boy chased his dreams and the stars aligned. It is inspiring and warm. But I don't have a single ounce of warmth towards Abby then and now. It's no fault of his own but he was the poster child of everything that was wrong with the wings since Lidstrom retired. He represented the lack of talent the lack of management and the lack of depth of the team. Playing him on the top line and powerplay with Cleary and Daytsuk will always be a top 5 atrocity I have ever witnessed with this team. And people wonder why Daytsuk left. He was the recipient of one of the worst contracts I have ever seen. Not a bad contract after a couple bad seasons towards the end, like the contract was one of the league worst contracts before the ink dried. I can't thnk of a single bigger example of the dead space that was 2012 through Yzerman being named GM than Justin F#$%%ing Abdelkader. We won nothing while he was here, he did nothing on the top line, he didn't excel at any single aspect of the game, he overstayed his welcome and took up a huge chunk of cap. Sorry but you don't get to ride off into the sunset. More like don't let the door hit you in the ass.

He made millions of dollars because we had a GM stupid enough to extend him and a coach stupid enough to give him top ice time. Be happy you are a millionaire despite your lack of talent and let the fans grieve the lack of success you represented.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sorry I get the purpose of that article. A boy chased his dreams and the stars aligned. It is inspiring and warm. But I don't have a single ounce of warmth towards Abby then and now. It's no fault of his own but he was the poster child of everything that was wrong with the wings since Lidstrom retired. He represented the lack of talent the lack of management and the lack of depth of the team. Playing him on the top line and powerplay with Cleary and Daytsuk will always be a top 5 atrocity I have ever witnessed with this team. And people wonder why Daytsuk left. He was the recipient of one of the worst contracts I have ever seen. Not a bad contract after a couple bad seasons towards the end, like the contract was one of the league worst contracts before the ink dried. I can't thnk of a single bigger example of the dead space that was 2012 through Yzerman being named GM than Justin F#$%%ing Abdelkader. We won nothing while he was here, he did nothing on the top line, he didn't excel at any single aspect of the game, he overstayed his welcome and took up a huge chunk of cap. Sorry but you don't get to ride off into the sunset. More like don't let the door hit you in the ass.

He made millions of dollars because we had a GM stupid enough to extend him and a coach stupid enough to give him top ice time. Be happy you are a millionaire despite your lack of talent and let the fans grieve the lack of success you represented.
You left out the best part..... where they decided he was too slow to be a third line center THEN moved him to first line winger, lol.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

You think datsyuk left because Abby was on his line? I was always under the impression that he requested to play with Abby. Where did you hear differently?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad